Talk

Advanced search

To be shocked at the shite served as food in Disney???

(141 Posts)
MadameCastafiore Tue 19-Apr-11 16:21:56

DH and I were shocked - you couldn't get anything remotely healthy (that went for most of the restaurants too) no wonder the US has such an obestiy problem if even huge commercial ventures serve bloody burgers, fries, fried chicken, chicken ceaser (sad soggy lettuce drowned in full fat dressing), pizza and hot dogs, pop corn and corn dogs.

I have come back about 7lbs heavier and with a face full of spots and I triend to steer clear of the crap as much as I could.

I got excited about having steamed broccoli when I saw it on a menu to find that it had been steamed and then flash fried with some ultra salty dressing - incredible!

whatsallthehullaballoo Tue 19-Apr-11 16:27:58

It is a holiday - relax! You are supposed to come back 7lbs heavier. Two weeks and you will be back to yourself. smile

Insomnia11 Tue 19-Apr-11 16:28:58

YANBU, but I don't think I have ever been to a theme park where healthy or even very good food is available - anywhere. Healthy food ^should^ be available everywhere though - fast food needn't be junk food, which is why I say YANBU.

Chil1234 Tue 19-Apr-11 16:29:24

YABU to be shocked that such an all-American institution is devoted to maintaining the all-American physique!

MadameCastafiore Tue 19-Apr-11 16:30:01

Will be bloody quicker than that - ran with DH in 80 degree heat for the second week - didn't get very far but sweated like a pig! It isn;t so much the weight either the way you feel after a week of not being able to eat normal healthy food is sooo crappy!

Just am shocked that with the problem there is and the money it must cost all those people that no one sees it as a national problem - should have a fried food bloody tax.

Get0rfMoiLand Tue 19-Apr-11 16:32:23

No, YANBU. I have never been to american disney, but I have been to the hellhole that is disneyland Paris, and it was awful. I thought naively that, being France, you could get some decent grub. But no - deep fried cack.

Tee2072 Tue 19-Apr-11 16:33:55

Yes, yes, all Americans are huge cows who eat nothing but fried junk food 100% of the time.

Why is American bashing OK on MN?!?!?!?!?

Insomnia11 Tue 19-Apr-11 16:34:35

I often come back from holidays lighter because of all the swimming and other exercise I get instead of sitting at a desk. I don't mind for day at a theme park but only being able to get junk food for a whole week or so would really bother me as it would make me feel grumpy, constipated, bloated and generally like shit. I go on holiday to eat nice, different food not junk food.

MadameCastafiore Tue 19-Apr-11 16:36:10

I am not american bashing at all - I am saying that I am shocked that a huge corperatio like Disney thnks it is ok to serve such shite i a land where obesity is a huge huge issue.

And bloody Universal - food was slightly better but you couldn't bring any of your own food in.

MadameCastafiore Tue 19-Apr-11 16:37:01

We had a whole bloody week at theme parks at the start of our holidays never ever again!

brimfull Tue 19-Apr-11 16:39:05

agree the food at disney is shite
it is easy in north america to get lovely healthy food elsewhere though aand I assume disney have figured that it is the most economical food to sell to please the most people

we felt it detracted from the disney experience but the kids were happy

I'm wondering what hotels you ate at ??!!

We found our hotel served the best food the one time we ate there, pasta with tomato sauce, loads of salads, fresh meats, baked potatos etc

We found the food on the menus fine if you picked well. Of course they sold a lot of shite, but they had healthier options too if you bothered to look

QuickLookBusy Tue 19-Apr-11 16:42:29

We had the same problem but Disneyland Paris.

We presumed, because it was in France, there might me some nice food. How bloody niave were we. My kids lived off bread rolls for 4 days, which we had pinched aquired from breakfast.

My DD recentlywent on a school trip to New York. I popped into the local supermarket after I'd collected . I thought she'd want bagels, donnuts, hamburgers etc. All she wanted was fruit. She ate a punet of raspberries and half a bunch of grapes before we got home. She loved the trip but thought the food was shite awful.

MadameCastafiore Tue 19-Apr-11 16:44:07

We were staying at one of the disney hotels and did have steak and asparagus a couple of nights - well I did can't say the same for DH and the DCS - the salad was awful though and I asked for a jacket potato one night and it came covered in brown sugar and butter - weird beyond belief!

MadameCastafiore Tue 19-Apr-11 16:45:12

I agree quicklook - went to visit DHs sister in New York a while ago and felt like all the nutrients had slipped out of my body - was awful - just felt sluggish and sickly after eating out every night.

expatinscotland Tue 19-Apr-11 16:47:48

Hope you don't ever make it to this part of Scotland . . . hmm

QuickLookBusy Tue 19-Apr-11 16:49:21

I know, it's funny how your body really craves fruit and veg after a couple of days without. And don't get me started on the constipation it can causegrin

expatinscotland Tue 19-Apr-11 16:49:34

Happens all the time, Tee.

NettoSuperstar Tue 19-Apr-11 16:50:09

Don't most theme parks serve junk?

MadameCastafiore Tue 19-Apr-11 16:50:10

Had suppositories with me for that very reason - can take at least a week for me to go when we go away and wasn;t being caught out this time!

HeidiKat Tue 19-Apr-11 16:50:32

I found the food in disney pretty repetitive, I was so happy to go to the rainforest cafe and get a plate of pasta instead of endless burgers etc, but then again theme parks in this country are the same so I suppose that's what you should expect if you go there.

expatinscotland Tue 19-Apr-11 16:51:39

If you couldn't find good food in NYC you were hanging out in the wrong place, too.

QuickLookBusy Tue 19-Apr-11 16:51:40

Expat, I lived in scotland as a teenager. I knew people who had never let a piece of fruit or veg pass their lips, and they were pretty proud of it.

Disclaimer: not everyone was like that!

gillybean2 Tue 19-Apr-11 16:53:02

We've been to disney california a few times and they do have fresh fruit stalls in the park. So you can get a slice of watermelon, or pineapple, grapes, a huge apple etc. It is overpriced though, but then what isn't in the parks!? I would assume that florida would have the same but you have to look for them between the icecream and candyfloss stalls.

We always stay at a hotel which has a fridge & microwave so I can do bowls of cereal and our own baked potatoes.
Ds loves pancakes so we can go to the Denny's next door to get those for him (without maple syrup). And about the only thing he'll eat in the park is a slice of pizza, but I do have to cut that into 3 for him as it's so huge.

Guess the alternative is to go completely self catering.

MummyDoIt Tue 19-Apr-11 16:54:19

It's not much better in this country, to be honest. Have you been to Legoland? The food there is awful. You can take your own picnic but it's really difficult carrying it round and a problem knowing what to do with it when you're on the rides.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now