Talk

Advanced search

to wnat to throttle people who glare at me when I talk to my ds in a loud, clear voice - because otherwise he won;t understand me?

(18 Posts)
smallwhitecat Mon 30-May-11 09:19:49

Message withdrawn

5DollarShake Mon 30-May-11 09:22:40

You're really not - what?

Goblinchild Mon 30-May-11 09:23:24

You don't look around to see who is observing your amazing parenting though, and you aren't offering him obscure and esoteric advice about multinational countries. Or encouraging him to distinguish between truffle types at 4.
So no, YANBU. Except possibly by getting annoyed about another thread that didn't have much to do with SN IMO.

Goblinchild Mon 30-May-11 09:36:37

I had a son who monologued about things he was interested in, in a loud monotone. I also used to have to explain things to him when we were out and about, as well as at home. I doubt anyone confused me with an uberparent educating her gifted offspring at those moments.
I have been guilty of that also. blush

Shakirasma Mon 30-May-11 09:42:16

YANBU

I think the other thread had a lot to do with SN, and it clearly showed how ignorant so many people are in thinking they can spot them without knowing anything about the people they are slating.

I have to do this with my DS, and I often look around to see if any ody is listening because I feel quite self conscious at times. I am a very private person and don't like people listening in to my conversations but I have to be loud and clear with my son. I don't do it with my older children.

I have no doubt that I look like an attention seeking parent to strangers.

Goblinchild Mon 30-May-11 09:53:05

It is impossible to know if a child has additional needs in many cases, but are you really saying that pretentious, loud, unnecessary parenting doesn't happen or is always impossible to identify as such?

SnuffleTurtle153 Mon 30-May-11 09:56:24

YABU for getting worked up about what was obviously intended to be a light-hearted thread. It was made plain several times by the OP and other posters that it was not about targeting parents with SN children and this recurring point as to how they can claim to 'spot' SN kids is totally besides the point. I can guarantee that if I started a thread saying 'I hate seeing parents feeding their kids chocolate' (disclaimer: I couldn't actually give a shit), the same people would leap all over it demanding to know how I could tell that child didn't have diabetes? Or maybe their pet hamster had just died? Or maybe their mother is a single parent of 11 children and has a degenirative disease and giving her kids chocolate occasionally is the only way to give them a treat?

Please get over yourselves. If you want to get all het up and angry try lurking on the deliberately provocative threads where it's precisely what the OP is looking for. Don't wilfully misinterpret a light-hearted discussion and then flounce off all injured-like once you've killed it.

activate Mon 30-May-11 10:01:50

didn't read other thread but know that there are parents speaking loudly and clearly because that is what their child needs and parents speaking loudly and clearly because they are playing to some kind of audience and want them to be amazed at what a wondeful parent / child they aer

so yes YABU

TheCowardlyLion Mon 30-May-11 10:04:50

YABU to start such a boring thread. Who really gives a toss how you talk to your DS?

Unless the universe does actually revolve around you?

Shakirasma Mon 30-May-11 10:09:47

Cowardly lion. Clearly many people give a toss and judge, that is why the other thread was started in the first place.

QuackQuackSqueak Mon 30-May-11 10:11:38

TheCowardlyLion

Wow that was nasty!

Serenitysutton Mon 30-May-11 10:12:37

How passive aggressive.

MonstaMunch Mon 30-May-11 10:18:14

you talk to your child shock

blimey

lisianthus Mon 30-May-11 12:00:33

YANBU

TheFlyingOnion Mon 30-May-11 12:09:10

seconding goblinchild

TheCowardlyLion Mon 30-May-11 12:30:25

Nasty - really? The OP starts a thread about a thread just to draw attention to the fact that she (one presumes - the 3 word long post wasn't that helpful) has a Good Reason for speaking to her child in a loud, clear voice. So what?

And Shakirasma - unless the other thread (which I haven't read) was started specifically to point out someone's annoyance with the fact that smallwhitecat speaks to her child in a loud clear voice, you really don't have any evidence for saying that anyone gives a toss about her behaviour.

TidyDancer Mon 30-May-11 12:35:03

Unnecessary thread, points were made sufficiently on the other one. YABU to have started this.

Mollydollydoll Mon 30-May-11 12:59:53

I agree YABVU

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now