Talk

Advanced search

Why, why why are all lunch bags for primary age children impossible to clean?

(30 Posts)
noid Fri 27-May-11 12:42:19

I have DS1 in reception, DS2 starting next year. They have to have packed lunches and all I can buy are these soft bags which can't be immersed in water, can't go in the washing machine and get manky crumbs trapped inside the cracks next to the seams.

I don't care that the fabric is antibacterial. I don't want my child to have to eat lunch out of something that smells and has bits of last weeks chocolate brownie and tuna sandwich fused inside it.

We have bought two of the bloody things this year and they both stink. In the olden days, we used to have these plastic boxes with plastic handles, with barbie or the thundercats on. They could be cleaned. All I can find in the shops and online is either the bags or a tin with a handle - which at least I can wash, but will no doubt go rusty round the edges after a while.

AIBU to think that what's on offer fails dismally to cater for the needs of young children?

mumster89 Fri 27-May-11 12:44:23

Have you tryed theplastic hard shell ones?

I think there dead easy to wipe, and even you can Dettox them.

HTH

MadreInglese Fri 27-May-11 12:45:14

get a plastic one

loads here

walesblackbird Fri 27-May-11 12:45:47

I ignore the instructions and put mine in the washing machine. Have done all my children's and they've all come out in one piece and clean! Stick them in with some towels. I've had no probs.

harassedinherpants Fri 27-May-11 12:46:27

Oh don't read the label.......just bung in machine on a cool wash.

That's what I do and dd has had the same one since September.

Soups Fri 27-May-11 12:47:42

I didn't realize you weren't supposed to immerse them in water ooops! I wash them in hot soapy water most days.

mummypud Fri 27-May-11 12:48:10

arghhh not just me then!!! iwhack a s pot of dettol around it , leave it fora bit and then warm water and a scourer sponge.

Punkatheart Fri 27-May-11 12:48:17

I have a friend who puts everything the washing machine and she has done the same. However, she refused to get her son's blazer drycleaned and put that in the washing machine, boasting that she saved lots of money that way. She was however a bit shock when it came out looking like a floor cloth.

Taffeta Fri 27-May-11 12:49:06

Hard plastic, Tupperware type. Mine have Sistema ones, with different compartments. Easy to wash or stick in dishwasher. Carry in a plastic bag, or inside book bag if you want a handle.

cyb Fri 27-May-11 12:49:13

the state that some of teh soft lunchboxes get into is vile. you may as well serve your kids lunch up in a toilet bowl

ggirl Fri 27-May-11 12:49:26

I give it a good scrub in the sink , dries overnight.

ChickensHaveNoEyebrows Fri 27-May-11 12:49:32

Lunch bags go in the washing machine here. Feck the instructions <lives on the edge>

SoupDragon Fri 27-May-11 12:50:30

Turn them indside out and give them a good scrub.

changeforthebetter Fri 27-May-11 12:51:18

I put DD's in the dishwasher every few weeks. In between times I just give it a good hot soapy wash and then squirt with antibac spray and air really well. It seems fine but YANBU it is a pain when bits of cheese get stuck in the folds.

TheVisitor Fri 27-May-11 12:52:15

Washing machine here too. grin

TobyLerone Fri 27-May-11 12:56:48

Yep, I put mine in the washing machine too. Not every day, maybe twice a week. The rest of the time I turn them inside-out and give them a good scrub with hot, soapy water.

I did put a brand new one in the washing machine once and it came out looking like a pack of wolves had been at it. It had to go straight in the bin.

TotemPole Fri 27-May-11 13:03:06

If you give them a proper wash regularly then it doesn't matter if the anti bacterial properties of the material wears out.

MadreInglese thanks for that link. We're going to buy a new one soon.

newpup Fri 27-May-11 13:04:42

I put DDs in the washing machine too. Every holiday and in between if needed.

SaltNSauce Fri 27-May-11 13:10:21

I wash DDs one in the washing machine. It does wear the material out eventually and over the years DD1 got through several but better than manky interior.
The problem I remember from the plastic ones is that they can come open unexpectedly and dump lunch on the pavement.

Ben10isthespawnofthedevil Fri 27-May-11 13:11:55

DS's soft lunchbag goes in the dishwasher and no problems here....

COCKadoodledooo Fri 27-May-11 13:12:19

Ds just uses tupperwares in a plastic bag. Probably the height of uncool, but it does the job.

nomedoit Fri 27-May-11 13:13:00

Another vote for the washing machine: have a soft Peppa Pig Box which comes out gleaming.

Furball Fri 27-May-11 13:14:11

I buy the ones that zip all the way round (like a mini suitcase)

and pop it on the top shelf of the dishwasher fully open when manky.

comes out like new

DorisIsAPinkDragon Fri 27-May-11 13:15:54

we used plastic box with a clippy lid that she can undo in a mountain warehouse childs rucksack.

Box goes in the dishwasher bag (rarely) needs a wipe down.

Job done

TheCrackFox Fri 27-May-11 13:16:41

Just chuck it in the washing machine - it will be fine.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: