Talk

Advanced search

To think 3 is a hell of a lot harder than the "terrible" twos?

(50 Posts)
smokinaces Thu 02-Jun-11 09:36:14

Oh My God.

I remember DS1 being difficult at 3, but think I blamed it all on having an 18mo as well.

But DS2 was 3 in March and I am pulling my hair out.

He is cheeky and loving, but my god he is antagonising, bullying, argumentative, destructive, disobediant and such hard work. And he knows exactly how to wind his 5yo brother up.

Tell me it gets easier. Please. Terrible twos are nothing on this! AIBU to think the terrible twos are just a warm up for the Terrifically Tiresome Threes?!

ziggyf Thu 02-Jun-11 09:37:47

I'm having a nightmare with my 3 year old too at the moment - he's being horrid! I just wish he would LISTEN! Argh.

So, no. YANBU.

Reality Thu 02-Jun-11 09:41:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AllThreeWays Thu 02-Jun-11 09:48:13

With my daughter I always said that terrible twos was a myth and and that it was terrible threes.
I think it is because they are so much cleverer at being naughty at three

shirleyshortcut Thu 02-Jun-11 09:48:46

sorry but wait till they get to 15, 16 & 17, you will long for the terrible 2s and 3s

aldiwhore Thu 02-Jun-11 09:52:33

Threes are definitely harder than twos.

My youngest is ahem aserting his individuality to great affect. As well as the normal threeness he's also learned a lot from his older brother. I'm trying to stick with a calm but firm approach but ARRRGH!!!

He's a cutie, and I do think there's a reason why 3 yr old ARE cute!

He constructs good arguments it has to be said, and his floor routine would get 9's all round. He's generally a 'good child' however once he's on the road to tantrumville there's little you can do to stop it and differently to his older brother if you ignore him, it only gets worse.

He listens, agrees, then does the exact opposite.

Doesn't help that he's an absolute angel at pre-school, so it must just be me!

smokinaces Thu 02-Jun-11 09:53:28

Shirley, dont say that! I'm hoping being boys they will turn into teenage lads that just sleep all day and grunt.

I'm being disillusional arent I!?!?

5318008 Thu 02-Jun-11 10:09:14

hahahahaha another one saying just you WAIT til they are 10 and 12 <necks valium>

no, really, I agree, 3 is DEADLY

you have my sympathies

aldiwhore Thu 02-Jun-11 10:11:26

I'm finding that 7 year old is just lovely! I assume that's purely to lull me into a false sense of security?

I was a nightmare teen, I hope my kids have more of their dad's genes because he was lovely apparantly.

sausagesandmarmelade Thu 02-Jun-11 10:12:26

The tantrums can be horrendous!!!!

ChickensHaveNoEyebrows Thu 02-Jun-11 10:14:39

3 is much worse than 2. At 2, they throw tantrums physically. At 3, they can use their fearsome minds.

PacificDogwood Thu 02-Jun-11 10:15:30

YAsooooooNBU!

DS3 is 3.2 and terrorises everybody and everything in his reach.
This started when he was 16 months old...
<<sits twitching in the corner and vows to take homemade cake to his nursery where he is of course a delightful child>>

Oh, and yes, 7 and 8 is lovely smile, even after 4-5 they turn into quite entertaining little people with the ability to express themselves with words - and they tend to throw less stuff when in a huff wink.

shirleyshortcut Thu 02-Jun-11 10:15:41

oh mine was an angel until he was 15, then he turned into a horrible Kevin Patterson overnight - gladly he has turned nice again now smile

Groovee Thu 02-Jun-11 10:15:52

traumatic 3's we called them here

glassofwhiteanybody Thu 02-Jun-11 10:16:22

I found 3 harder than 2. At 3 they're more determined how they want to do things and less easily distracted

CatIsSleepy Thu 02-Jun-11 10:18:01

dd1 was appalling at 3 and pretty terrible at 4

getting more reasonable at 5 but still with stroppy interludes...

got it all to look forward to with dd2 grin

KaraStarbuckThrace Thu 02-Jun-11 10:21:51

come and join us on this thread then
YADNBU!! Some one on the above thread coined the term 'threenager' grin

PacificDogwood Thu 02-Jun-11 10:21:58

Oooh, I love 'Traumatic 3' and will need to steal it, Groovee.

And, yes, remind me, why did I choose to do it all again (DS4 14 months)?? wink

olibeansmummy Thu 02-Jun-11 10:26:09

oh god, don't say that, ds was only 2 last week and is already seriously hard work!

sheepgomeep Thu 02-Jun-11 10:29:30

dd2 was an angel at 2 and 3 but oh i am so paying for my smugness now she has reached the fearsome fours. I swear she changed overnight the minute she hit four.

treesinthebreeze Thu 02-Jun-11 10:38:01

2 was pretty bad and 3 was just bloody awful! 4 seems to be slightly better....but only just.

EssexGurl Thu 02-Jun-11 10:45:30

DS was a lovely toddler and DH and I congratulated ourselves on not having a "terrible two's" little boy. Then he hit 3 and all hell broke loose. It was harder as he was bigger, stronger and it was verbal as well as physical. DD has just turned 2 and she is a stroppy little madam. God help us if this is going to be a "good" year!!!

lljkk Thu 02-Jun-11 10:49:42

3yo DS spent 45 min. tantrumming this morning because I made him get dressed and wouldn't let him eat on my lap (latest big issue, sigh).

Chandon Thu 02-Jun-11 10:54:58

when my DSs were 3 and 5 it was just getting a bit easier, and from then on it got progressively easier day by day.

Now they are 6 and 8, and I guess they are playing happily (knock wood) have not seen them yet today!!!

happy days smile

GentleOtter Thu 02-Jun-11 10:58:27

Oh God, are they the 'fearsome fours'? <gibber>

We only have a couple of weeks left of threenager and are wondering if we have a changeling. He was sweet and cuddly this morning then sidled up 'to wipe his germs on me'.
Strops are had for using the wrong spoon, bowl, socks and he has started climbing in beside us again at night. Noisily.

<necks some of 5318008's valium>

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: