Talk

Advanced search

In thinking this is offensive as well as just plain ridiculous? (weight related)

(16 Posts)
Megatron Wed 01-Jun-11 15:54:38

Listening to local radio this morning in the car. Shocking station but it's all I can get in my clapped out old banger.

One of the discussions of the morning was this; 'Is it OK to abuse (and yes, they used that word) overweight people to get them to do something about their weight?' Now I am rarely speechless but was astounded that many people seem to find this acceptable as a way to 'kick someone into touch' and get them to lose weight. No mention about any other emotional issues that may be present. Granted I didn't hear every single call but what I did hear certainly suggested that a large number of people don't seem to find anything wrong with this. I'm not overweight so it's not a personal issue for me but I was genuinely surprised.

AIBU or are they all twats?

pudding25 Wed 01-Jun-11 15:56:22

They are all twats.

LaurieFairyCake Wed 01-Jun-11 16:00:01

Was it scumbag fm?

Salmotrutta Wed 01-Jun-11 16:00:59

Abusing anyone to try and get them to address any issue is disgraceful.
And why would anyone even think it was OK? confused

BimboNo5 Wed 01-Jun-11 16:02:27

They are twats but ive seen many people on here alone that seem to think its ok.

Salmotrutta Wed 01-Jun-11 16:03:03

And what did they mean by abuse exactly? Was it shouting insults/having a go/bullying people into "conforming"?? Horrible.

GwendolineMaryLacey Wed 01-Jun-11 16:06:29

Agree with Bimbo. I have seen some shocking attitudes on here so it's totally unsurprising that people in RL hold these views. People who are overweight are the only group of people who it is still acceptable to abuse.

JBellingham Wed 01-Jun-11 16:07:21

You can abuse fat people on the radio in the morning, everyone knows they are either watching Jeremy Kyle or starting their scooters up to head to the chippy ready for lunch.

ZombiePlan Wed 01-Jun-11 16:07:24

YANBU

PS Megatron - how is your friend with the twatty "not-so-D"H getting on?

Megatron Wed 01-Jun-11 16:07:49

It was 3 counties radio. They were talking about verbally abusing people who are overweight, being a kind of kick start to 'doing something about it'. Almost suggesting that people should be shamed into it. Obv not everyone agreed but I was just surprised that anyone did at all!

katvond Wed 01-Jun-11 16:09:17

No group is acceptable to abuse,what a horrible thing for a radio station to say.
What station was it? I would complain if I was you.

Megatron Wed 01-Jun-11 16:10:00

Zombie My friend is doing fantastic! Twatty DH is staying at his mums for the time being though she doesn't want the marriage to end she is not making it easy for him. I don't really know what the future holds for them but she is strong, positive and totally amazing actually. Thanks for asking. smile

katvond Wed 01-Jun-11 16:17:26

Megatron you'll find some smallminded assole that agrees with the radio station,there always is. Will they abuse skinny people to eat and put weight on? methinks not.

ZombiePlan Wed 01-Jun-11 16:20:47

Yay for her Megatron grin

charitygirl Wed 01-Jun-11 16:22:50

Seeing as how society shames and abuses fat people on a daily basis, if this approach worked, there would be no fat people.

I've said it before..you can't hate someone for their own good.

SardineQueen Wed 01-Jun-11 16:29:16

hmm they were advocating shouting abuse at random fat people while out and about?

In what universe can that be right?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: