Talk

Advanced search

to fuming that there has been no staff at the local secondary school since 3.30pm to take a serious complaint about bullying and harrasment

(490 Posts)
tomhardyismydh Fri 27-May-11 17:09:40

I walked past the house of a family who I do know but not terribly well and I am aware there middle daughter is being bullied.

outside was a group of girls looking in through their window shouting and jeering and swearing. I know the mum works some afternoons so I did intervien and tell the group of girls to leave them alone and move away from the house...in hindsight a bit silly of me as I did have my 5 yr old dd with me, but I wasn't in any way afraid forour safety or anything. Turns out the mum was home and she also then came out. They took the message and went away, but then followed me up the street shouting and swearing and berating me. It was laughable really but attempted to call non emergency police no just to show the little shits they can get away with behaving like this, but my bloody mobile died on me.

Anyway I have been trying to call the school since 3.30 and no one has been available to take my call, and have just now been told all senior management staff left at 4.15 and receptionist cant locate any other teaching staff. no one will be in over half term. now I m shocked that the head did not pick up his answer messages before leaving the school for a whole week, I had left one message at 3.30 and one at 4pm. I find it hard to even believe the head of a secondary school would even finish at 4.15.

Im tempted to call the non emergancy no again to give the message to the school this not acceptable, but Im sure this is very little the police would even be able to do.

also I want to say bunch of little bitches how horrible for a group of girls to behave like this!!!!!

GypsyMoth Fri 27-May-11 17:11:40

its not a school matter though is it???

prettyfly1 Fri 27-May-11 17:13:02

It is the half term weekend so most of them will be off. Also it isnt a school issue - you would be better calling a community support officer and explaining the situation,asking them to keep an eye.

fiorentina Fri 27-May-11 17:13:03

Whilst it's horrid that she's being bullied. What did you expect the school to do as this incident was outside school time?

tomhardyismydh Fri 27-May-11 17:14:24

why is it not? a group of youngsters on the way home in there uniform harassing a fellow pupil, and a member of the public. It bloody well should be a school a matter, are you seriously saying it isnt?

MotherPanda Fri 27-May-11 17:15:05

Actually, it probably is a school matter. I know at my school we used to get called up on things people where seen doing when walking home in there uniform etc.

Of course, you could call the police, but you might find it difficult to identify the girls without the assistance of the school (i suppose you could go and speak to the family about it, they might know some names).

How awful, and with your dd with you as well.

TheCowardlyLion Fri 27-May-11 17:15:08

Yes, to echo everyone else - why are you calling the school? confused I understand why you would call the police to report anti-social behaviour but WTF has the school got to do with it?

tomhardyismydh Fri 27-May-11 17:15:23

the school should be made aware of the conduct of the pupils.

GypsyMoth Fri 27-May-11 17:15:37

the pupil had a parent present??confused

TigerseyeMum Fri 27-May-11 17:15:38

What time do you think school staff should be permitted to leave the premises then?

Perhaps they all worked very long hours in the week just so they could get away in good time on the last day before the bank holiday weekend? Or maybe they started work at 7am?

You can't expect staff to be there at all hours to take a call from someone about what happened outside of school.

Northernlurker Fri 27-May-11 17:16:06

The school should act because these girls were in uniform. I agree there should be some one there till 6pm.

activate Fri 27-May-11 17:16:38

so you think that school staff should be available to take your call after school has finished at the start of a half-term?

would you be if it was you?

cjbartlett Fri 27-May-11 17:17:24

I agree it is a school matter
but the girls mum could phone the school
or she could have phoned the police
I'd put a complaint in writing to the head

IprivateI Fri 27-May-11 17:17:29

Well it is Friday. Maybe they all want to go home? You should have called the police, and let them deal with it. Why the hell wasn't the parent doing anything? confused

activate Fri 27-May-11 17:17:50

Why do you think there should be people there till 6pm when it's the last day of term and school could have closed at 3?

why would you think that?

GypsyMoth Fri 27-May-11 17:17:52

and apart from a bit of swearing and shouting,what have they actually done???

ou dont know the full story here....and you could now have made things worse for the girl involved. her mother was there to deal with it!!

beesimo Fri 27-May-11 17:18:02

OP you did right to intervene, that poor lass and her Mam trying to stand up to bullies on their own. Everybody on that street should have come out of their houses and kicked those little bitches from one end of the road to the other.

Who do these scummers they think they are.

TigerseyeMum Fri 27-May-11 17:18:07

Why 6pm? Seems a bit arbitrary to me. It's a school. It's half term. Teachers do stupidly long hours. Just because they weren't there after school had finished makes them somehow neglectful?

ilovesooty Fri 27-May-11 17:18:09

No, it isn't, if it happened off the school premises outside school time. It certainly isn't reasonable to expect staff to be on hand and ready to deal with it at that time on a Friday afternoon. I expect the HT will have a word after the holidays but it isn't their job to deal with it as an emergency.

mnistooaddictive Fri 27-May-11 17:18:16

It isn't a school matter, call the police not the school. The headteacher has probably been there until at least 8 every evening this week and is making the most of half term. Do you know how many phone calls heads get? Yours won't have been the only one, it probably wasn't considered urgent as there us nothing he/she can do.

Northernlurker Fri 27-May-11 17:18:39

What has the 1/2 term holiday to do with anything? Today is a full working day. The issue is that schools shut down at an absurdly early hour in business terms and the op has an urgent matter to discuss.
Incidentally I discussed an issue with my oldest daughter when she got home then tried to rng school. They had all gone home too - at 4.30pm.

tomhardyismydh Fri 27-May-11 17:20:10

tillytullip god forbid your family are every treated like this, they where harassing these people that is not ok.

MotherPanda Fri 27-May-11 17:20:17

I think its reasonable of the op to have expected somebody to have taken her call when she called at 3.30pm.

The fact that they where there untill 4.15 means that they could have responded to her message.

It is unusual for a secondary school to be so empty by 4.15, although perhaps they had arranged for an early day as it was half term? My mums a primary school teacher and has to be at work till 6 most days.

manicbmc Fri 27-May-11 17:21:16

It is a school matter - they were in uniform. Could you speak to the other mother to identify these girls and go in armed with information after half term?

TigerseyeMum Fri 27-May-11 17:21:37

Schools shut down at school shutting down time.

Or maybe teachers should rock up at 9am and go home at 5pm and not do any work outside of those times grin

Instead of being there at 7am, usually leaving at 6pm like I used to then going home and working to 11pm (like I also used to)?

Before a holiday, why stay later when every pupil has gone home?

By the way, most of those teachers will spend the bulk of the half term 'holiday' catching up on work.

I'd say, cut them a little slack, YABU.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: