Talk

Advanced search

To put the kids to bed at 5pm?

(20 Posts)
monkeyfacegrace Tue 31-May-11 16:22:12

They are 4 & 2 and have spent the day being pure horrors.

They have whinged and cried, moaned, broken things, and generally been a PITA.

I have PMT, and unhumanly tired. Im hungry, cross, and fed up.

They are exhausted from the last few weeks being non stop. My 4yr old is dazed, and my 2yr old has suitcases under his eyes.

Am I an awful parent for insisting that they go to bed at 5 so I can drown myself in a bath tub full of wine

thekidsmom Tue 31-May-11 16:23:13

downside is they'll be up at 4am tomorrow.....

Zimm Tue 31-May-11 16:26:24

Nope - it will probably do them good. Change teh clocks though so they don't twig. (Can 4 year olds tell time???)

monkeyfacegrace Tue 31-May-11 16:28:48

No she cant tell the time. And I have immense blackout blinds....

LineRunner Tue 31-May-11 16:30:37

Sounds like this is what you need to do. As long as you appreciate like thekidsmom says, they'll be up really early - which means that after your hot bath and large chardonnay, you get yourself to bed too. Unplug the phone, curl up in bed with TV or book, and just enjoy the luxury of a very very early night.

midori1999 Tue 31-May-11 16:33:37

Not at all. My youngest is just falling asleep on the living room floor and I am thinking I'll get his PJ's on, give him his supper of milk and a biscuit (he's had school dinner and cheese on toast and fruit since he's been in) and he'll be in bed by 5. He gets up stupidly early no matter when he goes to bed, so it makes no difference in that respect to me. He'll happily play in his room until I go and get him though.

thebeansmum Tue 31-May-11 16:45:11

Anyone that tells you YABU is BVVU!!! It would probably do more harm than good to keep them up, don't you think? The way you feel - do it, don't feel in the slightest bit guilty. Like LineRunner said, hot bath, wine, whatever, you'll be ready to face anything in the morning - even if it is early!

WhoAteMySnickers Tue 31-May-11 16:47:34

YANBU as long as you're prepared to be up at sparrows fart tomorrow.

LynetteScavo Tue 31-May-11 16:48:42

YANBU. Into the bath with them right now!

ScrotalPantomime Tue 31-May-11 17:00:20

Hmm I probably wouldn't but only because I don't think it'd work for my DCs. But if you think yours will sleep through then do it!

Personally I'd just stick a DVD on for them. smile

GothAnneGeddes Tue 31-May-11 17:07:23

Do it! Sometimes they and you need an early night.

Zimm Tue 31-May-11 18:51:13

So are they fast asleep now?

GrownUpNow Tue 31-May-11 18:54:08

I tend to stretch mine out as close to 6pm as possible, but I've done it earlier after awful days too.

monkeyfacegrace Tue 31-May-11 19:06:26

Argh, so, they were put to bed at 4.45 and I went to bed too and totally crashed out until just now! Now I feel awful about how I was with the kids today sad

pixipie151 Tue 31-May-11 21:53:45

Come on monkeyfacgerace - dont be so hard on yourself. It wont kill them to go to bed early for one night and you get to keep your sanity and brucie bonus - social services wont be knocking at your door tomorrow because you've bashed them up!

Poor yourself a nice glass of wine and stick the telly on...

monkeyfacegrace Wed 01-Jun-11 06:32:44

Haha, they slept until just now! 4.45-6.30, so maybe tiredness genuinally was the reason for their behaviour.
right, here goes another day....

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Wed 01-Jun-11 06:36:22

Oh, good for you, they clearly did need the sleep - 4.45 to 6.30 sounds blissful. And it sounds like you were exhausted as well, so it's got to be a better day today, hasn't it?

thekidsmom Wed 01-Jun-11 09:02:46

Wow - I was thinking about you so glad to see you're all rested!

anyone know if this works on teenagers, btw?

missinglalaland Wed 01-Jun-11 09:19:09

Well done you! If they are tired enough to fall asleep it seems sensible. If they sleep till after 6am they probably needed.

GothAnneGeddes Wed 01-Jun-11 11:46:07

Yay! Pleased it worked for you. Don't feel guilty, 2 and 4 sounds like hard work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now