Talk

Advanced search

to feel fed up that i cant find just 1 hour a week to do something for me!

(23 Posts)
llynnnn Fri 27-May-11 13:47:59

I have 2 dds, one is at full time school, other is almost 2, my dh works until 7.30 most evenings and every other Saturday and I work part time office hours 3 days per week.

I would love to start a weekly exercise class or start going to weight watchers meetings every week but I can't find anything which fits around childcare etc!

It's so frustrating that I can't have this one thing for me. I used to do so many things before my beautiful children and am craving just a little of that back!

MonstaMunch Fri 27-May-11 13:53:22

you can go to WW in the daytime in some areas - if you can dump leave your little one while you go to work part time, how come you cant find one more hour to do "me" stuff

oi who said at the back faffing on t'internet is me time - shush!

Rowgtfc72 Fri 27-May-11 13:53:34

I work mornings, dh works 2-10 weekdays, 6-2 Saturdays and some Sundays. Dd is at school two and a half days a week. I sympathise with you, everything seems to be evening and weekend based. I have forgotten what happened to me !

cyb Fri 27-May-11 13:57:06

sorry but I don't believe anyone cant find one hour a week for themselves. Gyms have creches, there are evening classes and weekend classes or just go for a run/walk when your H gets in

Stop finding excuses and find actions [meant kindly]

llynnnn Fri 27-May-11 13:57:54

There is ww in the daytime but not sure theyd appreciate a toddler there. I pay a small fortune to leave my child while I work hard earning money for our family.

Thanks for your reply, its just frustrating! BTW I'm on my lunch break at work at the moment!

bosch Fri 27-May-11 13:58:02

Can you find gym with creche (I was member of virgin for a while, but v expensive, only cost effective if you can go quite a bit)
If your almost 2 year old is in nursery when you're at work, can you keep him in an hour longer so that you can go straight to a class after work?
Otherwise, you need to swop children with another mum. Try to encourage friendships between your 2 year old and peers on the school run and you never know what may come of it...

ChippingIn Fri 27-May-11 14:01:53

My local community gym is cheap (£23.50 a month, got on a special, but they have them all the time) and it has a creche. I haven't used it, but it's cheap & the kids always seem to be having fun (glass windows along the hallway). They all go in happily & come out happy. Is that an option?

WW - phone around, some of the leaders wont mind a little one tagging along with you.

Is there one night a week DH can commit to getting home at a set time so you can go out - preferably with friends doing something fun!

LisaD1 Fri 27-May-11 14:02:27

WW are usually fine with children there. I went to one whilst childminding and took all my mindees with me (with parental consent, was on our way to toddler group), nobody minded at all and they were by no means the only children there.

llynnnn Fri 27-May-11 14:03:36

Thank you all. Cyb you are right I do find excuses and whinge! Thank you for the kick up the bum and all the suggestions!

lazylula Fri 27-May-11 14:10:00

I took my ds2 with me to my WW group and will be going back in 3 weeks time with ds2 and dd. No one minded at all, infact most of the members were older ladies and they made a fuss of ds2, entertained him while I got weighed ect.

llynnnn Fri 27-May-11 18:43:09

Thanks lazylula, I'm going to have a ring round see what they say

magicmelons Fri 27-May-11 19:00:02

My dc go to the creche at the gym whilst i go to classes, i pay 12 quid each pm for their membership and they get up to 4 hours childcare a day for that. Its a bargain, sometimes i put them in creche so as i can have a coffee in piece and quiet. The creche is like a soft play area so i don't feel guilty. They go for 2 hours twice a week it has turned my life around.

fluffles Fri 27-May-11 19:01:54

your DH gets back at 7:30 so that's perfect for you to get to an 8pm class twice a week. perfect.

dixiechick1975 Fri 27-May-11 19:08:13

My DD used to love going to WW with her Nana when she was minded by her aged 3/4 - agree lots of old ladies to fuss a toddler.

I do one class a week - you pay for a block so more incentive to turn up as have already paid.

MotherOfSuburbia Fri 27-May-11 19:10:33

Every WW meeting I have been to has had mums with kids there. I wouldn't worry about that.

skybluepearl Fri 27-May-11 19:13:55

start running. you can do it anytime and ifts free.

justhavintheone Fri 27-May-11 19:52:55

bus to work and run home x

bessie26 Fri 27-May-11 20:06:44

Run! (or jog or walk) I'm going to start again as soon as I've had my 6 week check - if I can get a 30min run & a shower in-between bf DD2 then I'm sure you can nip out for a quick jog round the block once your DH gets home?! grin

Plan it & put it in your diary!

Scholes34 Fri 27-May-11 20:35:14

Get changed into your kit before your DH gets home and go for a quick run as soon as he walks through the door. Time to yourself with an iPod!

whackamole Fri 27-May-11 20:38:13

Why can't you take a toddler to WW? I would.

<providing they were not my toddlers of course>

mrswoodentop Fri 27-May-11 20:54:44

Daytime WW in my experience always full of children

YellowDinosaur Fri 27-May-11 22:18:59

Another option if you get a lunch hour at work is to take 1 and a half hours one day so you can go to the gym for 45-60 mins (assuming there is one near you) at lunchtime and have 30 mins the other 2 days you work.

Or have half an hour for lunch each day and leave 1 and a half hours early one day to fit in a class / gym trip on your way home once a week.

Could that work?

YellowDinosaur Fri 27-May-11 22:19:56

When she is 3 you can put her in the creche (soft play) for free at our local Ikea so you could do that and have a coffee there? Not doing excercise but time to yourself for free anyway?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now