Talk

Advanced search

to be annoyed that my FIL lets DD speak on his mobile phone.

(13 Posts)
ilovehugs Sun 29-May-11 18:11:54

I use 'prudent avoidance' when it comes to wireless stuff. And whilst I do use a mobile, I don't let my kids use it. FIL knows this (and thinks it's paranoid). Today I caught him letting her speak to MIL on it. I was really annoyed, but let it go as it was only a quick call. Was wondering what others thought about mobile phone use for under 5's? IS once in a blue moon OK? How long how often? FILS argument was that just a few minutes wont hurt, but it really bothered me!

MonstaMunch Sun 29-May-11 18:13:04

once or twice i wouldnt think is a problem

having their own mobile phone is not really on though

there has been a lot of research about it damaging developing brains

troisgarcons Sun 29-May-11 18:13:21

What is the difference to a mobile and a landline?

Don't be paranoid about microwaving your brain ......

allhailtheaubergine Sun 29-May-11 18:13:32

grin

cjbartlett Sun 29-May-11 18:13:57

Yabu
a few minutes won't hurt
what will you do when they havetheir own phones at secondary school?

AgentZigzag Sun 29-May-11 18:15:13

Yeah, I would say a couple of mins are OK, not sure they'd talk on it more than that anyway at 5.

So long as it's not welded to their ear for hours.

If you're bothered about her having it right up to her ear, you could ask your FIL to use the speaker phone so she's just talking to it in her hand?

AgentZigzag Sun 29-May-11 18:17:40

Landline has an electrical charge down a wire troisgarcons, whereas a mobile uses weak microwaves which some people think could be dangerous.

Notquitegrownup Sun 29-May-11 18:17:46

I have always been very very cautious on letting my kids near a mobile. I understood the scientific research to say as they have been in common useage for so short a time, that the jury is out on whether prolonged use is going to be a cause for concern, but that, as they do emit low level radiation, and that the skull is considerably thinner in an under 10 year old, then their use should be very limited for children.

I am sure that others will have more up to date links, but that was the advice last time I looked it up, so I am with you on this one. Very occasional use for a quick hello, OK, but that's my limit too.

Notquitegrownup Sun 29-May-11 18:19:28

Quick google search produced this link to Independent story 2008

Notquitegrownup Sun 29-May-11 18:20:22

And this eek!

MadamDeathstare Sun 29-May-11 18:22:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ilovehugs Sun 29-May-11 18:29:09

cjbartlett - eeep that hadn't crossed my mind! At least they should have thicker skulls by then.
Speaker phone is a good idea.

Does anyone actually let their 3 year old have a bit of a lengthly chat to say, a dad who's working a way or such like on a mobile phone?

DontCallMePeanut Sun 29-May-11 18:45:16

YABU...

DS is 3. We live 200 + miles from ex FIL and MIL and nearly 2000 miles from my parents. I phone my parents once a week, and ex FIL and MIL once a fortnight. I let DS say a quick hello, and have a short conversation. A couple of minutes won't hurt. I think the articles linked are looking at more avid users, as opposed to a few minutes to say hello to a grandparent on the mobile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now