To ask what your worst purchases have been

(396 Posts)
strandedbear Thu 26-May-11 22:26:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

springbokscantjump Thu 26-May-11 22:31:32

I bought two different types of baby powder before ds was born. Because one of them has lavender in it and said it helped your baby sleep. I actually said to my dh 'but what if we don't want him to fall asleep? I better get a non-sleepy baby powder too'. We laugh heartily at that comment now.

mistressploppy Thu 26-May-11 22:31:46

Gym membership

risingstar Thu 26-May-11 22:38:29

fiat multipla

private education for dd2- it was an expensive disaster

LadyOfTheCuntryManor Thu 26-May-11 22:39:52

Memory foam super king size mattress...and fucking bastarding memory foam pillows.

DH thinks it's the best thing in the world. I hate it. I sleep very well, but until I'm asleep I'm rather uncomfortable...and you can't jump on it without sinking. Crap.

LordOfTheFlies Thu 26-May-11 23:27:20

On my my previous cars- in its defence it never let me down until one day the passenger door was slightly ajar and the 2 interior lights drained the battery( old battery)
But it must've been painted with invisible paint,it was hit twice (once when parked) and the number of times I was cut up on roundabouts......
No point bibbing the horn,I could fart louder!

ZXEightyMum Thu 26-May-11 23:34:34

I really needed the muslin squares shock

Everything else I bought for DS was a waste of money apart from his little pod yoke which was the only thing he ever slept in apart from our bed. He's up there now at the age of four, the little git.

MassagesDeclinedByNetmums Thu 26-May-11 23:45:07

I have about 50 muslin squares (possibly exaggerating... grin ) and due to the 3 loads of washing a day I did when DS was born I only used about 5 as I just used the one in the pile of clean washing...

I bought a very fancy desk and cabinets for our "home office", then the PC broke and I bought a laptop that has lived in the living room since...

And the obvious ones:
Juicer, slow cooker, steamer, gym membership, exercise bike, trampoline, stepper, footspa, etc.... grin

Our current car ! Grrrr. Has been a license to print money for the local garagesad

lunar1 Thu 26-May-11 23:52:32

Almost everything i bought before DS was born! sterilizer and bottles were never even opened. will find a good home for everything once ds 2 id born and i dont use them for him either.

Sqee Fri 27-May-11 00:00:43

My halogen oven. I'm scared shitless of it! I keep thinking i'll give everyone food poisoning.

ZXEightyMum Fri 27-May-11 00:07:09

I had a steriliser and bottles and a pump and all sorts of faffy bags and shit for expressing. I didn't know that DS would refuse expressed milk, ALL formula and every single cup or bottle on the market for a year. But it gave me a hobby grin

The steriliser went to the local refuge and they were very grateful for it. You couldn't take big items with you if you had a tiny baby could you? sad

Udderly Fri 27-May-11 00:15:57

The nursery set of furniture - cot, baby has co-slep since about wk2, and has never slept a night in it, - chest of drawers/wardrobe, clothes are either on DD, in the wash or in the too small for pile. Rocking nursing chair and stool - never used. Travel system - country roads and appropriate wheels my arse, the one that was half the price would have been fine! Snowsuits - never fit properly. Swing chair, she never took to it and screamed when in it. Not mad about my pacapod changing bag either tho everyone else seems to love them.

cantspel Fri 27-May-11 00:22:03

A 2 week All inclusive holiday in Bulgaria. Bloody awful place and even in august the weather was crap.

CandyS Fri 27-May-11 00:31:54

Fresh broccoli. Every bloody time I get some it decides to go rank the second I put it in the fridge.

One of those wind up alarm clocks. Had no idea how loud their tick tock was. It's now just for show.

Popbiscuit Fri 27-May-11 00:45:48

Bulgaria, Cantspel? Not judging, just curious... do you have family there?

Mine is: anything from Ikea and baby exersaucers that my babies used for approx. 5 seconds each before they got bored or vomited on all the "diversions" which I then had to use a toothbrush to clean. Also, all the junk I bought with my first DC that was marketed to PFB new mothers; how gullible was I?

MrsSippy Fri 27-May-11 00:52:35

contact lenses - might just as well as chucked £200 in the bin rather than spend endless hours trying to poke the stupid bits of plastic in my eyes

cantspel Fri 27-May-11 00:56:01

No family reasons i just fancied a change from our usual holiday destinations. Big mistake as we all hated it.

Onceamai Fri 27-May-11 06:04:56

Rover 216i. Filofax (long time ago).

sunnydelight Fri 27-May-11 06:12:14

Breadmaker. It's so much more satisfying to thump the hell out of the dough by hand.

KenDoddsDadsDog Fri 27-May-11 06:15:19

A bumbo seat with playtray. Cak.

LtEveDallas Fri 27-May-11 06:33:02

A sooper-dooper all singing all dancing comfy bed for MuttDog. Cost around £50. She NEVER uses it. She sleeps on the sofa in the evening and our bed at night. Dog bed just sits in the corner looking smelly.

Playhouse for DD. DH built it himself, it's stunning, it cost a fortune. It's a very comfortable home for spiders in the winter and wasps in the summer. It's also going to cost a lot of time, effort and money to move it to the forever house next year. DH would be gutted if he knew how I felt about it.

JML mandolin thing. Used once about an hour after purchase. Sliced tops of my fingers off, bent the blade, blood all over the carrots and the worktops. Straight in the bin.

bonkers20 Fri 27-May-11 06:42:48

Sainsbury cheapo microwave and kettle. Just one up from the Basics range. The kettle stopped working within weeks and the microwave timer packed up within a year.

Teifoc for DSs 11th Birthday. He's played with it once.

Mothercare changing mats. They split. I got through 2 in a short space of time before going to John Lewis.

It's false economy to get some things cheaply.

poorbuthappy Fri 27-May-11 06:58:50

bastard zhu zhu pets.

happymole Fri 27-May-11 07:05:15

Confession time. During a particularly bad non spelling spell with LittleMole I decided the answer to all my problems was this

It was unspeakably shite I used it once and put it in a cupboard where continues to taunt me blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now