Talk

Advanced search

To hate the argument of "it's natural"?

(41 Posts)
DaisyLovesMetronidazole Tue 31-May-11 13:43:10

I'm not referring to any situation in particular. I just dislike when people say that something's natural to imply that it's the safer or better option.

I mean, lots of diseases and tooth decay are natural. The altered forms of certain medications are much safer. It just seems like a bit of a moot argument.

It also leads people to miss the point in certain circumstances. For example, someone says breastfeding is natural. Someone says that defecation is also natural. I mean, the situations are not comparable, but the person saying that both are natural is technically entirely correct.

Does anyone else dislike this argument too? Or AIB totally U?

DaisyLovesMetronidazole Tue 31-May-11 13:44:18

Oh, and just to clarify, I'm not upset by this and it is not my biggest problem!!!

I need another example.

jenniec79 Tue 31-May-11 13:47:51

I agree entirely. There was a discussion on radio 4 this morning with some bloke (French Obstetrician I think) going on and on about "natural" childbirth and how it was so much better for everyone No discussion of indications for augmented/instrumental labour or lcsc! (he also advocated no dad present and midwife contactable but not right there, so many issues tbh)

Just ended up thinking he'd be a good volunteer for "natural", no anaesthetic orthopaedic surgery!

welliesandpyjamas Tue 31-May-11 13:48:19

I don't follow. Sorry.

AbsDuCroissant Tue 31-May-11 13:49:55

I get where you're going. It comes up particularly in relation to childbirth - that it's better to be "natural" and forego drugs etc. etc., conveniently that childbirth is the biggest killer of women worldwide, so having medical intervention can be rather important.

I quite agree. It's 'natural' to die of diabetes or appendicitis or a cut finger. ANd 'natural' childbirth with no medical help is oinly going to be a wonderful moving experience and all that crap if absolutely nothing goes wrong. Childbirth itself and the infections that often followed it used to mean something like one third of pregnant women either dying or losing their babies or both.

Oh, sod 'natural' childbirth. Give me drugs.

nancydrewfoundaclue Tue 31-May-11 13:53:31

I'm afraid I don't really follow either.

Many things that are natural are better. Many are not. Sometimes the argument is a very sensible one. Other times it is used as a stick to beat people with. Sometimes people are plain over sensitive to the argument and sometimes the argument misses the point completely.

BooyHoo Tue 31-May-11 13:55:30

i agree with you. as others have said. alot of pain and suffering happens due to natural events. should we let that continue? natural disasters are devastating to the victims and countries they affect, but they are natural, should we be happy about them?

microfight Tue 31-May-11 14:04:04

I totally agree, I hear it all the time and think it's not a valid argument.

If someone says it in relation to childbirth I normally reply something like well I hope you don't fly anywhere, how unnatural is that grin

LaWeasel Tue 31-May-11 14:10:00

I find it annoying in some contexts, for example "oh, this cream will be fine on your allergic child - it's all natural ingredients!" - erm, it's perfectly possible to be allergic to natural products, or for natural products to be harsh and completally inappropriate on delicate skin.

There was a fantastic BBC series about E-Numbers recently. The premise of it is that e-numbers are just codes to shorten the labels of perfectly normal 'natural' products like ground toasted nuts being used to thicken things... it was incredibly interesting.

This is a bit off-topic - the other one is co-sleeping where everyone goes on about how in some big% of the world and history families have co-slept together, and therefore that is the natural and best way to sleep. Well, yes they do/did. Because their entire household lived in ONE room!! Do your really think that all of them would choose to keep doing it if they had the option of not doing it?

MumblingRagDoll Tue 31-May-11 14:11:24

YANBU My DH says "It's natural" when he farts. As if that excuses him!

bleeee!

BooyHoo Tue 31-May-11 14:12:05

i always throw in the flying thing, particularly when i hear assholes talking about homosexuality not being 'natural'!!!

jeckadeck Tue 31-May-11 14:18:26

yes its total bollocks and very prevalent at the moment. Classic example being organic food, which has repeatedly been shown in tests not to be any healthier than non-organic food but just to have a big mark-up and to appeal to a certain precious urban demographic. This arbitrary distinction between "chemicals" and natural things is bollocks too -- most chemicals come from natural sources and in fact everything natural contains chemicals.

Gster Tue 31-May-11 14:25:49

Everything contains chemicals.

DaisyLovesMetronidazole Tue 31-May-11 14:51:00

Pleased with replies! Glad I'm not the only one.

daimbardiva Tue 31-May-11 14:56:01

YANBU this is one of my pet hates. Some of the most potent toxins known occur naturally. Natural does not mean safe.

LineRunner Tue 31-May-11 15:05:12

One of my pet hates is useless TV sciencey-type commentators saying "It's natural" for men to be promiscuous and for women to be ultra-bonded bunny-boilers because of our evolutionary past. Bollocks.

chandellina Tue 31-May-11 15:18:16

YANBU. in the natural order most of us would have given birth about 10 times by the age of 30.

microfight Tue 31-May-11 15:21:55

Yellow teeth are natural grin why whiten them?

springbokscantjump Tue 31-May-11 15:41:20

Argh hate this. Two situations really irritate me when it comes to this argument: the first as said above is about child birth. Plenty of women died in child birth and I for one am alive due to being in hospital for my ds' birth.

the second is about stuff in shampoo/conditioners/beauty products. Do I want peach, ylang ylang or whatever else in my shampoo? I don't know but just cos it's natural doesn't necessarily make it great.

rockinhippy Tue 31-May-11 15:55:01

Yep, I hate it too -

especially yesterday when trying to buy an already car sick & very additive intolerant DD a drink other than water - I was offered a can of something that turned out to be the natural equivalent of Red Bull shock - & the guy just kept repeating - but it will be okay - its naturalhmm

MackerelOfFact Tue 31-May-11 15:58:58

YANBU. Dying is 'natural', fire is 'natural', having bad breath and greasy hair and scabies is 'natural'. Doesn't mean it's good.

AuntieMonica Tue 31-May-11 16:01:29

i definitely have a problem with the way the word 'natural' is bandied about.

it's an 'ad-mans' dream...put the word 'natural' in front of anything and we have been conditioned to assume it's good for us angry

<apart from Natural Born Killers confused >

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now