Talk

Advanced search

How bad for you is curdled milk?

(7 Posts)
CinnabarRed Tue 31-May-11 04:40:55

DS2 is 13.5 months. He's still waking at night for a bottle of milk, which he's just had.

To cut a long story short, I only noticed once he'd stopped drinking tonight's bottle that the milk was curdled. There was a big lump of solid left in the bottom.

The milk was still in date. I tasted the drop that was still left in the carton and it tasted OK. DS2 drank about 150 ml before stopping, so I assume it tasted acceptable to him too.

Will he get sick? If so, when is it likely to start? Is there anything I can/should do to reduce the severity? I wondered about making him sick now to get it out of his tummy.

Can't believe I didn't notice. I feel terrible.

DontCallMePeanut Tue 31-May-11 05:26:28

Are you sure it was curdled and not the cream in full fat milk? You can usually smell and taste if it's curdled.

If it is curdled, then it'll probably give him food poisoning like symptoms. But FGS please don't go out of your way to make a baby sick. If you're really concerned, phone NHS direct.

firesoup Tue 31-May-11 05:35:27

i have done this more than once blush my little boy has never suffered any ill effects at all, im sure he will be fine. don't beat youself up about it. out of interst did you heat it? i often find milk that looks ok in the bottle curdles when you heat it

Bluemoonrising Tue 31-May-11 06:15:08

Not all that many years ago (in my mothers lifetime) you could waste nothing, and even milk that had gone off had edible uses. I think he'll be fine.

beanlet Tue 31-May-11 06:45:37

Curdled milk = cottage cheese grin

He won't get food poisoning. He'll be fine.

CinnabarRed Tue 31-May-11 07:14:58

I did heat the milk, but the sip I had from the dregs of the carton had some texture to it too, IYKWIM. Nothing like as bad as the milk in DS2's bottle though.

It was semi-skimmed milk, so not the cream. Unbeknown to me, DP used the last of the full fat milk for DS2's evening bottle last night. He must have forgotten to get the emergency carton of full fat out of the freezer, because the first I knew we were out of DS2's milk was when I stumbled downstairs at 4. That left me a choice of out-of-date semi-skimmed or in-date semi-skimmed which turned out to be off.

I'm trying to think of it as cottage cheese....

DS1 has woken up with conjunctivitis - it's going to be one of those days.

Bogeyface Tue 31-May-11 08:12:23

When DS1 was about 4 I bought some milk, well in date, and put it on his cereal, as you do! About an hour later he threw up in spectacular fashion. I put it down to a virus until I made the most foul cup of tea ever and realised that the milk was off.

He was fine after that but I felt like the worst mummy in the world!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: