Talk

Advanced search

To think that MNers do care ...

(2 Posts)
EvenLessNarkyPuffin Tue 31-May-11 18:18:32

And can make a difference.

Betty had just finished high school and was due to go to university when she was attacked by three men. They shouted abuse at her, pinned her down and branded her on her inner thighs with a hot iron. She was confined to bed for two months because of her burns. She was attacked because she is a lesbian. She is now 22 years old. And safe in the UK. And about to be deported back to Uganda. Newspaper article here.

Uganda is the country that debated making homosexuality punishable by death. It is illegal to be gay in Uganda. Human rights organisations have consistently documented abuses against gay men and lesbians in Uganda and say that it's one of the most dangerous countries in the world for gay people.If she is deported she will be subject to further violence.

Whether you are a political activist or someone who only votes for Strictly and is sick of the lot of them, I think that there are some things that everyone can agree are worth fighting for. This cannot be right.

If you enter your postcode here you will be able to send a message directly to your MP. Please let them know that you are aware of her case and you do care.

eg
I was concerned to read about the case of Betty Tibikawa, who is awaiting removal directions after her asylum claim was refused.
To deport someone who has already been brutally attacked because of her sexuality to a country that human rights organisations regard as one of the most dangerous places in the world for homosexuals is inhumane.
Please could you make enquiries, with the relevant department, into the Border Agency's handling of this case.

katvond Tue 31-May-11 19:56:29

Of course we care I can't believe she was deported back, what were the home office thinking?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now