Talk

Advanced search

to consider bringing DS on holiday tomorrow?

(11 Posts)
WakeUpRosemary Sat 28-May-11 13:36:30

I'm in a quandary. My DS, 3.6, has had a throat infection since Tuesday. We brought him to the doctor on Wednesday and got antibiotics. We are due to fly to Spain on holidays tomorrow and the doctor said that he would most likely be okay by then. However, we brought him to an out-of-hours doctor today as he was still running a temperature, lethargic and not eating. This doctor says that his throat is still infected and gave us more antibiotics. He was non-committal about whether or not we should fly tomorrow but gave us a not-fit-to-fly letter for insurance purposes. He also said DS could be okay by tomorrow, kids can bounce back from things like that, etc - so not much help really.

The thing is, when DS has had some painkillers he's full of beans. He's been looking forward to this holiday for weeks and if we don't go tomorrow we won't be able to go until late August, if at all. But I don't want him to suffer or get worse. The fact that he's been to the doctor already means that if he did get worse abroad we wouldn't be covered by insurance.

We meant to be flying at 8 in the morning so we don't have time to decide tomorrow.

AIBU to even consider bringing him? I'm 80 per cent against it.

squeakytoy Sat 28-May-11 14:03:00

I would go on the holiday. He will have a throat infection on holiday or not, and I would bet it clears up a lot quicker on holiday than being stuck at home.

Plenty of fluids to stop him being dehydrated and soothe his throat, and get packing. smile

Happymm Sat 28-May-11 14:04:13

Give him a bumper (double) dose of antibiotics to kick start things and maybe put off making a decision till much later? Hope he gets better quickly sad

MainlyMaynie Sat 28-May-11 14:08:53

Your e1-11 will cover him for emergency treatment if he needs it there, won't it? No idea whether you should go or not though! Do you think he might be infectious? If so, not nice for others for you to get on a plane. If not, I think I'd be tempted to give him painkillers just before the journey and take him.

WakeUpRosemary Sat 28-May-11 14:17:34

I doubt it's infectious unless he was sharing cutlery or glasses and things. I've been kissing him all week and I'm okay.

It's so hard to know. Earlier, when he was lethargic, we thought there was no way we could bring him. Now he's had some painkillers, we're thinking we'd be crazy not to go.

MainlyMaynie, yes the E1-11 would cover him, I think.

Oh crap, maybe I'll get packing just in case.

belgo Sat 28-May-11 14:19:48

Happymm - are you sure about the double dose of antibiotics? I would stick to the doctor's prescription.

WakeupRosemary - has he improved at all in the last few days?

WakeUpRosemary Sat 28-May-11 14:25:30

Belgo, I wouldn't say he has improved really. He gets bursts of energy and he's fine and then he's suddenly got a temperature and is lethargic again. He looks tired and pale. The doctor said this morning that his throat is quite infected. He was on amoxcillyn and he had one dose this morning and now he has augmentin and has had one dose so far and I was going to give him two more doses before he goes to bed tonight.

We've booked a hire car for the holiday so we wouldn't be waiting around for transfers, etc, and can take him for nap/drives while we're there. If the Augmentin works he should be quite improved by Monday.

belgo Sat 28-May-11 14:26:19

Difficult decision.

clam Sat 28-May-11 14:41:26

There are medics in Spain, you know, so if he did deteriorate, you'd be no worse off than if you were here. And if he's responding to Calpol/Nurofen and feeling better after a dose of that, then you can manage it.
You have another 24 hours of antibiotics too, which will almost certainly make a difference.
Don't write the holiday off yet.
Good luck.

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Sat 28-May-11 14:42:26

I had similar dilemma when dd was 7 and developed a throat infection
accompanied by vomiting a couple of days before we were due to fly out to Spain.

Against my better judgement (and for reasons that I won't bore anyone with here) I decided to risk it.

Dd threw up on way to airport, slept on the plane, woke up on landing, and within a couple of hours had gone from being extremely unwell to miraculous recovery.

Spanish medical facilities are excellent, pharmacists are invariably knowledgeable, and anitbiotics are cheap (and were available without prescription last time I went to Spain a few years back - I used to stock up my first aid box on my trips).

An EHIC will cover you, and I'm a great believer in the efficacy of sun and sea air (hope you're going to a coastal region) for everything except broken limbs and serious medical conditions.

Unless your ds takes a distinct turn for the worse later today, have a great time!

WakeUpRosemary Sat 28-May-11 14:53:52

Thanks! I think I'll pack. He's not been vomiting but just very high temperature and not eating. We're going to a place with buffets for dinner as well so he can pick at a lot of things until he feels better. He'd have a lot more choice than at home, that's for sure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now