Talk

Advanced search

In thinking there could be at least something on?

(31 Posts)
breathing Wed 01-Jun-11 09:16:04

Where I live is a cultural wasteland. There are no museums, art galleries or places of interest other than parks. There is nothing on here and its half term! It would be a good hours drive or a train journey to anything remotely ok for kids. Bit desperate for something to do...

nickschick Wed 01-Jun-11 09:21:31

I lived somewhere similar and I home edded its awful I know,what you have to do is find 'things' of interest and build up a stock for example a calender with pictures from famous artists were laminated and we looked at them and designed our own,a stock of unusual stones from the seaside and a rather spectacular lump of sparkly granite my dc labelled moonrock (still on the bookshelf despite a housemove and them becoming teens) a whole set of 'knowledge books' were great to get active minds rolling,gardening growing your own stuff,dressing up with heavy brocade curtains,a huge empty tv box occupied them and their friends for much of the summer holidays.

It is very down heartening though - could you have a half term 'pot' to save up for treats?

Mutt Wed 01-Jun-11 09:22:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

breathing Wed 01-Jun-11 09:24:09

Ds is 6 and I live in the north west. There are things a drive away but I really wanted something local today as I drive so much on my work days.

aldiwhore Wed 01-Jun-11 09:29:38

I'm in the North West too, but its a big area and I've found that within an hours drive either way there's LOADS on. Nothing local though, unless you count my PTA's 'fun day' which I am currently doing my best to avoid.

Do you get Kids Direct? That's quite good for listing events, and usually if you go to any country park, they'll have a what's on guide for the area for the year. I'm lucky that I'm slap bang inbetween two cities, so get a double whammy of things to do. Though it has to be said, this half term, its seems like everyone's 'bank holidayd' out and a lot of things were either put on earlier or moved to later in the year.

If you don't want to drive though (and I understand that) ummm... well I can't be of much help really! Though driving to somewhere fun is, in my opinion, at least different than driving to work.

kreecherlivesupstairs Wed 01-Jun-11 09:31:06

I thought you must live in Switzerland grin

breathing Wed 01-Jun-11 09:31:51

At least there is chocolate in switzerland

Mutt Wed 01-Jun-11 19:44:57

LindyHemming Wed 01-Jun-11 19:50:22

brightermornings Wed 01-Jun-11 19:52:42

I live in the north west and there's loads to do.Whereabouts are you?

dawntigga Wed 01-Jun-11 21:06:30

You'll need to narrow down the area - I live in Vale Royal and there's still loads to do.

ObvNotTheSaltMuseumTiggaxx

breathing Thu 02-Jun-11 08:08:53

Ive never heard of vale royal, where is that? its wirral btw and Ive done space port

breathing Thu 02-Jun-11 08:14:28

Oh yes..I ended up going to a crappy farm thing (tam o shanters).

bigTillyMint Thu 02-Jun-11 08:18:22

Ahhh Wirral grin

New Brighton
Chester
Ferry cross the Mersey
West Kirby beach
Thurstaston Rocks / Royden Park (DC's fav)
Milkshake at Linghams in Heswall (DC's fav!)
Ice-cream and walk in Parkgate
Farm at Thurstaston - good for littleish ones

bigTillyMint Thu 02-Jun-11 08:20:03

Oh, and if my mother heard you describe it as a "cultural wasteland" she would give you a Hyacinth Bouquet style lecture grin

breathing Thu 02-Jun-11 08:20:27

Yes as I mentioned, Its an outdoorsy place...parks really it and it was an awful day in the morning when i posted. Cleared up and we went to that farm. (Takes me an hour to chester btw)

breathing Thu 02-Jun-11 08:22:57

Just as an aside, we cant go to royden park or the beach anymore as my ds has an extreme fear of dogs sad Its really hard , restricts him no end

bigTillyMint Thu 02-Jun-11 08:27:41

My friends DS was like that - they tried hypnotherapy and it worked. I was very dubious, but I saw him many times before and now after and it definitely worked for him.

breathing Thu 02-Jun-11 08:28:59

Would it work on a 6 year old? Id be willing to try anything. I spent the last trip carrying him and with him clinging on to me every time a dog walked past.

bigTillyMint Thu 02-Jun-11 08:31:59

Yes, he was 7 when he had it done, and was just like that. Plus refusing to go to certain places where there would be dogs.

stayathomegardener Thu 02-Jun-11 08:37:13

I used to take DD to the Port Sunlight Art gallery,lots to see,very cultural,no dogs and I think they lay on extras for children over holidays.Prob 5 years since we have been tho.

Is there not some nuclear submarine one can visit on the wirral,not cultural but may appeal.

And if you are an hour from Chester then you must be close enough to Liverpool to visit the brilliant Tate-culture,culture,culture or the World Museum both of which are free.

Breathing must try hardersmile

catinboots Thu 02-Jun-11 08:38:33

Have you tried Geocaching??? Bound to be some local to you

breathing Thu 02-Jun-11 08:40:00

As I mentioned, yesterday I just wanted something local, not a day trip. We went to the liverpool museums on the weekend. Port sunlight sounds a good idea, might ivestigate that for summer :0)

breathing Thu 02-Jun-11 08:41:11

Do you need iphones etc for geocaching?

stayathomegardener Thu 02-Jun-11 08:42:13

Or you could get a second mortgage and go to the Aquarium DD loves that still at 12.

Or get a train or bus somewhere,with driving all the time DD still thinks thats a big treat

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now