Talk

Advanced search

Kitchen bin stand-off with DH...

(71 Posts)
IgnoringTheChildren Tue 31-May-11 21:24:26

This evening while I was loading the dishwasher, putting shopping away, sticking a load in the washing machine etc my DH emptied the kitchen bin. I appreciate this as it was nearly full and needed doing. However he did this by removing the bin from the bracket in the cupboard (for the record I hate under-sink cupboard bins but the only way to avoid this would be to remove some kitchen cupboards/put a bin in the middle of the floor so we have to walk round it) and placed the bin in the middle of the floor. He then removed the bin bag and placed it in the bin. That?s it.

The bin is still on the kitchen floor. Without a bag in it. He?s walked through the kitchen a lot this evening as he?s been dividing his time between tinkering in the garage and dealing with DS1 (who wasn?t in the mood for sleeping). He?s now watching tv.

I should probably point out that this isn?t the first time he?s done this, in fact somehow it has become my job to retrieve the bin, put a bag in it and return it to the cupboard. hmm So AIBU to leave it there and wait to see if he deals with it?

IgnoringTheChildren Tue 31-May-11 21:25:06

Arrggghhh! Why have all my ' become ? ????????

greensnail Tue 31-May-11 21:25:43

YANBU

icooksocks Tue 31-May-11 21:26:10

YABU -My DH doesn't know where our bin is hmm -count yourself lucky

BooyHoo Tue 31-May-11 21:27:40

yanbu.

leave the bin tehre. he will notice evntually.

FabbyChic Tue 31-May-11 21:27:41

I could never use a bin in the cupboard needs changing too much, they are far too small. I've a 60L jobby that is stainless steel and you can see it but it takes a dustbin liner!

If I were you I'd just pick it up an put it back.

tiredfeet Tue 31-May-11 21:27:41

Yanbu

TheOriginalFAB Tue 31-May-11 21:27:42

Pick your battles.

choirmum Tue 31-May-11 21:27:52

YANBU but ask him to finish the job he started. I know you shouldn't have to but you're getting worked up about it and he probably hasn't even noticed! I'm exactly the same!

colditz Tue 31-May-11 21:28:07

icooksocks, the OP isn't lucky, your husband is a twat. That doesn't make the Op lucky.

Beamur Tue 31-May-11 21:28:35

Its infuriating isn't it!
I caught my DP ramming some extra rubbish in the bin to avoid emptying it and I suggested as it was full, perhaps he'd like to take it out? (I recall I too was emptying the dishwasher and doing laundry too) - he did, but then a few minutes later I went to put something in the bin and...no new liner. Half a bleedin job - as usual.
YANBU. Leave it there until he notices, or you get so cross you blow a gasket grin

onepieceofcremeegg Tue 31-May-11 21:28:38

Could you not just politely discuss it? For example if I did this (or dh) the other would say something like "you forgot to finish sorting the bin out, please go and do it now"

HeadfirstForHalos Tue 31-May-11 21:30:24

I would just say, "could you pop a liner in the bin and put it away please?" smile

fuzzywuzzy Tue 31-May-11 21:30:38

Why is OP being unreasonable if your DH doesn't empty bins in your house?

OP perhaps calm down and ask him to put a bag in the bin & put the bin back where it belongs please?

MadamDeathstare Tue 31-May-11 21:31:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BooyHoo Tue 31-May-11 21:31:15

onepiece, i agree but i wouldn't say "could you please go and do it now" he isn't a child. i would just say, "you've left the bin out on the floor"

Hassled Tue 31-May-11 21:31:15

God the hissy fits I have had over the years re DH's willingness to empty the bin and then complete gobsmacking fuckwittedness re the need to replace the liner. It's like boiling the kettle to make tea and then not making the tea. Or something.

So the good news is that your DH isn't the only one.

IgnoringTheChildren Tue 31-May-11 21:35:32

We could discuss it calmly, but I think that this will be more fun. Plus apparently I do a face before I "tell him off" about stuff (we had a calm discussion about loading the dishwasher at the weekend) grin

Beamur Tue 31-May-11 21:38:33

grin - apparently I have a specific tone of voice which I use for telling DP off...which has the effect of making his ears close spontaneously..
I think this is the perfect passive aggressive scenario. Go for it.

onepieceofcremeegg Tue 31-May-11 21:39:42

"more fun"? Sulking about a bin? Have I missed something here?

In our house sometimes I forget things and sometimes dh forgets things. Sure we occasionally have words, but generally the other person either calmly completes the task, or reminds the other person.

EttiKetti Tue 31-May-11 21:41:42

Do what I occasionally still have to do and shout through "Oi Arfur, come and sort this bin out" my DH was Arfur as in 'Alf A Job (done) for years! I only have to start saying oOoh I see Arfurs been round...and he sorts whatever it is out, all very silly but lighthearted and gets stuff done!

MissMarjoribanks Tue 31-May-11 21:44:35

Oh, the joy of half done jobs. I usually mention something about disciplinary action if he ever did half a job at work and the problem usually rectifies itself. Sometimes it's not worth the hassle and I just do it.

Mind you my DH is playing Warhammer games on the dining room table and getting tipsy with his mate and our cleaner is coming tomorrow. I like things to be tidy for her and I just know that whatever I say to DH this evening I will be tidying away wine bottles and stupid painted little models at 6.30am tomorrow morning.

GreenEyesandHam Tue 31-May-11 21:46:08

I got rid of our kitchen bin last month when I nearly broke my back and several ribs trying to wrest the bloody bag out of it. DH and kids would ram the rubbish down to try and fit more in, rather than empty it. Oh and if they could ram no more, they would create a mini 'leaning tower of garbage' on the top. Swines.

So I had a massive hissy fit and threw the thing out. I now use a carrier bag hung inside a cupboard. It's saved my marriage.

MmeLindor. Tue 31-May-11 21:48:18

<marches into OP's kitchen and puts the liner in the bin>

Stop being silly. Either give your DH a shout and tell him that all the MNetters think he should put the liner in the bin or do it yourself.

icooksocks Tue 31-May-11 21:50:35

colditz My DH isnt a twat-just because he doesn't empty the bin-doesn't make him a twat. The hmm face was at my DH not at OP.
OP I still think you should have just put the frigging bin away.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: