Advanced search

Advice on passport

(15 Posts)
WishIhadbeenabondbabe Sat 28-May-11 17:38:51

Hi everyone
Sorry in advance for being a boring postblush
Please can anyone offer extemely helpful advice?
My 10 year passport runs out 2nd aug this year.I'm going to the Canary Islands on 25th June for two weeks(family holiday).
Someone told me today that I need at least 6months left on my passport to go from U.K to the Canaries.
I thought that only applied to going to the US?
If my passport runs out a couple of weeks after my hoilday surely I'm allowed to travel?
Just wondered if anyone knew.Thankyou so much for readingsmile

Groovee Sat 28-May-11 17:41:40

I think it's 12 weeks but I changed dd's for going to holland before the time last year. it came in 5 days.

beesimo Sat 28-May-11 17:43:02

There's a lot of 'criminal' activity in the Canaries re money laundering shonkey companies ect. Therfore I do think its right that you need at least 6 moths on your passport.

tiredgranny Sat 28-May-11 17:43:54

i think its 2 weeks for eu canaries r not in eu check on there embassy website

LadyThumb Sat 28-May-11 17:45:35

I'm pretty sure you will need more than a couple of weeks. Each country varies. You may find the country will accept you, but the airline will not. Not worth taking the chance - get it renewed now (they add the time you've got left onto the new passport).

Sirzy Sat 28-May-11 17:46:48

I'm pretty sure the 6 months is universal. I would contact the passport office on Tuesday (or check there website)

ratspeaker Sat 28-May-11 17:48:04

Isn't it part of Spain therefore the same entry requirements

"There is no minimum passport validity requirement but your passport must be valid for the planned period of your stay. " according to .gov website may have some info

RockStockandTwoOpenBottles Sat 28-May-11 17:52:07

The Canaries are most definitely part of the EU. I have travelled back from Spain with less than a week on my British passport (went to renew it) and there was no problem. I would call the Spanish Embassy and check with them. I don't think it will be a problem, but better check than not.

ratspeaker Sat 28-May-11 17:56:53

There is a website that says a longer passport is needed but I think it means for non EU citizens

If you have a passport from an EU country you should be able to travel

They also advise having an EHIC

smudgethepuppydog Sat 28-May-11 17:59:37

This site says six clear months on your passport. Can you ring a travel agents for advice?

LunaticFringe Sat 28-May-11 18:12:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

justpaddling Sat 28-May-11 18:17:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RockStockandTwoOpenBottles Sat 28-May-11 18:56:21

Not surprisingly hundreds (if not thousands) lose their passports in Spain every year. The Spanish will HAPPILY let (the majority) wink leave, all one needs to do is contact the local consulate and they will provide the paperwork to get back into the UK.

ratspeaker Sat 28-May-11 19:47:18

Yeah smudge thats the site that I thought might be aimed at non EU nationals as its advice seems contrary to the advice given on UK foreign office site that I've linked above

bubblecoral Sat 28-May-11 19:56:34

The canaries are part of the EU, but there must be some difference in law because you are allowed to buy duty free cigarettes when you go to Tenerife, which you can't do for the rest of the EU! grin

I would get your passport renewed as the airline might not accept it on the off chance that the country refuses you entry when you get there. What if one of you got ill and had to stay out there longer, or another ash cloud prevents you from returning on time?

Better safe than sorry.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: