Talk

Advanced search

to think there is a lot of automatic vitriol on here towards MILs

(5 Posts)
springydaffs Mon 30-May-11 22:46:56

Someone posted up an admittedly baffling scenario involving her MIL.. and yet again posters waded in with some vitriolic assumptions about the MIL in question.

I'm beginning to wonder if it is some DILs who are jealous/possessive/threatened, not the MILs

<scarpers>

WinkyWinkola Mon 30-May-11 22:48:25

I feel some automatic vitriol towards those who don't take a case-by-case evaluation.

springydaffs Mon 30-May-11 23:02:38

oi! Winky! I started the thread instead of tacking it on to/hijacking someone else's thread.

PumpkinBones Mon 30-May-11 23:06:54

Depends on individual relationships.

I don't like my MIL but I don't automatically side against them on MIL threads. Most people on MN are or have been DIL's so it's natural it is a subject that can excite strong emotion!

There is certainly issues on both sides a lot of the time, and I can say in all honesty, although my MIL is quite mad, I could have handled many things better. I have 2 DS's, so I hope my future DIL's, if I have them, are bigger people than me!

ScaredyDog Mon 30-May-11 23:13:26

It can be a difficult relationship - MIL/DIL - for some people.

As it happens, I probably like my MIL more than DP does (his own mother!)

She is completely bonkers and he didn't have the best upbringing, but she likes me, I like her and her relationship with DP is now very good considering. I know she's not been the best mother, when DP was younger he had a terrible time by the sounds of it, but as long as he is happy in his relationship with her now, I am happy too.

As for my DP and my mum - well I got a text from her tonight saying he'd be getting a big kiss with tongues (joke!) for giving her his X Factor audition ticket. They adore each other, he's so pleased when she comes to stay as they get along like a house on fire, he loves her and vice versa. I know I'm lucky smile And hopefully they won't ever run off with each other wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now