Talk

Advanced search

Is it an imposition to ask a neighbour to feed cat/water garden for a week?

(22 Posts)
bringinghomethebacon Wed 01-Jun-11 22:56:36

Just wondering, we haven't lived here long but on speaking terms with three of our neighbours and are going away for a week. The cattery keeps putting their prices up and is now ridiculously expensive so I thought I would ask neighbours if they minded, but I hate hate hate that feeling of obligation to someone and don't want them to be annoyed. I would of course offer to do the same for them but our immediate neighbours have adult children who live very nearby and one rent and I don't think would be so bothered about their garden (we have a veg patch, they don't really have flowers or veg) , neither have pets! Both work part time so would be around I think. Would you mind if you were my neighbour?

Punkatheart Wed 01-Jun-11 22:58:49

No. I would feed your cat, change its litter and water your plants. I do the same for my neighbours minus the cat bit - I also put their post on the side so that it doesn't look like they are away and put their bins out and back.

Just ask!

mistressploppy Wed 01-Jun-11 23:00:30

I'd be delighted as then I could have a nosy at your house grin

Goblinchild Wed 01-Jun-11 23:00:53

This is one of my teenager's holiday jobs. He gets paid £5 a day, but it involves quite a lot of animals and numerous pots as well as the garden

eurochick Wed 01-Jun-11 23:02:34

We often do this for our neighbours. They usually pay the cleaner to do it, but if she is unable to, we take over. They usually buy us a bottle of (shit) wine, which is fine. I don't like the cats being on their own for ages. At least when we go round if we have the time we fuss them a bit.

CoffeeDodger Wed 01-Jun-11 23:03:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PaddingtonStare Wed 01-Jun-11 23:06:54

I wouldn't mind being asked in the least though like you I'd feel awkward being the one doing the asking. Is there a local teenager you feel you could trust who you might ask to do it in return for some pocket money?

My daughter's friend fed our cats while we were away for a weekend recently. She didn't even want to take anything for it and I struggled to get her to accept £10. In my mind it was a piffling sum in comparison to a cattery or professional sitter and I was very grateful to her.

AuntiePickleBottom Wed 01-Jun-11 23:12:17

i would do it no problems, just bring me back a stick of rock to add to my collection

IhateMarlo Wed 01-Jun-11 23:16:30

Why not ask them if they know anyone local who would be happy to do this, then they have 3 options
[a] offer to do it.
[b] recommend someone
[c] say sorry no don’t know anyone try local paper etc.
Then there’s no awkwardness, they don’t feel obliged and you don’t get embarrassed

Joolyjoolyjoo Wed 01-Jun-11 23:23:46

I have a neighbour who feeds our rabbits while we are away, but we have known him for years and pay him on our return.

It's not a huge imposition, no, BUT it could potentially become one if the cat becomes ill/ house gets broken into etc. I see a few harassed cat minders in the vets with their neighbour's cat/ rabbit etc. My mum canary-sat once for a dear friend, and said canary sadly died, after a few desperate trips to the vet and a whole lot of angst for mum. So if you are going to get someone to do it, make sure they know what the procedure would be in an emergency!

I had friends house-sit while we were away once- they had hassles from the neighbours because our dogs barked a couple of times, and then my poor cat was run over and died sad They felt terrible about it.

Likewise, neighbours looked after my parents house once when they went away at winter, and the pipes burst, leaving the poor neighbours with the job of finding a plumber on NYE and doing a clean up job (luckily they were also good friends)

So, if everything goes smoothly, it's hardly an imposition at all, but if things go wrong it can be!

MumblingRagDoll Wed 01-Jun-11 23:25:53

I would not mind at all....I like it when the neighbours ask for a favour...makes me feel part of the community.

fedupofnamechanging Wed 01-Jun-11 23:29:52

I think it depends on how busy your neighbours are. If they've got a lot on, then it might be a hassle to them. Personally, I wouldn't want to feel beholden to my neighbours so wouldn't ask. I'd rather pay for the cattery.

Also if you don't know them that well, do you really want them nosing around your house?

sayithowitis Wed 01-Jun-11 23:32:26

I look after me neighbour's pets when she is away and though I would happily do it for nowt, she always treats me to something rather nice upon her return.

PilgrimSoul Wed 01-Jun-11 23:32:34

I always pay a neighbours child, even if the child is too young for the responsibility. It takes the awkwardness out of paying neighbour/ feeling under obligation.

Icelollycraving Thu 02-Jun-11 00:21:40

I have had a catsitter come in before,does cost around £10 per day. You should ask if there is a teenager but I wouldn't want to be expected to do it every time by a neighbour that they are away.

Tommy Thu 02-Jun-11 00:23:34

I always feel bad about asking my neighbour but as she quite rightly points out, it hardly takes any time to nip in a feed a cat every day does it?
smile

cat64 Thu 02-Jun-11 00:27:42

Message withdrawn

nightowlmostly Thu 02-Jun-11 03:02:25

I have the same issue, nobody nearby that I know to look after cats and plants if we go away, we used to use the cattery but they keep getting more and more expensive!

We asked at our vet and one of the vetinary nurses there now does this for us, only £7 a day. It's nice to now that someone is coming round regularly to check on things and sort out the mail and stuff, it's more secure especially if you don't know your neighbours very well.

Our next door neighbour has loads of cats and I don't think she works so she could probably do it, but I feel funny about asking her because I don't know her really, and I don't want her poking around my house!

iscream Thu 02-Jun-11 03:52:13

I would not ask someone to do it as a favour. I'd ask them if they could recommend anyone to feed the cat, and I'd put a timer on the garden sprinkler to water the garden. We put a timer on our sprinkler when we go away, and have hired a friends teenager or else paid sons gf to care for the cat/pets and indoor cats.

ratspeaker Thu 02-Jun-11 09:14:52

I have gladly looked after my neighbours cat
I'm sure she would do the same for us
We have a cat so we're used to them, so not a problem to feed, give fresh water water and change the cat lit
I asked what vet she uses in case of emergencies, same vet as us
She usually gets us fancy chocolates or brings us back something nice if its been a holiday.

Punkatheart Thu 02-Jun-11 09:16:05

That's interesting about the vet nurse - especially if the cat has medical needs, like ours.

But why not ask as a favour. My neighbours are dying to look after our chickens!

aldiwhore Thu 02-Jun-11 09:20:38

Our cat is an outdoorsy farm cat so any 'care' is minimal really, our neighbours have always been happy to look after her whilst we're away, but we don't leave a key for the house, luckily we have a very snug shed that our cat sleeps in a lot of the time anyway. I put all my houseplants outside.

We leave our mobile numbers and if there was a problem with the cat our neighbours would ring us first before agreeing to treatment at a vets.

We always bring back a gift for them... our garden looked amazing last time we went away as our neighbours fed all the plants, mowed the lawn and ecen strimmed the hedges! He got a night out at the pub for his efforts.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: