Talk

Advanced search

Singing to Babies

(45 Posts)
MrsBananaGrabber Thu 07-Apr-11 00:08:29

DD (4 months) was grumping ( we call her the ginger grumper, i'm sure she will love it when she gets older) so I broke out in song to sooth her, nothing wrong so far but the first song that came into my head was Russ Abott's 'I Love a Party With a Happy Atmosphere' a song that I haven't heard for years and quite frankly should never have been sung after 1986.

AIBU to sing Russ Abbot to a 4 month old baby? shock

worraliberty Thu 07-Apr-11 00:11:42

YABU it should never have been sung before or even during 1986 shock

Your poor child will probably grow her hair Russ Abbot stylee now...complete with a little tartan cap in protest.

MrsBananaGrabber Thu 07-Apr-11 00:14:16

I didn't think of that and with her bright red hair, she's doomed.

magickcat Thu 07-Apr-11 00:20:48

Now I've got that it my head too. Just before bed as well. Mean, just mean. grin

CarnivalBizarre Thu 07-Apr-11 00:27:41

You should sing 'we're having a gang bang,we're having a ball' a la Black Lace...she won't have a fricking clue what you are singing but it might be fun for you and your DH

OH! That song is probably from the same era as Russ Abbot!!

Skinit Thu 07-Apr-11 00:37:55

YANBU. I sing show tunes to mine....from A Chrous Line and Caberet...some of them are dark but they love them. I might give Russ a shot tomorrow though!

DeSelby Thu 07-Apr-11 02:14:03

One of my baby's favourites is Hands Up with accompanying actions which I think I last sang in primary school!

You may be slightly unreasonable for inflicting Russ Abbott on your baby though!

Geocentric Thu 07-Apr-11 02:22:18

DH used to put DC1 to sleep when he had colic by singing heavy metal. Although I suspect it was all the jumping and headbanging to the music that actually did the trick. grin

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Thu 07-Apr-11 02:27:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 07-Apr-11 02:43:33

Salt and Pepper here. And "who's a wiggle baby?" sung to the tune of Beyonce's All the Single Ladies. DD is doomed is't she?

It goes...

who's a wiggle baby
who's a wiggle baby
who's a wiggle baby
who's a wiggle baby
put your legs up if you're a wiggle baby
put your legs up if you're a wiggle baby
if you liked it then you would have put some cream on it
if you liked it then you would have put some cream on it

Feel free to copy.

Kirisox Thu 07-Apr-11 06:07:19

Ha ha! My DS will definitely be hearing the wiggle baby song today!

PickleSarnie Thu 07-Apr-11 06:36:15

I found myself singing Rihannas S&M to my 6 month old the other day. Fairly certain singing about how whips and chains excite me isn't appropriate. But I'm also fairly certain he has absolutely no clue what am saying so it's therefore fine.

forwantofabetter1 Thu 07-Apr-11 07:18:07

@ PickleSarnie

.....AIBU to be worried that I found a reciept for bondagerus.co.uk in my 15 year olds bedroom...

lol!

forwantofabetter1 Thu 07-Apr-11 07:19:05

Bahh! that previous post missed out where I had typed
Fast forward to AIBU 15 years into the future!!

Dred Thu 07-Apr-11 07:32:41

I like singing 'hello baby, little baby' to the 'i am calling from granada' tune grin. I do like the wiggle baby ^ grin

Tee2072 Thu 07-Apr-11 07:42:19

At least you got to 3, Annie! I was singing my son to sleep, which I have done every night since he was born, about 5 months ago when he placed his hand over my mouth.

He was about 17 months at the time. hmm shock grin

hazchem Thu 07-Apr-11 08:40:23

can't belive DS is alseep cause i just want to sing wiggle baby to him right now

Kirisox Thu 07-Apr-11 09:43:31

I just sang wiggle baby but changed it to suit the circumstances - all the stinky babies!

MrsBananaGrabber Thu 07-Apr-11 14:49:28

Beyonce is all well and good, at least it's modern but Russ Abott, that song musy have been in the back of my mind for the last 20 years.

She does love a good rendition of Tim Minchin's prejudice, 'only a ginger can call another ginger ginger', I think she is going to grow up with issues wink

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Thu 07-Apr-11 17:51:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Shoutymomma Wed 07-Sep-11 20:28:26

MrsBG, what about Tim Minchin's Lullaby?

http://youtu.be/ESFANzZTdYM

JugsMcGee Wed 07-Sep-11 20:31:10

YANBU, I sing Phil Collins to my 6.5 month old DS blush He tries to grab my lips and teeth. Is he a child prodigy and trying to shut me up already? grin

BoastingByStealth Wed 07-Sep-11 20:32:21

I think my OH knows you in RL, he came home from work singing that song!

GetAwayFromHerYouBitch Wed 07-Sep-11 20:36:03

DS1 used to be partial to a jaunty show tune

All I want is a Room Somewhere, done in a bouncy way was a favourite

Pseudo341 Wed 07-Sep-11 21:42:30

Since having DD the only two songs I can remember all the words to when I need to come up with something to stop her crying are There Is A Tavern In The Town: about a woman who kills herself becuse her boyfriend's gone off with someone else, and Oh My Darling Clementine: about a woman who falls into a river and drowns. I need to come up with something better before she actually starts to understand the lyrics. I might start learning some Russ Abott tracks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now