Talk

Advanced search

...to be paranoid about my nipples?

(10 Posts)
JaneFonda Thu 02-Jun-11 00:47:45

I am currently pregnant with twins, and am starting to get a bit worried!

One of my concerns is to do with breastfeeding.

I have 2 DS's already, but when they were born they were both very poorly babies (in incubators etc. for the first few months of their lives), so I have never breastfed.

My worry is that my nipples seem REALLY oversensitive, even when I wasn't pregnant I felt sick when they were touched, and I couldn't wear a top without a bra because it made me feel funny when my nipples touched the fabric.

Does this mean breastfeeding won't be an option at all, if my nipples are SO sensitive?

Orbinator Thu 02-Jun-11 00:52:54

I really want to BF too (my first) and have been advised to use the Lanolin cream. I know they also sell nipple shields, but have yet to find out just what use they are, if any, and how adaptable baby is to them... Marking place on post! Let's hope someone nice comes along to help put our minds at rest grin

bobbismum Thu 02-Jun-11 00:58:25

Hi JaneFonda You may find breastfeeding will help to 'toughen up' your nipples. If when babies are born and you feed them it is still very uncomfortable you may be able to express and cup/syringe feed babies your milk.
Are there any breastfeeding support groups in your area? They are sometimes (if you're lucky) attached to ante-natal groups. Your midwife should know if any of these groups are running in your area.
Also Le Leche League is a great source of info and help.

bobbismum Thu 02-Jun-11 01:01:48

Nipple shields can be useful although I haven't heard great things about them. Once you get the hang of feeding and you have a good latch on from baby and good flow of milk you'll probably find a shield wouldn't be needed and they are generally only a good temporary solution anyhow.

MichaelaS Thu 02-Jun-11 01:02:29

hello - I think its too soon to tell - wait and see how you feel when they are out! :-)

there are lots of things you can try.... nipple shields might help, lanolin for cracking or soreness (or rub some of your own milk in), and you can also hand express milk - sometimes it's easier to take the first bit of milk out to help a very new baby latch on. Remember it takes a few days for your milk to come in with any big volume, and some mums find it very frustrating, painful or worrying. But it doesn't have to be that way, some just take to bf with no problems at all. :-)

Sorry to hear your DS were poorly at birth - mine too (24 weeker). We got excellent bf advice just after birth (re expressing) and later to transition from expressing to bf, and even then I only ever managed to mixed feed with lots of drugs to boost supply, but i'm very proud of myself for managing it, and completely admit this success was due to the great help I got.

So, last tip is to find a lactation consultant, breastfeeding advisor, maternity nurse or anyone else similar who can advise you.

Good luck, and congrats on your twins!

MillyR Thu 02-Jun-11 01:07:32

Hi JF, I really didn't like my nipples being touched, until I started breastfeeding. I didn't have any problems breastfeeding at all and had no sensitivity issues. Before starting breastfeeding I was really worried, just like you, that I would have problems.

The important thing is to get the latch right, so that the baby's tongue is low down and not rubbing your nipple, but a midwife can check that for you.

bobbismum Thu 02-Jun-11 01:09:23

Hi Orbinator, Lonolin is a good thing to have in if you're planning to breastfeed. It's worth bearing in mind Ladies that nipples do become more sensitive during pregnancy and it doesn't necessarily mean that your nipples will remain as sensitive once baby/ies is born

Orbinator Thu 02-Jun-11 01:22:17

Thanks Bob. Got the lanolin all packed in hospital bag in case! Think I'm really lucky as the hospital up the road from me has started a La Leche group on Fri mornings. I fully intend to go.
Anyone know if I can turn up pre-birth to these meetings - do you have to pay? Don't want to feel I'm just staring at women wapping their boobs out all around me blush

bobbismum Thu 02-Jun-11 01:50:37

Brilliant that you have a group nearby, they are sooooo good!
Best to phone prior to going if possible just to check what's what-most details for LLL meetings can be found on their website-will try and post link for you but forgive me I'm new on here and have never posted a link before so apologies in advance if it doesn't work! blush You'll find a contact number,if you don't already have it for your group on there and yes its usually absolutely fine to go along when pregnant

www.laleche.org.uk/pages/groups/groups.htm

Orbinator Thu 02-Jun-11 01:57:12

Well done, it came up!
Think my group is so new it's not on there under the county! May just ask MW when I next see her I think smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: