Talk

Advanced search

To deactivate my Facebook account?

(13 Posts)
EttiKetti Mon 30-May-11 07:17:55

Just wonder what it will feel like, I don't spend huge amounts of time on there browsing, but do update my status randomly a couple of times a day, upload photos from my mobile etc....

however I am getting increasingly irritated by a few moaners on my friends list and its bringing out the worst in me so maybe its time.....

millie30 Mon 30-May-11 07:29:19

I'm wondering about the same thing. I've not been on facebook long, and a couple of my friends constantly write really annoying, attention seeking and sometimes offensive posts and it's putting me off them and making me not want to bother with them in real life! I'm trying to decide between ditching fb and salvaging my friendships, or ditching the friends instead because I do find fb a good way to keep in touch with my family and other friends.

IWantToBeAFairyWhenIGrowUp Mon 30-May-11 07:36:37

You can hide their posts instead.

clappyhands Mon 30-May-11 07:39:09

hiding posts from certain people - tis the future grin

beesimo Mon 30-May-11 07:59:51

There is far to much private and family business on FB because it is far to easy for people to forget themselves and run their mouths.

I had to chastise one of our workers Sat as she had put a rant about a customer (who fair enough is a bitch) on her facebook amd the customers DIL saw it cue for ructions and calls to sack lass.

Normally the lass would of got her mad up told her mates/Mam and moaned a bit to me about customer but lo its there for the whole world to see. Lass is a good girl so won't sack her but have lost custom over it.

Think on FB is TROUBLE

EttiKetti Mon 30-May-11 08:03:47

Thing is about hiding their posts, its like car crash viewing, looking at their moans....I can't stop myself and then grit my teeth and nnnnnggggg at myself a lot.....STOOOPID I know!

beesimo - oooh thats bad! Agree it can be dangerous, I don't mix work and FB!

I have deactivated.......for how long who knows grin it might mean my kids have a more active half term tho grin

kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 30-May-11 08:06:15

FB is the work of the devil. I did have an acount, but got so fed up with being poked and being sent ridiculous things (which never arrived in RL) that I stopped using it.
I don't know the password any more and haven't looked at it for at least three years.

Animation Mon 30-May-11 08:07:02

Yes, I think fb is becoming a curse - and that we actually need more privacy than we realize.

theinet Mon 30-May-11 13:50:38

i'm on Facebook but it is a problem that people often believe the stupid stuff that's posted on it is the gospel truth.

someone in a family i know altered their marital status and sexual proclivities ( as a 5 minute joke) on FB. Unfortunately quite some time later the "rumour" of the marital split got back 3rd hand to other members of the family (who know nothing about facebook and have never been on it) who were really shocked and horrified at the "news" which was reported to them as the gospel truth just because it had been "announced on Facebook.

I have been caught out by this sort of stuff too, once made a complete 'nana of myself by gossiping about someone's affairs when what had been posted on FB was in fact a load of nonsense - it came back to bite me and was hugely embarrassing.

it really has the potential to cause "upset" in the real world. so use FB at your own risk!

the above example is embarrassing but not the end of the world. but i think sometimes things go a lot further and people get hurt - even those not on FB, as a result of what goes on online there.

Mollydollydoll Mon 30-May-11 13:57:30

I only have real friends on Facebook and anyone that sends me a farmville thingy gets blocked!!!

sprinkles77 Mon 30-May-11 13:57:57

I made a page for my old cat. Yes really. Then my BIL put his status up as "engaged". To my cat. The cat was called Missy and was black. Somehow his mother, my MIL got the idea, via real life gossip, via FB, that her son was about to get married to an Afro- Caribbean girl. Now that was FUNNY!!!!!!

Bottleofbeer Mon 30-May-11 14:44:14

Just hide the updates from people you can't be bothered with, or delete them.

Just today I hid a woman, she does nothing but moan about her husband being lazy and under her feet because he hasn't had a job for eight years and can't be bothered to get one. She doesn't work either so when we're in the crappy-week-before-payday and utterly skint phase of the month and she's putting up yet more photos of their latest home improvements/statuses about how much she's just spent in toys r us/photos of her new hairdo/tattoo/holidays/pub lunches. I'm having to sit on my hands to refrain from typing in shouty caps to GET A FUCKING JOB THEN BRAG ABOUT HOW MUCH YOU'VE GOT. Simply because she makes no bones about the fact he doesn't work because he just can't be bothered angry.

theinet Mon 30-May-11 17:32:22

ha ha @ sprinkles 77 smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: