Talk

Advanced search

Saw this headline, thought "It's GOT to be a Mumsnetter!"

(438 Posts)
bupcakesandcunting Tue 24-May-11 12:21:04

Yeah, yeah, it's a Daily Mail article but still [[http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1389593/Are-PC-parents-world-The-couple-raising-genderless-baby--protect-right-choice.html BWAH HA HA HA HA HA HA!" grin

They're coco loco, right? Surely no-one can say "fuck off, there's a dear" to THIS one?!

bupcakesandcunting Tue 24-May-11 12:21:57

And again blush

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1389593/Are-PC-parents-world-The-couple-raising-genderless-baby--protect-right-choice.html

TobyLerone Tue 24-May-11 12:23:14

See here for the possibility that I might say "fuck off, there's a dear", but in a much nicer way grin

manicbmc Tue 24-May-11 12:23:52

Mental. And how come they've assigned gender to the other kids?

bupcakesandcunting Tue 24-May-11 12:25:10

No idea, Manic. The whole article made my brain ache.

AnnieLobeseder Tue 24-May-11 12:25:58

While I wouldn't do it myself, I love the way they're raising their children without gender sterotypes. It's society that's screwed up, not these people. I doubt they'll be able to keep the secret long anyway.

scurryfunge Tue 24-May-11 12:26:27

Storm is a girl's name. it must be a girl grin

stillstanding Tue 24-May-11 12:26:28

Coco bloody loco! Interesting thought but VERY misguided.

manicbmc Tue 24-May-11 12:27:04

I hope all their kids grow up to be burly ice hockey players with no front teeth no matter what their gender.

bupcakesandcunting Tue 24-May-11 12:27:05

You don't have to raise your children to conform to gender stereotypes but raising them as totally genderless is completely different. And impractical.

TobyLerone Tue 24-May-11 12:27:26

Also, WTF @ this in the DM article?:

Traditional ideas of gender were tested in the media recently when two major U.S. book retailers censored an image of androgynous male model Andrej Pejic 'in case customers confuse him for a woman'.

I really don't get that. Why does it matter?

<My judgement on this may be clouded slightly by the fact that I think Andrej Pejic is a stone cold fox>

knittedbreast Tue 24-May-11 12:27:59

storm is a boys name from my experience!

bupcakesandcunting Tue 24-May-11 12:28:09

Look at Brad and Angelina's little Shiloh. She obviously prefers boys clothes/haircuts and they let her embrace it. I'm sure she knows she is a girl, though.

manicbmc Tue 24-May-11 12:29:04

There's a wealth of difference in letting kids just be themselves and potentially confusing the poor buggers though.

AnnieLobeseder Tue 24-May-11 12:29:20

But the child isn't genderless. At home they know what he/she is, the child knows, the siblings know. And they're all free to dress and behave as they choose. I love it!

bupcakesandcunting Tue 24-May-11 12:29:22

No, I didn't get the Andrej Pejic thing, either. A bloke dressed androgynously. Whoo-hoo. Boy George was doing it thirty years ago. Why would it wind anyone up?

Reality Tue 24-May-11 12:30:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TobyLerone Tue 24-May-11 12:31:15

But bupcakes, the child will know what sex it is when it's old enough to discover its genitals for itself. The other children in the family know they're boys.

These parents aren't trying to hide the sex of the child from the child itself. They are trying to avoid gender stereotypes being forced upon it from birth, to allow it to choose its own identity.

bupcakesandcunting Tue 24-May-11 12:31:24

They can behave and dress how they choose anyway, if they're so inclined. My DS loves pink and Hello Kitty. Fine by me. I don't like to pretend he is some genderless android though. And ultimately I don't see what they're going to achieve with it.

leonoravonwagner Tue 24-May-11 12:33:12

Completely agree, Reality.

Fruit loops.

YellowDinosaur Tue 24-May-11 12:35:02

I'm sorry but I think they are crazy.

It is one thing letting their sons wear what they want and choose when to cut their hair. So not reinforcing stereotypes. I could go along with this.

But in not saying what their childs gender is they are taking a step too far imho. They are just using their child to make a hugely publicised point which is, imho, totally and utterly wrong on all levels

ShirleyKnot Tue 24-May-11 12:35:30

Hmmmmm.

I'm not sure how I feel about this actually.

bupcakesandcunting Tue 24-May-11 12:35:50

"These parents aren't trying to hide the sex of the child from the child itself. They are trying to avoid gender stereotypes being forced upon it from birth, to allow it to choose its own identity."

Well I think it's mince. Utter mince. Who will force these gender stereotypes on the child? Are they scared that as soon as the world at large finds out Storm is a boy (he is a boy) that someone is going to come along and try and train him as a cage wrestler or something? I am genuinely perplexed. Why not buy him toys aimed at both genders, clothes in all colours and let him choose? Kids make up their own mind anyway.

TheOriginalFAB Tue 24-May-11 12:35:58

Other people have done this.

I don't think it is anything other than the parents using their child for an experiment.

ChristinedePizan Tue 24-May-11 12:38:15

It would be slightly better if the older child didn't have a gender identity. This is like 'we thought we'd give him one but thought we'd carry out a social experiment on you'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now