Talk

Advanced search

To move to a flat with no garden with a toddler?

(26 Posts)
Mamaone Wed 01-Jun-11 13:47:35

Just what it says on the tin really. We are just about to sign the agreement to rent a flat - amazing area, has the space we need, very nice. It does have a balcony (safe-ish), a communal garden area (nice bit of lawn and bushes) and an incredible park across the road. BUT no garden accessible from the flat (1st floor). AIBU to choose this over less nice area with courtyard garden?

LindyHemming Wed 01-Jun-11 13:48:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

beesimo Wed 01-Jun-11 13:50:30

I think you are right to choose this flat, it is too cold/wet to go outside many a day of the year therefore indoor space more important. Plus park over the road anyway. Go for it!

katvond Wed 01-Jun-11 13:50:32

No you are not,your choosing whats best for your family,if you wanted the other one you would have chose that,always go with your gut instinct.

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Wed 01-Jun-11 13:51:17

The park sells it, you'll be fine. We hardly use our garden because it's a steep block and you have to go down a flight of stairs to get to it, but we use parks all the time. And the nice thing about a park so close is, you don't have to pack a change of clothes/snacks/whatnot.

Sounds brilliant, congratulations!

IgnoringTheChildren Wed 01-Jun-11 13:58:36

We have a garden and DS1 (3) is very outdoorsy, however he doesn't get to play in the garden unsupervised at the moment as we have a pond. On that basis we might just as well not have a garden and take him to the park or for walks in the wood etc IYSWIM. So long as you're prepared to take your toddler to the communal garden area and park then they shouldn't miss out on anything. Plus if you're thinking about growing stuff the balcony sound like it will give you the opportunity to do that.

Go with the flat in the amazing area! grin

Tee2072 Wed 01-Jun-11 14:09:23

I have a 2 year old and live on the 6th floor. We are moving soon but a garden is not our first requirement.

starfishmummy Wed 01-Jun-11 15:27:25

As long as you are prepared to take your toddler to the park then go for it.

If its rental then you can always move if it doesn't work out.

Gster Wed 01-Jun-11 15:37:55

I went for a house with a courtyard very near a park over a house with a garden not near a park.

Seeing DD run around in a great big park is priceless. You'll be fine.

ZombiePlan Wed 01-Jun-11 15:38:00

I've been wondering the same thing, actually, but then I wonder whether I should stick it out where we are because the garden will come into its own when they're older.

Just out of interest - what do people think is a reasonable age to allow children to
(a) play unsupervised in the garden?
(b) go to a nearby park alone?
Obv this will depend a bit on the children in question, but assuming they're reasonably sensible kids what do you think are likely ages for the above?

MotherSnacker Wed 01-Jun-11 15:53:40

That's the choice I made and I don't regret it. My DD is in a decent school. I go to parks and playgroups to exercise the toddler. If you have a decent park you can manage.

Mamaone Wed 01-Jun-11 19:40:09

Thanks for the replies - I was feeling a bit guilty but am now thinking it will be fine smile

Mamaone Mon 06-Jun-11 17:14:19

Eek - having read some more (negative) posts about living in flats with young kids am getting a bit worried... Does anyone have young a kid(s) in a flat and enjoy it? Reassurance needed TIA smile

winnybella Mon 06-Jun-11 17:19:00

I'm not sure what are you worrying about, tbh. You'll have a park across the street- presumably you wouldn't leave the toddler alone in the garden anyway?

We live in a flat (in Paris)- it's fine. We go to various parks/squares.

NervousAboutTheParty Mon 06-Jun-11 17:21:09

My dd has only ever lived in a flat and the one we moved to recently has no outside space. It was all that we could afford in the area that would get her into a local school. We make an effort to take her to the local parks and it is fine. The only thing is that she loves flowers and growing things so it doe make me a little sad that we can't do much of that. However, we love our flat, the area and are lucky that she can go to the school down the road. You will be fine. I do worry about the noise she makes when she is running around as we are the top flat, however, again we limit it and encourage her to go upstairs to stomp.

Mamaone Tue 07-Jun-11 07:39:13

Thanks- good to know that flat living can work with little ones. I think I'm only worried because it will be such a big change- atm we live in a house with a huge garden so it will be a big adjustment. But the park is about five metres away and really is amazing- paddling pool, nature reserve etc. Plus a balcony (with walls around it) for growing things, pottering and so on. I just need to stop worrying! smile

ElizabethDarcy Tue 07-Jun-11 07:44:44

You could always grow strawberries and plants on your balcony too. No problem if you have a park and communal garden smile

Rosebud05 Tue 07-Jun-11 07:47:24

Lots of people live with kids in flats in London. It totally depends on what your local resources are - yours sounds fab.

Yes, the wooden floors with neighbours below situation can be stressful with kids - hopefully your downstairs neighbours will be out at work and you ask get dd to take her shoes off immediately you get in and not bound around.

valleyqueen Tue 07-Jun-11 07:54:04

I lived in a flat with dd until she was 11, tbh I think it made us get out more when the weather was nice. We now live in another flat that has a garden and she never goes in it.

MissBetsyTrotwood Tue 07-Jun-11 07:59:54

Go for it. You can container garden furiously on the balcony. We have a garden and have ended up having to grow most of our veg in containers as the neighbours have a big knotweed problem they're not getting rid of angry .

You'll spend far longer outdoors. Invest in a good picnic blanket or two with waterproof backing, a thermos for a nice warming cup of coffee in winter and enjoy!

Mishy1234 Tue 07-Jun-11 08:44:18

Where I live (Edinburgh) most of the central property is flats. The ground floor flats sometimes have private gardens, but the majority have communal garden access. Loads of people bring up families in flats around here and manage well.

I think the property you describe sounds great. You have a communal garden as well as a park close by. It's just a different way of living really. You will spend more time outside playing together which has to be plus imo.

TheLadyEvenstar Tue 07-Jun-11 08:56:29

I used to privately rent a 2 bedroom flat with a courtyard.

DS1 had his own room
DS2 shared with me,
neither could use the court yard as it was the source of the damp within the flat.

I Moved in December 2010 to a council property. 3 bedrooms, loads of indoor space, grass area downstairs, school almost under my kitchen window and a park across the road.

A lot of people raised their eyebrows at me when I said I had accepted a 2nd floor flat in a tower block but you know what I love it here. and both the boys are happier.

BsshBossh Tue 07-Jun-11 10:07:46

My DD (3) loves playing (unsupervised or with us) in the garden and she's a keen gardener now too. I love how, in the warm weather, I can just keep the kitchen and french doors open and she can come in and out at leisure. She's become a keen gardener and insect spotter as a result. However she loves the park close by and if OP you have a park across the road then I'd definitely take the flat as your home is more important than a garden.

blackeyedsusan Tue 07-Jun-11 10:17:29

would love to have a garden. personally I would go with the courtyard option. depending on how nice the area is of course. are you going to be there long? what are the schools like because before you can blink it will be time to apply.

live in a flat witha communal garden.. would love my own even if only a courtyard...

chocolatehobnobs Tue 07-Jun-11 10:20:48

I think the flat you have chosen sounds great. No problem.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: