Talk

Advanced search

to want nice nightwear for DD?

(30 Posts)
StealthPolarBear Sun 29-May-11 13:05:18

Went out yesterday looking for pyjamas/nighties for DD - she is coming up to 2 and has outgrown her sleep suits. I looked in Asda, Sainsbury's and M&S. Every nightie was a Disney princess style, frilly and a horrible syntheticy material. Most pyjamas I could find were pink and either hello kitty / pepps pig - and you pay for the privilege. I fnally managed to get a 2 pack of cotton pyjamas, mostly pink but quite nice.
TBH I'm less bothered about the pink thing than I am about the disney princess style synthetic material. I would have preferred nighties, sure my nighties just used to be like long cotton T shirts in bright colours. Do they not exist any more?

Happymm Sun 29-May-11 13:09:53

You can get some nice ones in next,but may need to order...DD has some lovely shorts/tshirt ones for the summer.

squeakytoy Sun 29-May-11 13:10:12

primark has plenty of t-shirt type nighties for girls in all sorts of patterns and colours smile

rathlin Sun 29-May-11 13:10:12

Don't know too much about girl's nightwear but try John Lewis, White Comnpany and GAP. I have lovely PJs from all those places from my 2yr old DS. Imagine the girl's stuff is equally nice.

StealthPolarBear Sun 29-May-11 13:11:25

might have to hvae a look. TBH I'm maybe being a bit unfair as I saw a few nice things on the M&S site but they weren't in the (small) store I looked in. But what's making me angry is that nighties were large cotton t shirts when I was younger, now they seem to be an excuse to dress up like a princess in your nasty nylon dress

KurriKurri Sun 29-May-11 13:12:01

i think your best bet is to look online. There are some pretty things on here which are all cotton and not covered in disney crap.

StealthPolarBear Sun 29-May-11 13:12:31

hmm, can get to next but the others will require quite a bit of effort just to get DD something to sleep in grin PLus, presumably JL and the Wite Stuff are expensive?

peeriebear Sun 29-May-11 13:14:28

Peacocks do some nice non- Disney ones, we got a two pack of long t-shirt ones with pink dachsunds on for about a fiver.

peeriebear Sun 29-May-11 13:14:38

*Dachshunds!

StealthPolarBear Sun 29-May-11 13:15:06

Thanks Kurri - they are lovely but quite expensive, or am I just tight? grin

worraliberty Sun 29-May-11 13:16:52

Primark are great for these things.

Alternatively, you could but her a long cotton T-shirt to sleep in grin

worraliberty Sun 29-May-11 13:17:38

Or then again, you could buy her one blush

KurriKurri Sun 29-May-11 13:17:54

No you are right, they are expensive for kids PJ's smile

StealthPolarBear Sun 29-May-11 13:18:12

OK primark and Peacocks, thanks
Not seen any - though not really been looking - the first night when we realised her sleepsuits were crippling her she slept in a cotton dress but it wasn't ideal as it had buttons up the back.

StealthPolarBear Sun 29-May-11 13:18:56

long cotton T shirts I mean - the long ones (e.g. 4yo DS's) would also be wide, wouldn't they? Don't want her looking like a bat grin

KurriKurri Sun 29-May-11 13:19:19

I always used to buy my DD's in primark - theirs are cotton/flannelette, but I don't know what their range is like for toddler.

IHeartKingThistle Sun 29-May-11 13:21:54

DD has some lovely t-shirty nighties from sainsburys.

StealthPolarBear Sun 29-May-11 13:22:42

Well I looked there!! Might have to have another look when I'm next in. Wonder if it;s an age thing - there were a few for older girls (who have presumably grown out of the disney princess thing)

KurriKurri Sun 29-May-11 13:32:10

these in Asda

or this in BHS

BHS seem to be a bit random about whether their nighties are cotton or polyester confused

MumblingRagDoll Sun 29-May-11 13:34:54

We get ...things like this

At around 20 pounds for a nightie....but they last and last....Powellcraftdo gorfeous ones and all cotton. If you google "Powellcraft nightie" then often you might find them on sale in various stores.

Sariska Sun 29-May-11 13:41:33

JoJo Maman Bebe? They do mail order (plus MN discount) and usually offer £5 off if you buy 2 pairs. Plus their sales are good. OK, they're not the cheapest but the stuff is good quality, washes well and is a tack-free zone.

NamyMcChanger Sun 29-May-11 13:47:36

H and M sometimes have nice, basic things, dd had a lovely nightie from there with a flower and strawberry print.

jubilee10 Sun 29-May-11 13:48:09

Vertbaudet - not the cheapest but good sales and ofter voucher codes!

foreverondiet Sun 29-May-11 15:08:06

Little girls nightie generally synthetic as legally they have to be made of fire resistant material. If you look hard you can find ones with fire resistant cotton (The little white company) but that's the reason for the synthetic material. My mum said was the same when we were young (fire resistant material for nighties).

StealthPolarBear Sun 29-May-11 15:09:37

But why not the same rule for t shirts/ Or sleepsuits - they are cotton aren't they?
If not, well I just want something in that material, not the floaty/frilly satiny stuff

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: