Talk

Advanced search

to raise Ed Milibands and Gabby Logans porta cabin education.Are they bragging or compliining?

(83 Posts)
ScousyFogarty Thu 26-May-11 21:09:55

It must be that I am older than Gabby and Ed. Porta cabins did not feature in my schooling. Was it about cabins being brought in as extra classroom. I dont think you could have a porta cabin school I dont think Gabby and Ed would get on. Did you have a porta cabin education?

AyeRobot Thu 26-May-11 21:12:15

Yes, some of my lessons were in portacabins. Actually, the bulk of them for my A level years. At a selective grammar school, no less. They had been there some time and are still there, 20 years on.

MmeBlueberry Thu 26-May-11 21:13:34

We had terrapins at my school 30 years ago.

We have them at the school I teach in, and the ones at my DS's school have only recently been replaced by a million pound development.

They are not pretty, but can be very practical.

Vallhala Thu 26-May-11 21:14:58

Yes, like AyeRobot, portacabins for 6th form use, as classrooms and commonroom. That was 30 years ago though.

said Thu 26-May-11 21:15:18

Yes, yes, yes we did. Bloody freezing as well - 70s/80s

suzikettles Thu 26-May-11 21:16:09

Yes. Lots of portacabins at both primary and secondary schools. I believe they were meant to be temporary but both sets had been around for many years.

NotaMopsa Thu 26-May-11 21:16:46

awful places - my first 3 kids did most of their primary education in them and dds grammar school still has them

MmeBlueberry Thu 26-May-11 21:18:05

I only ever have memories of our huts as being lovely and warm as they have all had their own heating system, rather than relying on the cranky old boiler in the main school.

ZXEightyMum Thu 26-May-11 21:18:41

We had terrapins too! I had some myself for a while. It was a bit of a fad and probably cruel but I didn't know that then.

I had to work in a "demountable" once. It was alternately freezing or boiling. Hated it.

meliesmummy Thu 26-May-11 21:21:10

We had portacabins for maths, RE and history until a new block got built when I was about half way through secondary school in the 90s. Anyone know why they're called terrapins? Because I always wondered!

AyeRobot Thu 26-May-11 21:21:22

Apologies for the pomposity of my post.

<hangs head>

Thinking back, I went to a private school in Ireland (no pomposity intended, it was cheap and only chosen for its non-denominational status) and the entire teaching part of the school was made up of portacabins. We had a lovely new gym, though. And that's certainly outed the school to anyone in the know.

meliesmummy Thu 26-May-11 21:26:13

aye I didn't think you came across as pompous smile

said Thu 26-May-11 21:26:18

God, I'm sure ours were referred to as "the huts" as well. <wave of nostalgia now>

MmeBlueberry Thu 26-May-11 21:31:09

Terrapin - I think this is the brand-name of the supplier.

I don't think it is particularly apt as it wouldn't take much of a wind to unpin them from the earth.

Georgimama Thu 26-May-11 21:32:20

I went to a girls' grammar school with extensive portakabinage (RE block, extra French/German and music classrooms and sixth form common room. For most of my 7 years at the school one of the RE/German classrooms was my form room). Last time I visited (about five years ago) they were still there. I missed this - what point was Milliband making about them?

BikeRunSki Thu 26-May-11 21:33:13

Ours were called "the huts" too. Wonder if said or MmeBlueberry went to the same school as me? Big London comp. Begins with P.

Choufleur Thu 26-May-11 21:33:26

I had portacabins at secondary school. Crapped cold and damp things. Ds is in a portacabin now for reception but it seems much better than those I was in 20 plus years ago.

meliesmummy Thu 26-May-11 21:33:27

Thanks mme grin.

listeningstick Thu 26-May-11 21:34:41

Judging by the language used by some of the posters on here I would be surprised if they had ANY education.

MarioandLuigi Thu 26-May-11 21:35:32

My secondary school was part army huts, part portacabins - bloody freezing in winter.

ZXEightyMum Thu 26-May-11 21:39:35

What do you mean, listeningstick?

I did know about the terrapins btw grin

said Thu 26-May-11 21:40:07

No BikeRunSki- but I'd say that answer anyway wink

SybilBeddows Thu 26-May-11 21:40:19

surely portacabins are far preferable to those awful PFI buildings they get nowadays with windows that won't open?

I had demountables at primary and secondary, both good schools.

ScousyFogarty Thu 26-May-11 21:40:35

Great set of posts. The cabins were obviously commonplace. Its all a learning curve for me. I wentto a village schgool where the head would clear off to the cinema wednesday afternoon and tell us about the film next day. It was all unofficial but nice. I am older than youlot; there were some brutal sec mods in my day. But no portas..aaaaah its almost poetry

TheOldestCat Thu 26-May-11 21:41:22

We had them at primary school in the 80s - they were called 'the aluminiums'.

DH claims the BBC got into trouble for using 'portacabin' rather than their generic name on Grange Hill. What could their generic name be, I wonder?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: