Talk

Advanced search

to want to report someone for benefit fraud?

(66 Posts)
ElectricSoftParade Mon 30-May-11 21:05:26

That's it really.

I know, as the person concerned told me, that she is working cash-in-hand and also claiming DLA plus rent/council tax rebates.

I usually try to keep my nose out but this is really making me, well, angry. Although I do WANT to, I don't think I will as it feels like I am sticking my nose in and also being a "grass".

So AIBU in not reporting her and posting this? Or should I just do it? WWYD?

justaboutWILLfinishherthesis Mon 30-May-11 21:06:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ElectricSoftParade Mon 30-May-11 21:08:29

Oh possibly. Am climbing down off my very high horse as now realise I may have got the wrong idea.

usualsuspect Mon 30-May-11 21:10:08

I wouldn't report

even more so if I didn't know all the facts

tribpot Mon 30-May-11 21:10:28

You can also get a Council Tax rebate under certain circumstances if you're disabled.

ElectricSoftParade Mon 30-May-11 21:12:06

Thank you for your replies. Am feeling quite ashamed at my reaction but again thanks for your replies.

crazynanna Mon 30-May-11 21:12:44

She may be on DLA (can be working) and get the other benefits due to low wage.

DontCallMePeanut Mon 30-May-11 21:13:38

DLA is not work related... My friend works full time and gets it. I think, but may be wrong, that it entitles the individual to an element of HB and Council tax benefit.

YWBU, especially if you don't have all the facts.

Maternelle Mon 30-May-11 21:14:21

Reporting is vile, sorry. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Yukana Mon 30-May-11 21:17:01

Incapacity Benefit was what Income Support used to be, right? Or that's how it's described on the Direct Gov website.

I'd just say that unless you know all the facts/her situation, I wouldn't report. smile

FabbyChic Mon 30-May-11 21:17:22

You can get DLA whilst working, I shall, you can also get housing benefit whilst working too, even though I will be earning over £300 a week I shall still be entitled to housing benefit.

GypsyMoth Mon 30-May-11 21:17:28

but does she seem to think she's comitting fraud then??confused

ElectricSoftParade Mon 30-May-11 21:19:45

No, I would be wrong to do this as I really don't know the facts and I was getting all above myself with (misplaced) moral outrage.

As I said above, I am actually quite ashamed of this post but I suppose that's what AIBU is about. Thanks for your responses.

ElectricSoftParade Mon 30-May-11 21:20:53

She was talking about the cash-in-hand money BUT IT IS NOT MY BUSINESS.

crazynanna Mon 30-May-11 21:25:12

Yukana I think you are mixing the two up.
Incapacity is for when you are too sick to work. Income Support is when you are responsible for the care of someone (child,etc),and you are unemployed

Yukana Mon 30-May-11 21:30:20

Crazynanna I had a feeling I mixed up somewhere. Incapacity Benefit was replaced by Employment and Support Allowance. smile

MotherSnacker Mon 30-May-11 21:30:59

You can do a certain amount of work and earn a certain amount when you are on incapacity. Permitted work i think its called. Check your facts before you report.

There are some real moral outrages in this world. Earning 20 quid a weeek cash in hand whilst struggling on benefts is not one of them. Even if it is against the rules/law.

GypsyMoth Mon 30-May-11 21:31:47

she's claimin g housing benefit and council tax benefit.....then working cash ib hand??

doesnt sound right AT ALL

fifi25 Mon 30-May-11 21:42:08

Did she actually say 'im working cash in hand'

You can work on income support, if you earn over £20 its deducted from income support

You can work 16hrs and still get housing/council tax benefit

You can still work on disability allowance depending what rate.

Saying she gets cash in hand is a bit strange though.

ElectricSoftParade Mon 30-May-11 21:50:54

Yes, she did say she is working cash in hand.

I am taking my nose out. Really, I feel completely petty and narky at starting this thread.

tallulahxhunny Mon 30-May-11 21:55:36

lots of people work cash in hand, doesnt mean they are doing anything wrong , I dont like touts though, never really understood the point of it, its not as if you gain anything from it!

HandMini Mon 30-May-11 21:56:43

Maternelle - why is reporting vile?

Electric - it sounds as though you should forget about it...either she or you or both are not clear on the facts.

theinet Mon 30-May-11 21:57:09

Report the scounger

usualsuspect Mon 30-May-11 21:58:11

you still up? theinet

GypsyMoth Mon 30-May-11 21:58:26

she receives means teasted benefits,,,,,yet works cash in hand.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: