Talk

Advanced search

TO SAY....There may be a move by Cameron to restrict sites like MUMSNET and twitter

(45 Posts)
ScousyFogarty Fri 27-May-11 11:11:38

I THINK IT WOULD BE A BAD IDEA....to restrict message sites like MUMSNET and Twitter

It is an idea which springs from all the fuss over rich people having super injunctions to silence the media. (Often overpaid Premier footballers)

There are EXCESSES on some message sites. But even some of the VERY RUDE stuff is very funny. (I could quote entries on Mumsnet which had me falling about)

So we dont want to kill off RUDE or SATIRICAL humour because rich people dont approve. (They should go home and count their money)

That said posters need need to have a care as to what is ok and what is not. Direct lies about named people is not ok

But that does NOT mean we kill off GOSSIP. (You prpbably cannot anyway)
The papers are full of it. And the BBC has Hyslop from PRIVATE EYE doing
the funny BBC 2TV News quiz.

Please just keep an eye on what Calm Down David Cameron is doing during the next few months, It matters.

GypsyMoth Fri 27-May-11 11:12:42

calm down Gabby!!

5318008 Fri 27-May-11 11:13:23

I am LOVING the random Capitalisation

Or are you CHANNELLING Caitlin Moran?

RainbowShite Fri 27-May-11 11:13:48

Wtf? We'll just go underground.

BornInAfrica Fri 27-May-11 11:14:25

It's Ian Hislop and you really really need to calm down dear

ScousyFogarty Fri 27-May-11 11:15:14

The trouble is Tilly and 531008....you may also be loving David cameron and the Tory government. Please come clean

CurrySpice Fri 27-May-11 11:15:44

Not even a meglomaniac like Cameron can ban the internet so I think he'll struggle tbh

ScousyFogarty Fri 27-May-11 11:17:08

Lets have the died in the wool Tories owning because there may be a serious battle over message sites and many other things. Please dont hide your Cameron support under a dodgy bushell.

LadyOfTheCuntryManor Fri 27-May-11 11:17:43

Get a fucking grip.

<3 LOTM 4 DC 4eva <3

CurrySpice Fri 27-May-11 11:17:56

meglomaniac megalomaniac

sausagesandmarmelade Fri 27-May-11 11:18:32

Hmmm tricky one.

Am all for freedom of speech....BUT outright malicious lies and abusive behaviour does nothing for the reputation of Mumsnet and other similar forums.

There needs to be more effective moderation...AND people should be held more accountable for what they say and do. It IS possible to ban IP addresses...and maybe this is something that Mumsnet and other forums should consider.

Moderation takes up time and resources...but is becoming an increasing necessity in order for these sites to prove that they have done all they can...and that they do not condone the above.

SarahBumBarer Fri 27-May-11 11:19:00

But Cameron has actually been pretty pro-freedom of speech and politely condem(geddit)natory of the injunctions.

I for one am sorry that this whole issue is being played out over something so trivial - there is nothing really worth Twitter fighting against. I wish it was something more serious like Trafigura or the rape/child protection case so that we could have a proper serious debate about use of these injunctions and the jurisdiction of the UK courts over sites like Twitter/Wikipedia etc.

CurrySpice Fri 27-May-11 11:19:14

I can assure you OP that I am a card carrying member of quite a different party from Cameron's and have been for 25 years. I am no Cam lover angry

JBellingham Fri 27-May-11 11:19:59

From where have you gleaned this information?

LadyOfTheCuntryManor Fri 27-May-11 11:20:13

I <3 Cammy

NetworkGuy Fri 27-May-11 11:23:08

Where have you come up with any idea of 'killing off Mumsnet' from ?

It's laughable that there could be any such suggestion.

Sorry, must be a wind-up.

I'm off to get a fresh cup of coffee and suggest you do too, OP.

pinkthechaffinch Fri 27-May-11 11:24:35

Love your ticker above

how on earth did you think of the heart thingys?

ScousyFogarty Fri 27-May-11 11:24:41

curryspice. I dont think a ban will be an option. But some restriction may be tried. And that would be rich considering what some sections of the press get up to

I mean to say very rude stuff is not everyones cup of tea; but I find a lot of it startlingly funny; though I seldom do heavy swearing. It can be funny on occasions That writing geezer Harold Pinter thought so.

I write here specifically of message sites like MUMSNET and twitter. I dont expect the tea time TV newsreader to be effing and blinding.

Talking of swearing Camerooney used to T-word once on radio. (I think TWIT would be a strong enough word to describe Frock coat Dave.

Haecceity Fri 27-May-11 11:25:55

Link please, to piece from cameron - quotes - where he says he will be restricting mumsnet and the like, and what is actually meant by 'restrict' and how it is proposed that this will be acheived.

Without that, it is impossible for people to comment, isn't it?

GypsyMoth Fri 27-May-11 11:26:05

'message site'

wtf is a 'message site'????

BornInAfrica Fri 27-May-11 11:26:22

Every time I think you can't possibly get any madder you do just that Gabby. Perhaps a nice long lie down in a darkened room?

Yukana Fri 27-May-11 11:26:42

To be honest I don't get the fascination with Twitter and wish it would just cease to exist.

As for mumsnet... Well, cup of tea, anyone?

ScousyFogarty Fri 27-May-11 11:28:23

NETWORKGUY No one is talking of "killing off" its more "restricting" the word is being used. If Cameron decided to go ahead. He would probably start by floating the idea on BBC Radio 5-Live.. A lot of govt ideas are floated their.

NetworkGuy Fri 27-May-11 11:28:41

SandM wrote "It IS possible to ban IP addresses"

but in truth there's no point. Relatively few current users would have a fixed IP address. In most situations, an ISP customer gets a new IP address each time they connect.

There are not enough IP addresses and as a result, it is common for ISPs to have a 'pool' of addresses and allocate one that isn't being used when you make a connection. If the 'banned' person disconnects, they can reconnect and odds are high the address will be different. Meanwhile, someone else who might get their 'old' address would be blocked from some site(s) without ever knowing why.

I have a 'fixed' IP address (so long as I stay with my ISP) but have a mobile dongle as well, so have a second method of connection, and each time that is set to connect, a fresh IP is used.

People out to 'cover their tracks' will do so, and a simple 'block this IP address' is not the answer, believe me, please.

NetworkGuy Fri 27-May-11 11:30:36

OK, so where is the idea of 'restricting' anything being rumoured, please ?

If it is in writing, please provide a link. If there's no link, then it's a non-story.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now