Talk

Advanced search

Not Sure If If Friend Is Being A Bit Cheeky Or Not

(54 Posts)
zukiecat Wed 01-Jun-11 23:07:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

squeakytoy Wed 01-Jun-11 23:08:42

I dont understand how that would work unless they are next door neighbours who can pick up the signal from the router?

hairfullofsnakes Wed 01-Jun-11 23:09:37

Not sure of the technical aspect but keep
Saying no to the cheeky git!

bupcakesandcunting Wed 01-Jun-11 23:09:42

I think cheeky cow. Pop round to hers tomorrow and tell her you'll be using her phone to make all of your calls since you don't want to pay for use of your own phone.

Some people...

fairydoll Wed 01-Jun-11 23:11:36

If it doesn't cost any more to let friends kids use the internet, then I think it is cheeky to expect them to pay a share of the bill TBH. I suppose it is is a bit cheeky to ask, but I wouldn't mind cross my mind to say no to 'sharing' if it didn't cause me detriment.

zukiecat Wed 01-Jun-11 23:11:44

PaddingtonStare Wed 01-Jun-11 23:12:33

A neighbour kindly did this for us (he offered, I didn't ask) as I was soon to be moving and didn't want to be committed to a long term contract. I was very grateful and in return, despite his protests, gave him roughly what it cost per month for his broadband charges. I've since heard that doing this can allow the borrower, if they're smart and unpleasant enough, to access the owner's computer, which is why it's not advised.

If that's true then on that alone you should say no. I would anyway because I think it's darn rude to ask.

zukiecat Wed 01-Jun-11 23:14:50

PaddingtonStare Wed 01-Jun-11 23:14:52

Blimey! I assumed that your friend was a neighbour wwho wanted to share through the walls too. So not only do they ask and assume that you'll say yes but they want to impose on you by coming to your house to use your broadband? I'd tell them to take a hike.

sunnydelight Wed 01-Jun-11 23:17:14

The only thing I can imagine is that she wants to use your wifi and as squeaky says you would have to be really close for that. Depending on the deal you have someone else using your broadband might use up your download limits (we used to have to keep a close eye on DS1's YouTube use until we upgraded our package) so there is no way I would let teenagers go for it. In any case you are right, she is being cheeky, does she hook her electricity up to next door's as well!

DamselInDisarray Wed 01-Jun-11 23:17:57

Friend B may be getting extra charges because friend A's Internet use is pushing her over her contracted allowance every month. It's very easy to do so, and I wouldn't be happy about paying for someone else's Internet access.

NulliusInVerba Wed 01-Jun-11 23:19:15

I'd be a bit wary of anyone wanting my password for anything to be honest.....some very nosey people out there.

zukiecat Wed 01-Jun-11 23:20:14

Arion Wed 01-Jun-11 23:21:04

There are limits on usage (ours is 10 gig per month), the more people on the more chance of going over these limits (especially if downloading music, film etc) and this will cost.

As before, someone accessing your broadband can access your Internet history, don't do it.

Oh and YANBU, she's a cheeky mare!

Arion Wed 01-Jun-11 23:23:06

I obviously don't type fast enough! X posted quite a lot there!

seeker Wed 01-Jun-11 23:26:04

we have two neighbours who use our wireless internet. I really can;t see the problem. It doesn;t cost us any more - we have to have it for dp's work so why shouldn;t other people benefit, instead of giving big business any more money?

zukiecat Wed 01-Jun-11 23:26:10

DamselInDisarray Wed 01-Jun-11 23:26:23

It amazes me that anyone would expect to not have to pay for their own broadband. Why should you have broadband I'd you aren't willing to pay? It's not my friends' responsibility to provide me with free broadband.

More people using it will also slow it down. Could you imagine how annoying it would be to have someone else's kids watching YouTube and preventing you from using your own broadband effectively.

Your friend should drop the sense of entitlement and pay her own way or go without.

ScrotalPantomime Wed 01-Jun-11 23:27:21

I'm assuming it means using your wifi.

FWIW I've offered my friends/family the code so they can easily join the wifi when they are here, but only so it makes their existing Internet (they all have 3G in their contract phones) faster. It's not like they're stealing my Internet or anything.

What a cheeky mare. Broadband is really cheap, I get mine with phone for £17 and that includes line rental (I don't pay BT anything) and lots of free calls... Hardly a stretch for most people, many mobile contracts are double that! We don't have sky or anything so it's really good value.

I can't help wondering and am desperate for you to have a good old bitch about what else she scrounges off her mates hmm

saycheese Wed 01-Jun-11 23:27:40

How can they check your internet history, I let my downstairs neighbour use mine x

pigletmania Wed 01-Jun-11 23:30:52

Cheeky mare keep saying no. Even if your dd was not paying for it, just say no! There are some awful freeloaders about.

CandyS Wed 01-Jun-11 23:33:12

Bollocks to your friend, YANBU, ask to borrow her car then protest when she asks if you've refilled the tank. grin

If you'd offered, fair enough..but to expect you to say yes, and let her do it for free is a bit rich tight!

Orbinator Wed 01-Jun-11 23:38:59

Some people don't have a basic grip, do they? If she has Sky Plus perhaps you could send her a long list of things she could record for you so that you can watch them at leisure at her house? grin

Yes, I'm one of those annoying people who will tell you if I think you are being rude, which is what I'd suggest you do to her. Explain it very calmly to her and maybe she will see why it's not on.

zukiecat Thu 02-Jun-11 10:06:58

shirleyshortcut Thu 02-Jun-11 10:09:07

BT have open wi-fi spots that you can log into if you have a username/pword

i suppose thats what she means

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: