Talk

Advanced search

to feel upset that DD can't go on her pre-school summer outing?

(17 Posts)
manchestermummy Mon 23-May-11 09:37:24

Because siblings are not allowed and I have no-one to look after DD2. Parents are required to accompany their children otherwise they cannot go. I'm still on maternity leave at the moment, so I can easily do this, but I have no childcare for DD2, and even if I did, it's a big ask for someone to look after her all day.

I can't think it's anything to do with adult:child ratios if parents are coming too. I suspect it's probably something to do with transportation/carseats, which is fair enough. I'm just sad because I think she'd enjoy spending a day somewhere fun with her friends, especially as some of them are leaving for school/school nursery this summer.

Would I be considered really odd if I offered to drive my DDs myself and join up with the main party? Is this a nusery no-no?

stripeymama Mon 23-May-11 09:39:53

Offer to drive her yourself, definitely.

ChristinedePizan Mon 23-May-11 09:40:08

That seems a bit prescriptive and a silly rule given that there's got to be lots of parents in your situation.

I know at least 1/2 the kids in my DS's pre-school wouldn't be able to go if that was the case

FoofffyShmoofffer Mon 23-May-11 09:40:09

It depends on the individual nursery but I can't imagine it's a no-no.
How could they object to that? It sounds perfectly reasonable to me. I'd certainly ask.

MrsGravy Mon 23-May-11 09:40:09

Doesn't sound odd to me, I'd ask. Maybe you can't bring siblings because there isn't room? I brought my baby to DS's nursery day out but had to wait and make sure there was room on the bus first because obviously nursery children and their parents had to take priority.

I wouldn't worry too much though, I took DS to last year's day out when he was 3 and I have to say he didn't get a huge amount out of it. He also wouldn't have noticed if we'd have not gone.

scurryfunge Mon 23-May-11 09:40:47

I can't see a problem with doing that as you wouldn't expect them to supervise both children. Where are they going?

manchestermummy Mon 23-May-11 09:44:41

Blackpool smile.

I shall ask the question. I just thought it might be one of those things that would mark me out to be a lunatic mother! The trip isn't on a usual nursery day, so she won't know about it if she doens't end up going.

squeakytoy Mon 23-May-11 09:45:57

Is there not someone else who could accompany your daughter?

bubblecoral Mon 23-May-11 09:46:32

My nursery would allow both children to come, but we would not take of of the children in our own car because of insurance.

Is there going to be a coach provided then?

I'd speak to the nursery manager, you can't be the only person in this position, and even if you are this year, it must have occured in previous years.

manchestermummy Mon 23-May-11 09:52:57

squeaky my DH could, but he's saving leave for when DD2 starts nursery and gets ill all the time so we can share it!

bubble I think they are getting a coach.

UniS Mon 23-May-11 10:20:17

Kind of depends WHAT the trip is. If is a forest school type set up and parent and child are expected to be working together with tools then unfortunately siblings will not be able to go. Ifs it just to a theme park it seems a bit harsh.
Are any preschool staff going? Our preschool didn't send any staff on summer outing it was the annual deep clean day of all preschool stuff.The outing was a way of effectively shutting down for a day.

bubblecoral Mon 23-May-11 10:40:39

Maybe they just can't accomodate siblings on the coach because of numbers then. Definately talk to the staff ad clarify the situation, I can't imagine that any decent pre school would want to exclude your dd just because she has a younger sibling.

foreverondiet Mon 23-May-11 11:26:50

Fair enough to have a non siblings policy if the children don't need to be accompanied, eg I went with DD's nursery to the zoo and they needed 1:2 so they said no siblings but DD could have gone even if I couldn't go.

Also fair enough if there is no space on coach for siblings.

Speak to manager and explain you'll drive her yourself and look after her yourself.

Otherwise could you not find someone else in same position and one look after both babies and the other go on trip and look after both older kids?

Dancergirl Mon 23-May-11 11:32:14

Seems a bit OTT to me to make every parent go!

Why can't one parent supervise 2 children each? Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Then only half the parents need to attend and they can organise it amongst themselves who's going and who needs to look after siblings etc.

Seems a shame for her to miss out. Def ask if you can drive yourself and meet them all there.

25goingon95 Mon 23-May-11 12:10:11

When my DD was in nursery they went to blackpool zoo on a coach and some mums who had babies drove there and met the party at the zoo. It was no problem, there just wasn't room on the coach for the siblings.

manchestermummy Sun 29-May-11 21:42:53

Thought I'd update:

Well, I asked the question, and the answer was still no!! They changed the date of the trip (can't imagine how that went down with the parents who were going and who may have had to organise leave from work) but it's still no good. Apparently it's something to with paying when they get there, as even under fives (and babies!!!!) have to pay!

They've now changed it to a nursery day for DD1, and as all her friends are going, I'm going to keep her at home that day and we can go on our own little trip somwhere smile

mumnotmachine Sun 29-May-11 21:56:56

When my DD was in nursery and I had DS as a baby I took them both in the car when there was a school trip, it was no problem as I just met them there.
It was to do with baby seats in our case as the nursery kids were ok in seatbelts but babies couldnt travel on laps and there werent enough available seats

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now