Talk

Advanced search

To be angry with this taxi driver?

(11 Posts)
CBear6 Tue 31-May-11 21:28:56

I got a taxi home from Asda tonight with DH and DS (21mo). I popped DS on the backseat and then climbed in myself while DH loaded the bags in. DS was quietly looking out of the window, hands to himself, when the driver told me in a snippy voice not to let him touch the glass (he wasn't) and to get his "dirty" feet off the seats - DS was wearing just socks because he took his shoes off while he was sitting in the trolley.

I didn't say anything, some people aren't kid people and his taxi is his business afterall so he needs to make sure it's not deliberately dirtied. He then told me to "get a seatbelt round it" - it, exact wording. I asked which "it" he was referring to and he told me DS had to wear a seatbelt. He told be to put my seatbelt around both of us. I told him no because

a, the belts are designed for one adult not an adult and child
b, DS is too small for an adult belt, if there was an accident he would be seriously injured by the seatbelt pulling tight
c, I'm six months pregnant and I/baby would be injured too
d, taxis are exempt from carseat laws

He gave me a grumble about it but didn't push the issue further. As we set off he asked which way to go, I directed him, he confirmed he knee that route, and then proceeded to go a completely different and much longer route. Parts of the route were 30 mph zones which he bombed down at 60 mph whilst tutting everytime DH or I spoke to one another or DS.

DS then had the sheer audacity to fill his nappy, much to the driver's disgust. I know a poop smell isn't ideal but the windows were already open in the front, it didn't smell that bad, and we were just pulling into our street. The driver asked us if we could just get out at the entrance to the street because "it stinks, could it have not waited until you were at home?". DH told him no and that we'd be going to the door, he then told us that if there was any on his seats or if the smell "soaked in" then he'd be charging us the £50 soiled taxi fee!

Then to top it off because he went a random long route the fare was £8.00 instead of the usual £5.

AIBU to be completely fucked off annoyed? The other stuff doesn't bother me as much as the seatbelt thing does because if I hadn't known better I'd have done it and referring to my son as "it" the whole time.

TattyDevine Tue 31-May-11 21:31:40

Ooh he sounds awful.

Presumably he was a mini cab and self employed and all that so there's no point complaining is there...just not using that firm again?

He made you feel like a right leper for having children. What a wanker. He sounds an absolute delight! NOT.

Rapaccioli Tue 31-May-11 21:32:23

Matey should perhaps be aware that one day "it" might just be a doctor... and that Matey might just need "it" then!

YANBU. What an obnoxious "thing" the driver was!

MumblingRagDoll Tue 31-May-11 21:32:43

Listen...he was very rude....complain. BUT whether taxis are exempt from car seat laws or not your child is NOT exempt from flying through the window if there were an accident.

I also have kids and no car....we put our own carset in the taxi or book one WITH a carseat.

If he had called my child "it" I would probably have either punched him or got out of the car....complain...and buy a car seat.

ScrotalPantomime Tue 31-May-11 21:35:13

If it's a proper registered taxi company (likely, if it was one of those direct phones in Asda) then you should complain.

People shouldn't get away with being so rude and nasty.

BooyHoo Tue 31-May-11 21:36:35

eugh!! what a horrible person he sounds. how does he expect to get repeat businees if that's how he treats his customers?? why doe so many people have trouble with the logic that if you depend on people for your livelihood then you bloody well need to be nice to people.

CBear6 Tue 31-May-11 21:36:46

I have a carseat, we just didn't have it with us as the journey wasn't planned.

Definitely won't be using that firm again!

katvond Tue 31-May-11 21:39:00

I'd report him if he works for a firm, that's disgusting

MadamDeathstare Tue 31-May-11 21:40:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

saffy85 Tue 31-May-11 22:09:47

YANBU what a nasty old git. Definately complain.

SherlockMoans Tue 31-May-11 22:11:54

I'd have given him the benefit of the doubt about the window and feet but im afraid at "it" i'd have been straight out of the car and would probably have told him how rude he was. But then I can be a bit feisty when provoked.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: