Advanced search

Child benefit

(9 Posts)
Sallyha Thu 02-Jun-11 14:25:14

I went to work abroad on my own for about a year in 2009 because both of husband and I had become unemployed. He stayed in the UK to look after our daughter, who was then 15. He then got a job and I came back in March last year. I did inform the Inland Revenue when I left and returned. A few weeks ago I received a letter from Child Benefit informing me I owed HMRC more than £1,000 because they had paid my daughter's child benefit into my account when I was away. I filled in a form giving the details and reasons for my absence. This was rejected and I had to call them to ask why. I did and was told the case officer would call me within five days. They didn't. This morning I received a letter from the HMRC's debt collection demanding payment, even before I made my appeal, which is not due for at least two weeks. I don't understand why I have to pay back the money since my daughter had remained in school in the UK. I have been unemployed since my return and certainly can't afford any spare cash, let alone pay such a big debt. Anyone has the same experience and could offer some advice as how to tackle this issue please?

fgaaagh Thu 02-Jun-11 14:27:28


Riveninside Thu 02-Jun-11 14:31:45

Surely your husband and child were entitled to the child benefit?

Hammy02 Thu 02-Jun-11 14:33:47

So OP, if you no longer have the money, where did it go? Did you send it to your DP?

tiredgranny Thu 02-Jun-11 14:37:45

y did u not have paid to husbands acc hope u wer not claiming tax credits as well if u were in the eu u might b ok but in reality it shoild have been paid to u husband/partner

TheLadyEvenstar Thu 02-Jun-11 14:38:47

OP, why did you not have it transferred to your husbands account while you were away? And if it was in your account you must have spent it tut tut

JeremyKylesPetProject Thu 02-Jun-11 14:40:18

Should it have been paid to you anyway? Surely your husband should have claimed it. Not you. I think this proves it tbh.

youarekidding Thu 02-Jun-11 14:43:50

I had problems with HMRC when I worked abroad for a UK company being paid by them (so was classed UK resident) but my P worked in said country and paid by them.

We were entitled to CB/TC due to me being 'in UK'.

We made a joint claim and had months of arguments as P didn't have NI no. Eventually I was told to make a claim as a LP which I refused to do as 1) I would get more than actually entitled too and 2) they wouldn't back pay til birth and I could only get it until my SMP ended (had 2 months left) as I didn't intend to go back to work for the same co. (they couldn't offer me suitable employment hours).

Won CB claim in a few weeks.

We fought etc and found/stated the reason we were entitled. Would they listen? er no. 3 years later I went to an indpendent tribunal (arranged by HMRC) with the doosier 1 inch thick they had sent me - and won from the letter on page 1 I'd sent which explains entitlement. hmm grin Tribunal was 3 minutes from intro's to end.

If your DH and DD remained in UK then as a family you are entitled. It should have gone into your DH account as he was the carer but you could argue your married so share funds.

BTW was it a joint account?

shirleyshortcut Thu 02-Jun-11 15:06:17

did husband claim it as well, so you got it twice?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: