Talk

Advanced search

To think dance and in particular ballet is still elitest?

(90 Posts)
neverforgethowmuchiloveyou Wed 25-May-11 20:13:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FoofffyShmoofffer Wed 25-May-11 20:19:34

Do you have to buy specifically from them?
Both my DCs do Ballet/Tap/Modern/Show Work. We don't have to buy from them so can shop around for the same stuff at cheaper prices.

FoofffyShmoofffer Wed 25-May-11 20:22:02

Regarding it being elitist to be honest most of these kids activities are franchised and are therefore raking the money in. Baby Ballet, Baby gym, certain swimming schools all the same.

blushingm Wed 25-May-11 20:22:04

at my dd ballet class they wear what they want - it's just the shows they have to pay for the costume...............can you not find another class thats more relaxed???

or check to see if you can get them from another parent whose dc has outgrown them?

ebay?

MadamDeathstare Wed 25-May-11 20:22:36

LittleMissFlustered Wed 25-May-11 20:26:41

My daughter's old dance school had a uniform colour for the juniors, and one for the seniors. The only compulsory items were leotard, skirt and shoes. All could be ordered at cost from the wholesaler as the school didn't see the point in fleecing the parents. I kitted my daughter out for about thirty quid, and that included some 'extras' bought from the parents of older girls. It's worth looking about for a more sensible school, as dance is a fabulous way for kids to enjoy themselves, and burn off all the ruddy toast and grapes!

neverforgethowmuchiloveyou Wed 25-May-11 20:28:58

AgentZigzag Wed 25-May-11 20:29:44

MY DD has done dance classes since she was 4/5 YO and it is pretty expensive, but you could hardly class us in any kind of elite group hahahaha, laughing at the thought grin

We don't have to get everything on the list you have, but quite a few of the bits, but have never been given a list to get all at once, and she goes in her normal trakky clothes for a lesson which saves the good stuff for exams.

She loves dancing and always has, she's good at it and we scrape the cash together regardless of how much we've got.

She's got two exams coming up at £17 a pop, when I saw the letter I pulled a hmm face, but after 5/6 years we can hardly not find it now.

youngjoly Wed 25-May-11 20:29:44

My DD does ballet, and I think if it gets to dance festivals, then it gets expensive but every day ballet (that my daughter does) is actually quite affordable.

I have to say the brand new costs you have listed is not too bad, it is certainly cheaper than my dance school, (£28 for the dress for example). However, there are a number of points to make...

1. Most dance schools do not require you to buy all those things. For example, In my DDs school, if they are doing ballet, then all they actually need are the leotard and ballet shoes. The cardigan, track suit etc are all optional extras that you often don't need to buy.

2. There are cheaper alternatives. At my DDs dance school, there is a second hand forum where you can buy and sell things at a much reduced rate. Alternatively, if you do want things new, then you can get them off the internet which is a fair bit cheaper. Ballet shoes can be about £5 fro somewhere like dancedirect.

3. Yes, the uniform changes, but I've found my daughter usually goes up a grade about once a year (she did her primary ballet exam at 6, is now doing her standard 1 at 7 and so on), so by the time she needs a new uniform for the grade, she needs a new uniform because she has outgrown the old one!

4. If you're in the UK, shop around for dance schools, some cost a lot more than others - and its not always the case that the most expensive ones are the best! They can vary greatly. Some require you to buy unnecessary stuff, others don't.

5. My daughter does competitive gymnastics, and believe me that gets expensive too. Ballet is not the only expensive hobby - Ice skating, horse riding, gymnastics are all terribly expensive. For us, ballet is the cheaper of my DDs hobbies!

neverforgethowmuchiloveyou Wed 25-May-11 20:31:20

madwomanintheattic Wed 25-May-11 20:35:12

there's usually a strong second hand market - often dance schools have second hand shoe sales in september as everyone grows over the summer. grin

plenty of dance schools don't change colour by grade (is it rad that does?) and mine wear each others hand-me-downs (or friends)

dd2 has danced for 8 years and only owned a ballet cardigan once (about 5 years ago), and has never owned a ballet tracksuit.

i suspect your dance school may be elitist, rather than dance in general?

a lovely mner (thanks lovely dewe) sent me two pairs of second hand taps this week for dd2 - if you are looking for size 13 i can post them to you? (one pair fits, the other is looking for a good home!) pm if so.

given that you are using 'dc' rather than dd, i have assumed from your uniform list (skirt etc) that it is a dd you are kitting out. ds dances too, so just in case it's a generic list, i've also got (somewhere) a boy's leotard (about 5/6ish yo) and boy's jazz shoes etc going spare.

i would always buy new ballet shoes though. that part i don't save on.

FoofffyShmoofffer Wed 25-May-11 20:39:42

madwoman can I ask how much you paid for DS leotard? Is it a full body suit? We have been quoted £22 for ours which I thought was a bit high.

madwomanintheattic Wed 25-May-11 20:49:34

they are more expensive than the girl's ones. it's a white one with short sleeves, no legs. um, i think £22 sounds about right, probably... it was a couple of years ago. he wore it with black shorts (like cycling shorts but no padded bits lol, as tights were deemed not nec.)

no real second-hand market in boy's dance clothes, unfortunately. so few about. i have to specially order everything. <sigh>

his old dance school was quite good about it actually, they offered to buy stuff for him and then hand it on if they ever got any more boys after he grew out of it. we chose to just buy his stuff ourselves because we move a lot.

it came to light the other day foof. i can try and remember where, if it would be useful? (am moving house and can't quite remember where/ which box lol, but it has to be reasonably easy to find... surely?)

minipie Wed 25-May-11 20:51:29

I wouldn't call it elitist, I'd call it expensive. Lots of activities are expensive.

But I agree with shopping around to find a cheaper option.

neverforgethowmuchiloveyou Wed 25-May-11 20:54:51

madwomanintheattic Wed 25-May-11 20:56:20

no buying necessary - lovely dewe sent the taps free, so just passing the 'not needed' ones on to a good home. have replied. am checking for jazz shoes.

FoofffyShmoofffer Wed 25-May-11 20:59:09

Oh thanks Mad but it has to be black with arms and legs and he is 9 yrs but size of a 13 yr old so we are looking at BIG sizes.

At least I know it's a fairly average price. <hijack, sorry>

jennypenney Wed 25-May-11 21:02:43

I agree with what madwoman said about the school being a bit elitist rather than dance itself. I work in a theatre and we hire out our space to the local (independent, not franchised) dance school for all their weekly classes, and the kids turn up in everything from plain black leotards to t-shirts and tights but the best thing is that the really little tots who have insisted to mummy and daddy that their Disney princess dressing-up tutu is obviously the best outfit to do ballet in!

I would shop around for local dance schools, OP, because the kit list seems extortionate.

Dozer Wed 25-May-11 21:04:57

That is nuts, how ridiculous!

madwomanintheattic Wed 25-May-11 21:06:51

have pmed grin

neverforgethowmuchiloveyou Wed 25-May-11 21:07:53

jennypenney Wed 25-May-11 21:11:09

They're hilarious! (And totally cute). At the Christmas show last year, the tots all went out on stage and started dancing in that really sweet "I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to be doing but I'm trying really hard to do it" kind of way, all apart from one little girl who just stood there with her arms folded and said "I HATE dancing!" - which of course made everyone laugh and go AWWW.

BoattoBolivia Wed 25-May-11 21:12:10

That's one of the reasons why my dd goes here. no uniform, black leggings and a £5t shirt for shows and no exams. Really, really creative and very inclusive. Unfortunately only available in west London, but it might be worth seeing if there is anything similar available wherever you are.

MrsvWoolf Wed 25-May-11 21:18:52

madwomanintheattic Wed 25-May-11 21:19:43

we had one little girl this year who spent the entire time on stage trying really hard not to be there. she stood half sideways, gazing up and left at the ceiling whilst everyone else tapped furiously all around her. then (horror) they all moved to a different part of the stage, still tapping, and left her standing there on her own, arms folded, pretending to be invisible.

she realised she wasn't, and so sort of sidled over to where they were, and adopted the 'i am not here. not me. nope.' pose again. she wasn't caught out the next time they moved, though. quick as a flash to the new position and then gazed off in the other direction, studiously ignoring any actual dancing (or spectating) that was going on.

v cute.

it's quite fun to see them move through the classes and gain confidence.

they are always absolutely fine in class btw (just in case anyone goes 'blimey what a waste of money if all they do is stand there and hate it') just the first couple of intros to a stage and an audience can have odd effects!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: