Talk

Advanced search

To consider bleaching my hair myself?

(20 Posts)
MumblingRagDoll Fri 27-May-11 12:49:42

Well am I? It's naurally a pale brown colour but for years I have dyed it a darker shade of brown. I have been steadily going grey since I ws 17 and my roots when they appear are terrible...almost a solid white line. I am 34...I dont want to go grey....I just don't!

Surely if nature has decided that I can pull of white/grey hair then I can also pull off a cool blonde?

I have googled and found a v good website which gives instructions about DIY bleaching....pre-lightner is applied (first to a bi of hair which you snip off) then you wait and see how lon it takes to lighten....then once you have that time correct...you put the pre lightner on your hair....apparently this is where people go wrong...they often remove it too soon as they panic when they see the hair changing....also you need an assistant to make sure that it is not patchy...if there is a patchy area, you have to re-apply it...after all that then you apply a blonde dye...

I just cannot afford a salon job...they're SO expensive and the two which I cisied to enquire were unsure about the final cost....which I cannot risk a on a tight budget.

So AIBU? This dark hir just doesn't suit me anymore!

EauRouge Fri 27-May-11 13:05:15

YABBrave grin I tried it once and it looked awful. Fortunately I was young and grunge was in so it didn't matter. Is there a college near you that does a hairdressing course? You can often get cheap/free dye jobs, much better than attempting it at home.

TotemPole Fri 27-May-11 13:08:55

Good luck. I went yellow with orangey patches. The blonde dye just didn't take on top of the pre lightened hair. blush

Hopefully some success stories will come along to explain how to do it properly.

Buy a reddy brown dye to put on if it goes horribly wrong.

MumblingRagDoll Fri 27-May-11 13:12:27

Hmm...there IS college near-ish....could try them....

Totem...on the site I looked at, it said the reason this happens is that most people don't leave the pre-lgihtner on for long enough....id you do a strand test? I may snip hair from fvarious areas on my head...and then leave them for the same time....and see if there are huge differences.....(I have a LOT of hair and it's layered)

nomedoit Fri 27-May-11 13:14:38

You know you will look like you dyed your hair yourself?

jeckadeck Fri 27-May-11 13:14:40

I used to bleach my hair myself and its not as drastic as people would have you believe: don't listen to the people who tell you it will all fall out (it almost certainly won't unless you're bleaching the whole lot every week.) A couple of things to bear in mind though:

a) it probably won't ever look quite as good as it would if you'd gone and had it done professionally: you will probably have orangey bits underneath etc and almost certainly bad split ends and it will go frizzy in wet weather.
b) don't do it if you're not 100% sure: if you decide you've made a mistake and try to put brown dye on top it won't take -- it will fade to an unpleasant shade of moss green. Only way to get rid of bleach is to put bright red toner on top followed by brown and this needs to be redone every six weeks or so and as you can imagine this is almost impossible to do yourself, meaning you'll have to pay an arm and a leg to get it sorted out.

Pandemoniaa Fri 27-May-11 13:14:51

I'd seriously try your local college. They are always looking for victims models and the trainee stylist doing your hair will be well supervised. The problem with home bleaching is that it is difficult to get the required strength of peroxide and most off the shelf products aren't strong enough. Which makes complete sense but can lead to some very strange, orangey effects.

MumblingRagDoll Fri 27-May-11 13:18:17

Hmm.....you're doing a good job of makig me reconsider.....scared now.

TotemPole Fri 27-May-11 13:19:33

I left it on longer than the stated time. I think the blonde dye I bought wasn't right for the colour it was when pre lightened.

I'd go with the others suggestions of trying a local college.

Saying that I might try it again myself some time. Watch out for the thread 'where can I buy cheap wigs from?' grin

2rebecca Fri 27-May-11 13:22:21

I do mine myself occasionally with the boxes, but only go from dark blonde to paler blond or reddish. Would use a salon for anything more drastic.

TotemPole Fri 27-May-11 13:22:31

Mumbling, the other thing about doing it yourself is you'll do it as a block colour, so your roots come through as a solid line. If you go to a hairdresser they can do the highlights/streaks so the roots don't come through like that and you can leave it longer between retouching.

FilthyRichAndCatflap Fri 27-May-11 13:35:30

I work in a salon and would deffo recommend a professional job. A good colourist will be able to look at your natural hair colour (ie the greying bits) and 'match' a blonde colour to it so that when it grows out, the roots arent so noticeable. Also, they can then use one product on the root growth and another on the ends so you dont get a stripey effect where different colours meet IYSWIM. Our local college is brilliant for cheap but professional hairdressing but not all colouring training is equally good. I suggest going to a few local salons, asking for a short (free) consultation, after which they should be able to give you a firm price for the work. If a salon is not prepared to do that then dont use them!! Remember it should be less expensive if you dont have it cut, or blow-dried. Where I work, we charge £39 for a one-colour all-over colour, plus 15.50 for a wet cut, or 23.50 for cut and blow-dry. (And the salon owner teaches colouring at other salons too)

Punkatheart Fri 27-May-11 13:47:52

I have had many colours and all home-dyed. But I wouldn't do it as an older adult. Unless you want to look like Shirley in Eastenders.

fifi25 Fri 27-May-11 13:52:32

I wouldnt do it myself with the prelightener - it doesnt work and goes patchy. You can highlight it with a b blone highlightening kit but the bleach wrecks your hair. You can also get the colour restore stuff by jerome russel . One friend it worked on the other it didnt so who knows but it didnt wreck their hair. Probably better off asking if the hairdressers have got a model night on ant they will do it for about £10 or our senior school do it for £5 in the hairdressing bit.

MrsRyanReynolds Fri 27-May-11 13:59:03

Personally I wouldn't risk doing it yourself.

It could turn a funny colour, in which case you will probably have to end up paying a salon for a colour correction which may be more pricey than the original highlights cost.

You could do a number of things to get it done cheaper

1. Just get the T-section done in a salon ie the top and front - it will hide roots and look sunkissed at a fraction of the price

2. Find a local hairdressing college where they will do it for free or very minimal cost - all supervised by a tutor and you often end up with a better result than a salon because they are really concentrating and not yapping away or distracted.

3. Model nights for a salon - similar thing to above

4. Mobile hairdresser - they have no overheads so can charge a lot less. My DH's hairdresser used to charge £39 in salon for a mens cut - she now does mobile and it is a fiver shock!!

Please don't do it yourself...

Joannezipan Fri 27-May-11 15:37:29

I used to bleach my own hair, it was fine the first time and looked really good. BUT unless you can put the dye on for the exact same time every time you do it it goes stripy!

CravingExcitement Fri 27-May-11 15:41:38

Go to your local college, it will be cheap. Take a book though, as it will take a long, long time!

LubyLu2000 Wed 22-Jun-11 13:45:31

Hi MumblingRagDoll
Just wondering if you did anything with your hair in the end? I too am a premature greyer!! (just posted on the style and beauty thread) and have been dyed dark brown/black for 20 years (I'm 39). I'm thinking about embracing the white if it'll look like a cool funky platinum style white! I've had my hair all chopped off so it would be a bit easier to do. So far I've had it done twice (admittedly first time I only went down to mahogany brown by choice) and at the moment it's a very goldy colour that I really don't like. I'm heading back tomorrow (live in Italy so a bit cheaper to get hair done)to get as pale as I can (don't know if it's possible though!) so at least the white growing in will be a bit less noticeable and then I'll decide what to do. Not sure if it's possible though. Fingers crossed!

I wouldnt!!!! You cant really dye brown hair to blonde without it going organge....I know from bitter experience. You need to get a colour stripped and strip all the brown out first (it'll go bright red) and then dye it.......a DIY jobbie sounds like a recipe for disaster!!

pod3030 Wed 22-Jun-11 14:07:53

i've been bleaching my red hair for years- got it down to a fine art but learned through many many mistakes! I pre- lighten, then give it a chance to recover, then use two natural looking blonde dyes- a warm and a lighter shade, and work them in so it gives a lovely natural sun lightened effect(no stripes). I choose the dyes that are ammonia free (boots botanics are good) and then condition with hot oil treatments and serums. it works for me! If it's a block of colour it will look un-natural .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now