Talk

Advanced search

To think this is an excuse and we should let the poor girl off the hook?

(50 Posts)
HarderToKidnap Mon 30-May-11 12:45:29

We are trying to organise a family holiday. I suppose we do a family holiday every 6 or 7 years. The plan is that in Sep 2012 (so 18 months ish time) me and DH, Mum and Dad, Aunt and Uncle and my brother and his girlfriend (and my DC - am currently pregnant, so fingers crossed) go to a villa for a week. Nothing expensive. Everyone is in, but DB and his girlfriend (let's call her Bev) are umming and aahing a bit. That's fine, she is very shy, barely speaks to us and never attends social gatherings. If we are invited round to theirs, she is out, if he comes to us, he comes alone. That's the way she is and that is OK.

So we were never really expecting him and her to come on the family holiday - had booked a large enough villa so they could, but left it open. DB very keen, says they are def coming, what are the dates? We tell him and book it.

Ten minutes later a frantic phone call from DB - "Don't book it!! Wait!!". We have already booked it, he is really upset and says he thinks they will have to drop out. After we told him the dates he checked with Bev, who said she would be on her period that week, and wouldn't be able to go.

On her period. In 18 months time. Riiiiiight.

Now, to me, clearly this is an excuse she has siezed upon. No one actually seriously knows when they will be on their period in 18 months, and surely she'd just get those pills from the doctor if it were true. Now everyone running around trying to rearrange things, when it seems obvious to me it is an excuse and she is going to come up with more and more outlandish excuses if we do rearrange it. DB seems oblivious and is hassling us to change the dates/villa and is getting very offended if you intimate that this sounds like Bev is trying to get out the holiday. I say we let the poor girl off the hook and say no, we aren't changing it. AIBU?

mercibucket Mon 30-May-11 12:47:05

pmsl that's the funniest excuse I've heard in a long time. now don't forget your own cycle - you will need to coordinate betweeen all the female guests grin

GypsyMoth Mon 30-May-11 12:47:34

lol....just lol really!!!

colditz Mon 30-May-11 12:47:48

oh the poor girl. yes, "refuse to rebook" and let her off!

CalamityKate Mon 30-May-11 12:47:56

YANBU. She clearly doesn't want to go. She sounds a bit of a weirdo TBH!

worraliberty Mon 30-May-11 12:48:45

YANBU

I must admit to snorting my coffee at the 'period' excuse grin

lurkedtoolong Mon 30-May-11 12:49:02

She's not shy, she's rude and the holiday will be more fun without her.

smudgethepuppydog Mon 30-May-11 12:49:23

I'd leave the dates too. The villa is booked, if they change their minds nearer the date I'm sure they could get flights quite easily.

diddl Mon 30-May-11 12:49:27

Well, if she´s on the pill she´s probably got a good idea.

For me such a holiday sounds like torture tbh, so I wouldn´t blame her for not wanting to go-and I´m not shy!

Can´t think of much worse than holidaying with the ILs-and their rellies!

Gissabreak Mon 30-May-11 12:50:26

Message withdrawn

MmeLindor. Mon 30-May-11 12:50:46

Oh dear.

Difficult, cause you don't want to offend your brother by screaming with laughter down the phone.

Um.

No. No idea of how to get out of this one.

TidyDancer Mon 30-May-11 12:51:49

Brilliant excuse! YANBU. But she's being a twat and should just say "no, thank you, I won't be coming". There's actually nothing wrong with just being clear but non-descriptive.

tyler80 Mon 30-May-11 12:53:00

I could work out when I'd be on my period in 18 months time if I sat down with a calendar and I'm not on the pill.

Aside from that your other points stand.

suzikettles Mon 30-May-11 12:53:26

Are you not allowed on holiday if you've got your period? Shit, I'm in big trouble!

Nah, she doesn't want to go. A shame she didn't just tell your brother that, but not your business.

Definitely don't faff around trying to rebook.

Mishy1234 Mon 30-May-11 12:53:27

Dear me, that does sound rather far fetched. It's very funny though!

Mollydollydoll Mon 30-May-11 12:54:04

She sounds a twat and I think she really doesn't want to go

heleninahandcart Mon 30-May-11 12:55:37

YANBU poor girl is obviously dreading it. DB sounds like he is oblivious.

KenDoddsDadsDog Mon 30-May-11 12:56:40

Don't rebook! It's nightmare enough trying to sort a family holiday without piss poor excuses.

Selks Mon 30-May-11 12:58:20

She doesn't want to go, for whatever reason (and who are we to judge her on that??), and has fed your brother an excuse that she think's he'll buy (and has done, by the sound of it). Just carry on with your holiday without planning for them to attend, but if the villa is now booked and there is space for them to change their minds later then you could lave that with them. Clearly your brother and the girlfriend have got some sorting out to do within their relationship, but it's not your issue.

Who knows why she is avoiding contact, but if you think it is shyness then you could always suggest to your brother that you and Bev have a girly day out just the two of you - create an excuse e.g. you would really appreciate her advice with shopping for a dress etc - and she may get over her shyness with you.

ChippingIn Mon 30-May-11 12:59:42

Just explain to you DB (dense brother that would be) that she can either back to back her pills/take the pill that stops your period if she's not on the pill/deal with having her period (they have toilets there too)/stay at home as she clearly wants to - but this holiday villa is booked - if they want to come, come - if they don't, don't and to get a new girlfriend before then

ChippingIn Mon 30-May-11 13:00:16

Or of course - he can come without her -- and hopefully meet someone normal--

Curiousmama Mon 30-May-11 13:05:26

grin that's made me chuckle. No way would I rearrange though. Yes she sounds odd. Good idea about trying to get her to do girly day with you but doubt she will?

diddl Mon 30-May-11 13:06:08

I would agree that she doesn´t want to go-but why not just say that?

Have you got any other relatives who could go?

OP-being nosy-but do you do this as it´s the only chance to get together?

valiumbandwitch Mon 30-May-11 13:07:23

I just laughed so much. I nearly choked on my allbran. I'm trying figure out if I'll have my period next week when I 'm away. I can't think !!

twofalls Mon 30-May-11 13:07:29

Even if this excuse were true as you a) knew when your period was going to be and b) thought this would stop you from going on holiday, would you honestly give this as a reason to people you barely know. confused

How very, very odd.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: