Talk

Advanced search

To Ask Mumnetters for your help and advice please.

(93 Posts)
HowToStopThisHappeningAgain Wed 13-Apr-11 23:27:46

I am a reg who has namechanged for this as it is embarrassing for me.

Every month for a couple of days prior to my period I am a total nightmare.

I am tetchy and argumentative, tbh I would not want to be near me.

Today DP and I had a row over nothing tbh but i kept on until it turned into a full scale war ending in me slapping him round the face. I am not proud of this and DP was deeply hurt because neither of us are like this. He walked away to our room but I wouldn't leave it, I kept going back at him shouting and being abusive - verbally. He walked out the bedroom and went in the living room.

I then broke down in tears and went to bed where I spent an hour crying before I fell asleep.

DP and I are ok now

How or what can I do to stop my mood swings at this time of the month?

belledechocchipcookie Wed 13-Apr-11 23:28:45

Go and see your GP, it's this easy.

I'm sorry that you're all suffering. Your GP can really help though.

Dilligaf81 Wed 13-Apr-11 23:29:32

Have you been to the Dr's ? Me BIL X was like this (alhought a nightmare most of the time). I know she got better after taking something (think it was the pill).

EggyFucker Wed 13-Apr-11 23:30:55

See your doctor

Your behaviour is totally out of line

Get some help for it

Chocolocolate Wed 13-Apr-11 23:32:03

So sorry to hear you're having a hard time.

I can only suggest that you visit your GP.

HowToStopThisHappeningAgain Wed 13-Apr-11 23:32:05

i know it is thats why i asked for advice

ConnorTraceptive Wed 13-Apr-11 23:32:15

You really need to see your GP pronto!

poochela Wed 13-Apr-11 23:33:31

Keep an accurate record of when you are at your worst/best. Speak to your doctor. Keep line of communication open with your DH and show him you love him and are willing to get help with it.

Good luck, it's not an easy thing to admit and be so brave about. Let us know how you get on.

HowToStopThisHappeningAgain Wed 13-Apr-11 23:43:22

I don't feel brave, I have never been like this until the last 6m or so. I used to be moody but this is awful for DP and I.

I am like a well I don't know, I go from crying to angry in a flash sad then crying again.

igetmorelovefromthecat Wed 13-Apr-11 23:48:23

I know a lot of people think that homoepathy is up there with Peter Pan and the Tooth Fairy, but I used to study it and there is a remedy which is amazingly effective for PMT, called Sepia.

I would get it in the 200c potency and let one tablet dissolve in your mouth at the very first signs of PMT. That should last you for that period, but repeat if necessary. Next month if you get symptoms again then do the same, though some people find one remedy lasts a few months.

I have used it myself with brilliant results and some of my most PMT mental friends have used it and it has worked a treat.

You can buy the remedy on ebay for less than a fiver, it is well worth a try (search sepia 200c).

HowToStopThisHappeningAgain Wed 13-Apr-11 23:51:32

Iget, thankyou I will look for it now.

I can't go on like this nor can I begin to understand it or how DP feels. sad

igetmorelovefromthecat Wed 13-Apr-11 23:54:11

Give it a go...you will know that first month whether it works for you or not, so well worth trying before you go to the GP.

HowToStopThisHappeningAgain Wed 13-Apr-11 23:54:48

I have just ordered some thankyou!

EggyFucker Wed 13-Apr-11 23:55:58

I am sorry to stick the boot in, love

But I know how your DP feels

he is living with domestic violence

make that appt with your GP first thing tomorrow, don't wait for homeopathic remedies which may or may not help

igetmorelovefromthecat Wed 13-Apr-11 23:57:00

Good luck...feel free to PM me if you need any advice about using the remedy, I do know a fair bit about homoepathy.

igetmorelovefromthecat Wed 13-Apr-11 23:58:13

What's the GP going to do, wave a magic wand?

Or prescribe a course of long term medication which will inevitably have side effects and equally may or may not help?

scottishmummy Wed 13-Apr-11 23:59:40

go see gp.your behaviour is domestic violence and unacceptable
fortunately you can see gp and discuss this
you are v lucky your dp is so tolerant,but if you have an ongoing issue you need to address it and pronto

if a man posted he had just slapped gf in a rage the indignant wrath of mn would (rightly) be straight upon you

sort it out

HowToStopThisHappeningAgain Thu 14-Apr-11 00:00:31

Eggy, it is the only time I have ever slapped him and I am not proud of it, we have had a long talk I have apologised and he is fine. He has said he was more shocked than anything as he knows it is out of carachter for me.

igetmorelovefromthecat Thu 14-Apr-11 00:01:00

But what is everyone expecting the GP to say?

HowToStopThisHappeningAgain Thu 14-Apr-11 00:03:16

It is only an ongoing issue in as much as normally I am very tearful and tetchy as well as lathargic (sp) I am not a violent person as a rule and this was so out of the norm for me.,

EggyFucker Thu 14-Apr-11 00:03:54

The GP will prescribe proper medication that will control the mood swings ..see here

Hormonal meds and SSRI's can be effective in controlling the psychological effects of PMS

I think the side effect of not getting medical help may be the breakdown of OP's relationship

I certainly would not stick around with someone who physically assaulted me on a regular basis and didn't try to solve the problem

and no, before you ask, I don't have much time for homeopathy

SkinittingFluffyBunnyBonnets Thu 14-Apr-11 00:04:56

OP I am sorry you are suffering...I am too...I know how bad it is, I get one good week a month and then I am a swollen, angry nutcase again.

I am going to get Sepia as advised by Igetmorelovefromthecat

The GP may prescribe something Igetmorelove...the Pill or some rubbish...which is why I dont want to go....sorry for hijack OP....I wonder why you havenybeen to the GP already? I wont because I have no faith in medication really...I hear they give the Pill for this kind of thing and I am too old (38) for that...and it makes me bad. Always has done.

HowToStopThisHappeningAgain Thu 14-Apr-11 00:05:09

Eggy, I don't assault him on a regular basis, I have slapped him once and that was today. Never before have I

igetmorelovefromthecat Thu 14-Apr-11 00:07:10

I once got so wound up with DP that I whacked him with the TV remote (he was being an arsehole).

Maybe I should go and see my GP.

By the way I am not belittling domestic violence but the OP has slapped her DP ONCE, and immediately recognised that it was very wrong and it should not happen again. I don't think this is a man who is going to end up in a men's shelter anytime soon.

EggyFucker Thu 14-Apr-11 00:07:19

if your mood swings are escalating then you may do it again

verbal aggression is just as bad

not a good sight for your dc's to be witnessing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now