Talk

Advanced search

Taking fridge food: sensible or rude?

(46 Posts)
RevoltingPeasant Fri 27-May-11 09:04:36

We are going to DPILs' house this weekend and staying for a week with them and my DM (they live close together).

We get a veggie box every week mid-week. I cancelled it for next week when we will be away but not this week - so we now still have most of a box of veggies in the fridge which will be wilted and bad by the time we get back.

So I thought I'd pack them all into a coolbox and take them to DPILs': after all, they are fresh organic veg, seasonal, etc, and they will otherwise go to waste. It's kind of like a contribution to the food we will eat and also, why not?

But when I mentioned this to a colleague she pulled a face and said, 'So basically you're dumping your old leftovers on them? What, do you expect them to start cooking your stuff when you get there?'

She seemd to think I was really skanky to do this. I thought it was sensible confused. Who is right? Would you be offended if guests did this??

JuicyLips Fri 27-May-11 09:06:46

No i'd think it was fine, if it was visably rotten that would be a different matter, but fresh veg would be fine and a good idea. Imo.

Grumpla Fri 27-May-11 09:08:47

I'd be pleased.

mrspnut Fri 27-May-11 09:11:13

I always take the things that need eating from my fridge when we go to my MIL's or my parents.

As a family we tend to eat quite a lot of food and it can be expensive feeding all of us (as my weekly shopping bill shows) so it helps.
It also means we get to eat food that we like instead of the measly stuff my mIL buys.

beesimo Fri 27-May-11 09:13:28

I'd be vexed about it as when we have company we provide for them.

If you don't want to waste food give veg ect to neighbours

kreecherlivesupstairs Fri 27-May-11 09:15:02

Why would anyone consider that to be unreasonable. My parents drove to Belgium to visit us two weeks ago. We were the lucky recipients of carrots, parsnips, swede and spuds. Better to eat them than they go off.

FruStefanLindman Fri 27-May-11 09:16:09

Your colleague is a loon.

Presumably your DPILs know that you have an organic veggie box anyway, so why on earth would they be offended if you bring it with you. Although you could phone them and tell them what vegs you're bringing with you so they don't duplicate when they're shopping.

And, no, I wouldn't be offended if guests did this.

tyler80 Fri 27-May-11 09:16:50

I think it's perfectly normal, rational and sensible, even more so as it's family.

WincyEtNightie Fri 27-May-11 09:18:51

I wouldn't be offended at all. My Mum and I do this all the time. Half packets of cheese, fruit etc. Why wouldn't you?

Weta Fri 27-May-11 09:19:22

I'd definitely do it, and have many times before. And I'm always pleased to get food from people who come to visit - they don't need to bring food, but why would anyone be upset to receive some?! I would be far more upset to think someone had thrown good food away... what a waste that would be.

NormanTheForeman Fri 27-May-11 09:20:51

I am a complete and utter planner, so if anyone was visiting me, I would have stocked up thoroughly before they visited. If they then turned up with quite a lot of fresh stuff (which would need to be eaten fairly soon), I would be in a bit of a quandary, as I would then have too much fresh stuff, and I would either have to let some of the stuff I bought go off, or some of the stuff they brought with them go off.

However, if they let me know beforehand they were bringing veg etc, and let me know what it was, I would be absolutely delighted, and would then plan my own shopping accordingly.

RevoltingPeasant Fri 27-May-11 09:21:34

Thanks all smile It is a relief to know I am not violating some Secret Houseguest Etiquette!!

And no it isn't rotting or anything - it's fresh asparagus, bags of rocket and cress, a punnet of mushrooms etc - that was only delivered Weds pm.

RevoltingPeasant Fri 27-May-11 09:22:20

Good point Norman, will text DMIL!

beesimo Fri 27-May-11 09:23:03

NormanThe Foreman

As one 'control freak' to another I salute you!

Laquitar Fri 27-May-11 09:23:12

In my family (parents and IL's) it would be normal thing to do but i don't know your IL.

You could give them a ring and mention it?

Mind you you can keep them and freeze them.

bleedingstill Fri 27-May-11 09:23:23

Id also take some sweets and wine! just to balance things up smile

BelleEnd Fri 27-May-11 09:24:37

You can come and stay here if you want grin

FabbyChic Fri 27-May-11 09:24:38

Its a a great idea!

NormanTheForeman Fri 27-May-11 09:24:50

Sounds lovely, and I would not be offended at all for someone to bring those sort of items, so long as we didn't end up with too much that would go off.

One family who visited us once brought with them a lovely home-made chocolate cake - that went down very well!

niceday Fri 27-May-11 09:25:56

Perfectly sensible imo

RevoltingPeasant Fri 27-May-11 09:26:35

BelleEnd You know I would, just for the name grin

cwtch4967 Fri 27-May-11 09:26:38

I can't understand how anyone would think it odd. Standard practice in our family is to take it with you unless going to a hotel or abroad in which case things are passed on to friends or neighbours. I hate waste!

IgnoringTheChildren Fri 27-May-11 09:28:33

What's your relationship with your DPIL like? If you think they'd be offended then don't do it, but the fact you intended to do it before your colleague got all sniffy about it suggested you shouldn't makes me think it wouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't take the veg if staying with my DPIL for a couple of days as my MIL carefully plans out every meal we'll be having and buys everything she'll need for it, however I'd certainly do it if staying with them (or anyone) for the week - it's not like you're going to get all huffy if they don't use the veg! grin

ChairOfTheBored Fri 27-May-11 09:31:23

It is beyond me to wonder why someone would think this is odd or rude.

It's a contribution, and even if it doesn't get eater it's hardly a massive chore to bung it in soup if they fancy it next week?

That said I hate going anywhere empty handed, or wasting food and have been known to turn up with the random things from the veg patch that were ready for eating. Courgette and runner bean omelet anyone?!

IgnoringTheChildren Fri 27-May-11 09:31:49

x-posted with lots of people due to having to sort the baby out! RevoltingPeasant - your veg box sound just like the one I got on Wed! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now