Talk

Advanced search

to avoid organic Spanish cucumbers?

(16 Posts)
CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 30-May-11 17:07:49

As they appear to be deadly will be checking the C.O.O. before popping one in the trolley.

meditrina Mon 30-May-11 17:12:36

I was on Ocado and tried to check the nationality of their cucumbers, thinking I'd avoid both Spanish and organic to be on the safe side.

It said "country of origin may vary according to season". Not helpful.

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 30-May-11 17:22:33

Have never liked cucumbers. Who knew they could kill?

HeidiKat Mon 30-May-11 17:22:33

YANBU, I don't really get what the point of cucumber is in the first place, it doesn't taste of anything, I would prefer some nice red onion on my salad.

LynetteScavo Mon 30-May-11 17:29:01

The head of the Robert Koch Institute (RKI), Germany's national disease institute, has warned people to avoid eating raw cucumbers, tomatoes and lettuce.

Eat local. With pesticides.

CestTout Mon 30-May-11 17:38:12

A friend owns a greengrocers and has always refused to buy Spanish produce after being advised years ago to steer clear. Not sure of reasoning but he has always stuck to it. If only more English people would start buying local and in season produce. At the moment he sources cucumbers from a local farm 20 miles away and three different varieties of tomato from the south of England. Obviously certain foods will always have to be shipped in but a huge percentage of fresh produced can be sourced within the UK.

QuintessentialOldMoo Mon 30-May-11 17:42:02

This is like "The revenge of the killer tomato. Chapter 2 The Cucumber".

Sorry, tasteless joke. Yanbu. Better stay away from cucumber in general these days methink.

OldMacEIEIO Mon 30-May-11 17:46:12

Organic is bad. Spanish is bad.
get yourself to KFC for a maccie D's

sausagerollmodel Mon 30-May-11 17:49:56

YANBU. I would rather buy non-organic and British given the choice. You should definitely be able to get UK grown ones this time of year. Why do they import them from Spain? Not very green is it?

beesimo Mon 30-May-11 17:50:41

You won't like this MN but Beesimo is telling you straight unless you can cook it stay away from Organic many a time you think you have a upset tum after a bbq ect and think it is cos of the beefburgers ect and its the filthy dirty salad stuffs.

Organic often means cover with shit (literally) that how it grows sorry.

We eat organic at home only cos it is grown by us

SuchProspects Mon 30-May-11 18:21:15

Veg doesn't have to be organic to harbour e. coli. Ordinary, pesticide covered veg can harbour it too.

meditrina Tue 31-May-11 20:54:40

Sounds as if they're not sure it's the cucumbers after all.

NoCarbsBeforeMarbs Tue 31-May-11 20:57:44

YANBU.

<scoffs Galaxy>

Fruit and veg....'healthy' eating my arse <Jim Royale in disguise>

Rapaccioli Tue 31-May-11 20:59:29

I'm with you Beesimo. I seriously object to finding caterpillars in my salad. My foodstuffs are blasted to buggery with pesticides.

icooksocks Tue 31-May-11 21:00:05

I'm avoiding all things Salady for a while just in case. I don't fancy having e-coli thank you very much.
<<disclaimer-I'm off to France next week and it'll be easier to avoid than to trace origin>>

alizee Tue 31-May-11 21:02:57

yanbu...

but i did have to go back to the stock room today (with a big queue) because a woman demanded to know where the cherry tomatoes she wanted to buy were from (where i work the country of origin is usually printed on the box but they were loose) and refused point blank anything spanish
i was almost yelling when i came back down the stairs, ITS ISLE OF WIGHT!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now