Talk

Advanced search

Naked boy in the supermarket...

(131 Posts)
pookamoo Tue 31-May-11 09:01:42

On the way in to our local supermarket, a mum was with her two DS and one of them was having a wee in the flower bed. No problem with this, DD often has to do this.

However, a little bit later I saw them come into the shop. The DS who was about 3 was naked from the waist down. His mum put him, and his brother, into the food basket part of a trolley, and her DP proceeded to push them round the shop. They didn't put any food in there, the mum was shopping with another trolley.

I am a bit hmm about children in the trolley anyway but I know that is a whole other thread. But a bare bum and willy going around in the trolley? He wasn't sitting on anything, and he wasn't sitting still either.

I paid for my shopping and was waiting for DH and DD who had popped to the loo, and while I was there I was thinking "do I say something" and in the end I mentioned it to the checkout supervisor.

Was I being unreasonable to do so? I felt a bit bad, because after all, most DCs have accidents, but the supermarket does sell pants so if nothing else they could have got him a pair of pants to put on first...

plantsitter Tue 31-May-11 09:03:44

Urgh! I'm quite lax about hygiene and about naked children in public but that is gross! yanbu.

bbird1 Tue 31-May-11 09:04:32

YABU. Why does it bother you see much. He is only 3 years old. Who could it possibly be harming?

bbird1 Tue 31-May-11 09:05:02

so much

AngryFeet Tue 31-May-11 09:07:25

I don't have a problme with naked children in public - beach or something - but in a supermarket is odd and I'm surprised noone said anything. At 3 he could easily have done a wee or poo in the trolley!

HugoFirst Tue 31-May-11 09:08:16

thats not on imo

icooksocks Tue 31-May-11 09:09:06

YABU. A kid in the nuddy shouldn't offend anyone. As for telling the checkout supervisor-get a grip. What on earth did you say to her? Theres a child sat in a trolley with no pants/trousers on, quick call security hmm hmm

emsyj Tue 31-May-11 09:09:08

Maybe she had already had a Poo Crisis that morning (incorporating a discarded pants situation) and her cup of care was empty?

I think I would rather not have nude toddlers (or adults, for that matter) leaving potential crack sweat and/or poo crumbs on trolleys, but probably would have just catbumfaced it and carried on.

Not sure if YABU or not.
<not helpful>

ThisIsJustASagaNow Tue 31-May-11 09:12:49

YADDNBU.

'leaving potential crack sweat and/or poo crumbs' <Runs away screaming>

DamselInDisguise Tue 31-May-11 09:13:05

You do know that supermarket trollies tend to live outside, where there are exposed to the elements, get dirty (and birds can shit on them, etc). They aren't sterile environments. I wouldn't be worrying about a bare bum at all.

If you have to worry about anything, concern yourself with how the poor wee boy would have had a cold, sore bare bum sitting in the trolley.

FriskyMare Tue 31-May-11 09:13:35

Just yuck! Bet they hadn't used wet wipes to clean him and then he sits in a trolley that someone else will put food in shock

WhoWhoWhoWho Tue 31-May-11 09:13:54

Did this supermarket not sell kids pants?

I dont care about kids in trolleys, but naked kids in trolleys hmm... doesn't sit right with me really.

troisgarcons Tue 31-May-11 09:14:03

I get annoyed with people who let their children stand in the trolly - for al I know they might have trodden in dog crap or alkie vomit beforehand .....

nethunsreject Tue 31-May-11 09:15:03

Yanbu.

MollysChamber Tue 31-May-11 09:17:20

Naked kids on the beach - fine
Naked kids in the supermarket - weird.

ThisIsJustASagaNow Tue 31-May-11 09:17:26

It's undignified and uncomfortable for the boy.

And if he's not toilet trained then there's a high chance he's going to have another accident in the trolley.

RobynLou Tue 31-May-11 09:17:59

but trolleys aren't clean! they're covered in all the muck that comes with being left outside all day/night.

I wouldn't worry about the trolley, I'd think the boy might be uncomfortable.

BrainSurgeon Tue 31-May-11 09:23:46

Agree with RobynLou and Saga
YABU if you mind a naked little boy, but YANBU if you are worried about him

lynehamrose Tue 31-May-11 09:28:25

Pmsl about the comment on 'supermarket trolleys not being sterile environments'.
Did anyone suggest they are?
Just because something isn't sterile, doesn't mean its ok to stick naked genitals on it! My sofas aren't sterile, but I wouldn't welcome friends coming round, stripping their kids off and letting them loll about nude on them. Especially knowing the average 3 yr olds lack of ability to clean themselves after going to the loo

Yanbu- its not pleasant for the child or other shoppers

LynetteScavo Tue 31-May-11 09:34:11

Ooooh, I'm imagining he was very close to having a willy accident, moving around in a trolly like that.

If that had been my DC I'd have quickly bought some pants or shorts... or if supermarket didn't sell them have got DH to wait in the car with him.

If I witnessed this I wouldn't have actually said anything.

MmeLindor. Tue 31-May-11 09:36:50

I don't get all fussy about kids in trolleys, but think it was a bit unkind (not to mention chilly on the willy) to leave the boy without trousers or pants.

I wouldn't have said anything though.

MackerelOfFact Tue 31-May-11 09:39:38

It must have been very cold and uncomfortable for the boy. I'm not sure what the supermarket could do about it really, I'd be more hmm at the parent. Agree that trolleys aren't exactly clean to start with.

This has reminded me of the 'cube of poo' from another thread ages ago though. Marvellous.

ThisIsJustASagaNow Tue 31-May-11 09:39:53

lynehamrose - Loved your post lol grin and I agree!

dingdongmrs Tue 31-May-11 09:40:31

I dont see it as an issue really! if you dont like it, dont look at it! Too many people complain about the most silly of things these days, you cant sneeze without someone bitching that you didnt have a tissue at hand to catch it!

DoMeDon Tue 31-May-11 09:43:48

YANBU - I don't think it's offensive just weird and not boundaried.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: