Talk

Advanced search

to wonder about the Twilight obsession

(46 Posts)
crashingwaves Sat 21-May-11 09:44:22

I have read the books: not quite my cup of tea but I quite enjoyed the first one. But anyway - can someone explain to me what it is about Edward/Jacob that sends grown women into a flurry? Really don't understand it too well!

frownieface Sat 21-May-11 09:47:20

Nor do I but look at this!! www.getreading.co.uk/news/s/2077707_tats_the_way_to_show_youre_a_twilight_fan yum grin

crashingwaves Sat 21-May-11 09:53:11

LOL!

I mean, I sort of get it with teenagers - in "my day" it wasn't Jacob or Edward but Mark, Howard or Robbie - but, erm, I don't know what it is about the particular characters that have struck a chord with girls and women - I MUST be missing something!

stillfrazzled Sat 21-May-11 10:07:10

Read them all in a 'I've started and must now finish but getting steadily angrier' way.

Edward is a creepy controlling stalker. Not at all happy at message these books send out (author is pro-life Mormon who thinks you should Wait for your Wedding Night, IIRC, and doesn't it show).

See excellent quote from Stephen King which sums it all up for me: "Harry Potter is about confronting fears, finding inner strength and doing what is right in the face of adversity. Twilight is about how important it is to have a boyfriend."

cannydoit Sat 21-May-11 10:12:14

yeah i actually hate Edward and think the books lack any really decent plot, they have an ok built up to a pretty anti climatic end were not much really happens. but i think i can explain why people are so attracted to it. i watched the first film and was instantly struck by the lust and the angst and it made me flash back to my teenage years in a big way to the boy i just had to have or i was going to die. it was a nice little memory made me smile and feel young again.

AccioPinotGrigio Sat 21-May-11 10:13:08

Adults I know recommended this series to me. I read the first one and thought they must be reading a different book to me. I really don't understand the fixation but each to their own.

TattyDevine Sat 21-May-11 10:14:29

We have some friends with a teenage daughter and she actually had her friend take photos of her in our car on her phone because it was the same car as one of the characters drives apparently. Her room is a shrine! Bless.

I was the same with the New Kids on the Block blush

Bunbaker Sat 21-May-11 10:15:49

I haven't read the books, but have "endured" the films. They were so dull and the lack of plot made it difficult for me to stay awake. I don't find Robert Pattinson in the least bit attractive. But then I am old enough to be his mother!

Bunbaker Sat 21-May-11 10:16:41

I was a Donny Osmond/David Cassidy fan in my youth.

crashingwaves Sat 21-May-11 10:18:15

"it made me flash back to my teenage years in a big way to the boy i just had to have or i was going to die."

LOL I never felt like that, no wonder I don't get the books! grin

Agree with all other points! No plot, I-need-a-boyfriend and uggghh Edward is a controlling stalker!

Bucharest Sat 21-May-11 10:19:13

No idea. Like everyone else, I read the first couple, but got so angry with the poor writing and the fairly mediocre storyline that I never finished all of them. I think I "FFS'd" out loud when the big reveal that he was a vampire came:
"Er, I like you"
"I like you too"
"Thing is, I'm a vampire."
"That's OK".
I mean (actually, the above conversation is better written in my humble opinion) but wtf????

I'm also very annoyed that it's Robert Pattinson's fault that the new Dr Who looks like a cardboard cut-out from the back of a cereal box. He was clearly chosen for a slight resemblance to RP. (and he's crap)

It's OK for teenagers to like it. But when grown women get hysterical like that it's a bit worrying.

Bucharest Sat 21-May-11 10:20:40

PS. You will note that most Twilight fans also think (Prof) Brian Cox is some sort of god and should be made the world leader of everything.

These 2 facts may or may not be connected.....<taps nose knowingly>

bochead Sat 21-May-11 10:22:28

Actually I'll admit a secret love of twilight fan fiction - look up melwolfgirls stories on fanfiction.net to see what I mean.

No way would I let an impressionable teenage daughter of mine go anywhere near Twilight though! Oh and why did SM use sch nice names for some of her characters? My sis had adored Isabella for 30 years but couldn't use it when she had her first child cos of Twilight for fear of the now common/chav associations.

BertieBotts Sat 21-May-11 10:23:38

It's because they both use the exact same template that abusive men use to get you "hooked" at the start of a relationship. In fact, in the books both display abusive tendencies later on, but by then both Bella and the reader are already madly in love with them, so these go completely overlooked.

I find it extremely disturbing how popular they are.

crashingwaves Sat 21-May-11 10:24:26

I think Isabella is one of the most common names now - and my DS is an Edward!

Another (parenting) forum I use has so many grown women obsessed with it :-/

crashingwaves Sat 21-May-11 10:25:12

Bertie, that's really scary sad

BertieBotts Sat 21-May-11 10:25:30

Although Bucharest, I completely disagree about Dr Who, I think he's lovely grin

Ninxy Sat 21-May-11 10:26:50

Best Twilight review ever!

I am reading them alongside the books, which I am previewing for DD. It'll be a few years and a few serious chats before I let her at them I think.

BertieBotts Sat 21-May-11 10:28:19

Oh yes Ninxy I am a little bit in love with Mark too!

stillfrazzled Sat 21-May-11 10:37:23

I have just read one sample chapter of Mark's reviews (the letters to SM). grin grin grin I think I love him.

Ninxy Sat 21-May-11 10:44:56

Mark is fabulous. I especially like one review of Eclipse when he's talking about Jasper being brought up to protect women and saying that adults don't need protecting rather, misogynistic assholes shouldn't keep attacking them!

anonacfr Sat 21-May-11 10:46:32

Another classic review for the soon to be Breaking Dawn film. This made me cry a bit.

www.chud.com/21684/the-devins-advocate-why-breaking-dawn-must-be-made-into-a-movie/

ScousyFogarty Sat 21-May-11 10:51:53

I bought my wife TWILIGHT paperback thinking she would like itl She did not. But she likes Dr Who, Men in Black and other such things.
I suppose Twilight has grabbed a young audience

Pictish Sat 21-May-11 10:56:15

Yanbu!

I am slightly hmm about any adult who gets their knickers in a knot over Twilight or indeed any of these childish been-done-a-million-times-before vampire/ghost/supernatural type of things.

I like a good fantasy tale as much as the next person, but honestly people, get real....getting hyperactive over a teen fad makes you seem a little easily pleased.

BertieBotts Sat 21-May-11 10:58:12

I love this one where he dissects some mad woman's video on youtube about "How guys can learn to be like Edward Cullen" grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now