Talk

Advanced search

Help! Just rescued a kitten and can't keep it

(43 Posts)
FoundaKitten Sun 29-May-11 16:17:54

First time I've posted - I hope someone can help me!

To try and be brief - a few weeks ago I was walking to work and saw a kitten (6-8 weeks, far too young to be out on its own). Picked it up just as it was about to walk into the road and knocked on doors until I found where it lived, they didn't seem in the least bit bothered, or the fact that it was about to be hit by a car.

An hour ago, walking down the street again, same kitten this time actually in the road. Picked it up, this time the people were on their doorstep just watching their kitten about to be hit by a car (actually going out into ongoing traffic). I picked it up, they came over and said "Do you want it", they said it was theirs but they didn't want it anymore (so had clearly decided to let it get hit by a car to take it off their hands).

I had no choice but to take it home, couldn't leave it to die, but live in a small flat with cats already who will hate it (I've had to lock them in the kitchen for now). Does anyone want a very sweet kitten? I live in North London, and hoping someone can help - I've already phoned rescues but they are all full.

I'm fuming with the awful neighbours.

YellowDinosaur Sun 29-May-11 16:21:33

We are several hours north of you so can't help (and already have 3 cats too) but posting in the hope you find someone to give the poor little thing a home.

People like this make me crazy with anger. They were really happy to let the kitten be killed rather than trying to rehome it? angry bastards.

One of our cats was abandoned by neighbours who moved house and left him behind. Actually it was fine by us since he always used to vist (not encouraged but difficult to stop without sitting by the cat flap) and we loved him but they didn't know that.

viewfromawindow Sun 29-May-11 16:24:59

Would love to help but also far to far away! Well done you for doing the right thing and taking it in. I am sure someone will be on later with an offer....have you posted in the pets section?

FoundaKitten Sun 29-May-11 16:26:19

I know, I can't even begin to understand some people.

I'm going to try and add some photos with the hope that someone knows someone local who will fall in love with it (it really is incredibly sweet).

One of my other cats is already growling under the door and no idea what I'm going to do with it (although not being a heartless bastard I will of course care for it until I can find it a safe home).

FoundaKitten Sun 29-May-11 16:27:10

Ah no - I'll repost there (haven't ever posted before, just lurked so still trying to work this all out)

SummerRain Sun 29-May-11 16:27:24

One of mine appeared in our garden heavily pregnant.... we live in the middle of nowhere so she didn't just wander over from somewhere else. Clearly she got pregnant and rather than deal with the kittens someone just dumped her in the countryside.

Another one of mine I found playing in the middle of the road down a boreen near hear.... no houses anywhere close enough for him and his litter mate to have come from and they were half starved. I managed to rescue him but the other one was too timid and I was never able to catch her, she had disappeared by the next day sad

It makes my blood boil how people are with cats... they seem to see them as disposable toys that can just be dumped or ignored once the novelty wears off/they get pregnant/they get too big and need more food.

lubeybooby Sun 29-May-11 16:28:17

Ohhh how horrible sad Well done you for looking after it for now. I would take it, but transport is a problem and can't afford a train. Leicestershire here.

YellowDinosaur Sun 29-May-11 16:30:12

Maybe post in Chat too? Is even busier than AIBU

YellowDinosaur Sun 29-May-11 16:32:08

Could you shut the kitten in the bathroom with a cushion, cat litter and food / water and let your other cats out? A kitten only needs a small space and it will be easier to keep them in there rather than your own stuck in the kitchen?

When we got our third we kept her in the smallest room until the other 2 got used to her and she used to freeze whereever she was when we opened the door so never tried to run for it

FoundaKitten Sun 29-May-11 16:33:21

Great - I'll repost in chat as well. Thank you.

Does anyone know how to add photos?

DooinMeCleanin Sun 29-May-11 16:33:32

Please take the kitten back. Someone stole dd1's kitten under similar circumstances and she is still devesated over a year later. It wasn't 'allowed' out, it was a bugger for escaping in any way it could, it was also a lot smaller than it should have been for it's age.

Unless the kitten looks unfed, please take it back.

smudgethepuppydog Sun 29-May-11 16:35:01

Could you advertise it on Freeads

Joolyjoolyjoo Sun 29-May-11 16:35:25

I'm too far away (scotland), although would have loved to help out.

have you tried local cat rescue places (Cat Protection League, cat Action Trust etc)? In the last few years kittens seem to have been getting harder to come by- to the point where I've known some of my clients pay a fortune for flu-ridden farm kittens (grr) , so some of the charities may even have people waiting for a kitten? Just a thought

Hope your wee guy (?girl?) finds a home soon smile

PinotGrigiosKittens Sun 29-May-11 16:35:50

Call here tomorrow morning

You don't need to find a home on MN, you need to ask the local cats rescue to help you as they'll have a list of potential owners waiting for a kitten. And also they are experienced with fostering until a home is found.

Northernlurker Sun 29-May-11 16:36:06

Dooin - the op knows whose kitten it was and they said they didn't want it and were happy for it to be hit by a car! Definately not a good idea to take it back!

DooinMeCleanin Sun 29-May-11 16:36:24

Do not advertise it on free ads. Contact a rescue if you really can't take it back. If I ever find proof of who took dd1's kitten I am going to have them charged with theft, because theft by finding is a crime.

FoundaKitten Sun 29-May-11 16:36:56

They were sitting outside the house I returned it to last time (on the doorstep, with the door open).

I can't take it back and leave it with these people. And if it doesn't belong to these people (and they stole it a few weeks ago when I knocked on doors) where do you suggest I take it? Just leave it on the road?

DooinMeCleanin Sun 29-May-11 16:37:24

Oh they didn't want it? sorry blush. I didn't see that bit, I just jumped in. I am still very annoyed about dd1's kitten.

LilyPickle Sun 29-May-11 16:38:20

DooinMeCleanin - did you actually read the whole of the first post?

LilyPickle Sun 29-May-11 16:39:14

Crossposted - I would be angry as well if my cat was stolen sad

FoundaKitten Sun 29-May-11 16:40:05

I phoned Cats Protection who said they were full and Celia Hammond who said they were full as well and could only take it if I said I was going to drown it (which obviously I'm not).

DooinMrCleanin - I'm not really sure what to make of your posts. I didn't pick up a kitten for some Sunday afternoon drama, nor did I steal it. I assure you I'd much rather be having Sunday Lunch - which is where I supposed to be an hour ago.

FoundaKitten Sun 29-May-11 16:41:44

sorry DooinMeCleaning, I just cross posted as well

Yellow - the cats have their littertray in the bathroom, and it's their route to the garden so not really an option to put kitten in there.

Arg!

Driftwood999 Sun 29-May-11 16:42:36

You could also put up an ad in the local vet's surgeries. Church notice boards etc. That would be free and hopefully attract the right sort of audience iykwim. Well done for acting as you did, with your help the kittty should land on his/her feet soon and find a good home.

PinotGrigiosKittens Sun 29-May-11 16:42:39

OP you have to keep phoning around - it's a hassle but you'd be better off logging off MN and picking up the phone. Somewhere will take it if you phone around enough. My concern is that chatting about it on here isn't helping the poor thing, and is just distracting you from the task in hand.

Hope that doesn't sound harsh and you see what I mean.

DooinMeCleanin Sun 29-May-11 16:43:59

Advertising it on the free ads is not a good idea. Anyone could phone up wanting it for unsavoury reasons such as constantly breeding it. You really need to try and get a rescue involved so that any prospective homes can be vetted and the kitten will be spayed.

Could you keep it until tomorrow and contact your vets? Ours take in and look after yound kittens until rescue space can be found for them. The vet nurses usually foster them.

I didn't read your post properly, sorry blush. I had just presumed you judged the kittens owners as neglectful because you found it wandering twice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now