Talk

Advanced search

'she's the hands, feet, air' WHAT THE FUCK?

(84 Posts)
Reality Thu 28-Apr-11 13:01:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hairylights Thu 28-Apr-11 13:03:27

Thought I was on FB then for a minute and wanted to press 'like' grin

When I start posting YANBU on FB I know I'm in trouble.

AgentZigzag Thu 28-Apr-11 13:04:52

I know the one you're talking about, it's for a car isn't it?

I think it came out near mothers day to make people feel guilty for taking mums for granted.

Not the worst shit I've seen on the box, and kind of true.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 28-Apr-11 13:05:43

oh. I really like that advert. It makes me all emotional and everything blush

Its for Procter and Gamble btw

fluffygal Thu 28-Apr-11 13:05:44

I got quite emotional watching that advert. I think it recognised the thankless job being a mum is.

I'm also not sure what it was advertising, think it was for lots of brands.

SybilBeddows Thu 28-Apr-11 13:06:42

yeah Reality.

fuck the fuck off, Proctor and Gamble. I'm not the fucking air, I'm a HUMAN BEING.

QueenofDreams Thu 28-Apr-11 13:06:48

oh this one pisses me off too. And it ends with 'proud sponsors of mums' well they sure as fuck aren't 'sponsoring' me because I'm fucking skint! Where's my share gone to?

DP reckon this line means that the sell things to mums. He's probably right

BulletWithAName Thu 28-Apr-11 13:07:29

Hahaha, YADNBU! I can't relate to that as I'm always centre stage in any pictures that are taken wink

scoobydoobydoobydoobydoo Thu 28-Apr-11 13:07:29

Acutally, I believe it's for Proctor and Gamble. They who make "beauty and grooming and household care products".

ProfYaffle Thu 28-Apr-11 13:07:30

Oh, I hate that ad, I bawled "I am not peripheral!" the first time I saw it

<joins in the rage>

SybilBeddows Thu 28-Apr-11 13:09:17

it makes me want to set fire to something. Do nappies burn do you think?

WhiteBumOfTheMountain Thu 28-Apr-11 13:10:57

Thank you Reality...it's the most patronising shite filled ad I have EVER seen.

Are we meant to go "Oooh...someone has recognised our tireless martydom...I must whizz out and buy their product!"

I am not invisible...my head is NEVER cut out of pics....I am often right in the front!

fluffy It's not thankless...I get thanked often and my DC also thank their Dad. We all thank each other and we are all equal.

TheCrackFox Thu 28-Apr-11 13:11:02

They can go and fuck themselves.

DH has recently started saying I should only watch the BBC as I seem to be shouting at the TV a lot when the adverts are on.

If Proctor and Gamble are "Proud sponsers of mums" then where the hell is my cheque?

hairylights Thu 28-Apr-11 13:11:29

the other one I hate is where it's all romantic and 'family' oreientated and it turns out to be an ad for a cheap (if tasty treat type food) lot of fatty chicken which is mass produced.

Along the same lines as the Bisto one where they all promise to eat bisto gravy because it means they are a family

boak

BanalChelping Thu 28-Apr-11 13:12:16

You're great, Mum, sorry we've been taking you for granted. Now put the washing on, there's a love.

BeakerTheMuppetMuppet Thu 28-Apr-11 13:15:00

Reality

it got the same reaction chez Muppet too angry

like we float about in the background like some fucking housework fairy hmm

It's also saying women are synonymous with tampons, washing up liquid and nappies, even the male Muppets were revolted by it

<proud>

SybilBeddows Thu 28-Apr-11 13:16:30

it's interesting though, we've just been doing Kate Millett's 'Sexual Politics' for the Feminist Book Club and this is really similar to the Victorian angel-of-the-house propaganda she writes about. It's so unbelievably backlash.

SybilBeddows Thu 28-Apr-11 13:16:52

rofl Banal

QuelleLeJeff Thu 28-Apr-11 13:17:55

The one with the woman with a balloon for a head is me

corlan Thu 28-Apr-11 13:18:29

That ad made me cry because I'm not even the hands or the feet. I'm never in the bloomin' photos because I've raised my kids alone and I'm the person that's always taking the photo.

Where does that fit in to your scheme of motherly self-denial Mr advertising man?

Reality Thu 28-Apr-11 13:21:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SybilBeddows Thu 28-Apr-11 13:23:44

someone tell me what brands I have to not buy.

I already don't buy tampons as I have a Mooncup so sucks to you Mr Smarmy P&G Man.

Chil1234 Thu 28-Apr-11 13:25:47

I blame Dove. They started it all with their love of 'real women' and did quite a good job to be fair. Now every ad agency gets the brief 'we want to be like Dove and appeal to the real woman'... and they end up resorting to stereotypes.

BTW... I am not feet, hands or head... I am the clever one taking the photos! smile

Childishoos Thu 28-Apr-11 13:25:52

Its as bad as the chuffing M&S ad with the rapidly ageing woman seen doing all sorts of banal domestic tasks to cheesy music.

I fix our car, do 90% of the diy. I can rewire a house and fit a kitchen. I can build a boat.
I am not a fucking floaty concept stuck in the background being some sort of romantiscised lynch-pin. I am a person in my own right.
having children did not make me invisible.

Insomnia11 Thu 28-Apr-11 13:26:52

I don't know about being invisible or in the background but I certainly feel like the backbone, lynchpin or anchor of the family.

I haven't seen the ad but perhaps it was saying you can often feel invisible or taken for granted, (or have treated your own mum this way - I know I have) not that you ought to be invisible or a martyr or an angel.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: