Talk

Advanced search

...to find the latest jump in measles cases alarming?

(7 Posts)
CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 27-May-11 14:05:45

This story of a sharp rise in measles cases plus the news that there are outbreaks in continental Europe are a little worrying. I had measles myself as a 4 year-old and had health problems for quite some time afterwards, so I know how nasty it can be. AIBU to think the calls for more people (adults as well as children) to be immunised make a lot of sense?

DorisIsAPinkDragon Fri 27-May-11 14:11:58

YANBU friend of mine was worried by this she is due to go to france for holidays tomorrow. She is having her little one immunised today.

Malgosia Fri 27-May-11 16:59:29

Why are my children getting measles ask homeopathy fans

xstitch Fri 27-May-11 17:03:34

YANBU. I am pregnant and rather worried about it. DD has had her MMR and booster and I had the MMR as an older person through work but I worry about the risk to the baby with the pregnancy related drop in your immune system and then teh risk to the baby between birth and being old enough for the MMR.

IndigoBell Fri 27-May-11 17:05:37

YABU. The whole point of the story is to alarm you - or rather to alarm parents like me who haven't had their children vaccinated.......

It's not really news at all.

LynetteScavo Fri 27-May-11 17:08:42

If you've had the MMR and pre-school MMR, can you still catch measles? How long are you immune?

The calls for people to be vaccinated do make sense, but I can't see it making much difference. I think most people who don't vaccinate make the decision after doing their own research, rather than because they can't be bothered, or forget to take their DC to the GP.

barbie007 Fri 27-May-11 17:09:47

I just don't understand how some mothers do not give the MMR to their children.
The whole autism link has been proven to have been wrong....so why not vaccinate?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now