Talk

Advanced search

To think that children should not be allowed in Ann Summers shops?

(144 Posts)
JM31 Sat 19-Mar-11 17:49:10

I was in the East Kilbride Ann Summers shop today and there were two children in there with their parents - ages between 12 and 14 I reckon. I had no idea kids were allowed in. I asked the shop assistant and she said they were allowed but only in the front part of the shop. As she was telling me this we could both clearly see the kids standing in the back of the shop, right next to the vibrators and fetish gear.
As for the front of the shop - it had a manniquin wearing a PVC rubber bra and pants, and the peephole bras and crotchless pants were the featured display right next to the door.
Ann Summers thinks it is ok for kids to see this, what do you think?

Goblinchild Sat 19-Mar-11 17:51:30

I think it's a parental choice.

Melly19MummyToBe Sat 19-Mar-11 17:51:43

In our local Ann Summers they always (not that I always go in, of course blush) have an assistant stood at the entrance of the vibrators bit who stops people taking children any furthur.

Aslong as they do that I think it's fine, it's only underwear afterall!

Hulababy Sat 19-Mar-11 17:52:22

I am more worried about the type of parents who would chose to take their children in there TBH, than the shops ethics. I would put the blame entirely on the parents in this situation.

pink4ever Sat 19-Mar-11 17:53:18

Yes YABU imo.I have frequented that partiucular branch many timeswink. Yes I have taken my dcs in(well the younger ones) as they are of an age that couldnt possibly understand what any of the stuff is. Plus the shop is partioned in such a way that you can look at the more innocent stuff(bras and knicks etc) without going near the fetish gear.

valiumredhead Sat 19-Mar-11 17:53:46

'Only underwear?' melly? Have you actually been in an AS shop before? grin

Melly19MummyToBe Sat 19-Mar-11 17:53:52

Although saying that, I wouldn't take my child in there when she's born. I'm not saying I don't agree with it or anything, but it is a parental choice, and if people choose to take their kids in then thats upto them!

HecateTheCrone Sat 19-Mar-11 17:54:21

I think that it is odd you expect ann summers to take care of this yet have nothing to say about the parents who choose to take their children into a sex shop. that's what I think.

moondog Sat 19-Mar-11 17:55:12

God, how toe curlingly naff and disturbing actually to take your kids into such a place.

Melly19MummyToBe Sat 19-Mar-11 17:55:13

Ahaha ummmm noooooo I've never been in one before [shifty look] blush

robotlollypopman Sat 19-Mar-11 17:56:30

It's a high street store. Also, a lot of children are born BECAUSE of Ann Summers. smile

valiumredhead Sat 19-Mar-11 17:58:13

Melly there is quite a lot of errrrrrrm battery operated equipment in them grin

DiscoDaisy Sat 19-Mar-11 17:59:07

In our nearest city there are 2 Ann Summers shops. 1 is for over 18's only and sells all the fetish and vibrators and adult stuff. The other sells the normal underwear that Ann Summers sell.

geordieminx Sat 19-Mar-11 17:59:35

I have been in that store too.

I'm actually surprised the kids wanted to go in... At that age I thought they would have run a mile!

Melly19MummyToBe Sat 19-Mar-11 18:01:17

Really Valium? I could do with a new, errrrmmmmm.... camera!!

Melly19MummyToBe Sat 19-Mar-11 18:02:28

Thats a good way of doing it Disco, I've never heard of splitting it into 2 seperate shops before! Maybe they should do that in all of them, like have 2 seperate rooms, or an upstairs or something!

valiumredhead Sat 19-Mar-11 18:03:47

As long as you don't mind your camera buzzing melly wink

Melly19MummyToBe Sat 19-Mar-11 18:06:21

Oh no I don't mind that at all, I find it helps if the camera buzzes quite a bit

JM31 Sat 19-Mar-11 18:26:37

So the general concensus appears to be it is ok as long as they only see the underwear, but Ann Summers shops have vibrators by the till.

JM31 Sat 19-Mar-11 18:34:16

I dont like to see children being exposed to adult sexuality before they are capable of dealing with it, mentally, emotionally or physically. Just because Ann Summers is at the mild end of the scale does that make it ok?

FourFortyFour Sat 19-Mar-11 18:37:07

I wouldn't take my children in an AS shop.

I was in there last week and didn't see any children though.

nurseblade Sat 19-Mar-11 18:40:16

Depends on the age of the child. I bought my first vibrator from Ann Summers when I was 15. I wouldn't have wanted to go in with my parents at that age though

EricNorthmansMistress Sat 19-Mar-11 18:40:56

YANBU at all, totally weird and unboundaried IMO.

SardineQueen Sat 19-Mar-11 18:44:52

YANBU

Although I imagine a standard 14yo might want to get in with their friends and giggle at the vibrators grin

I mean when you said with children I imagined you meant young ones - going in there with your mum when you're in your teens would just be excrutiating.

altinkum Sat 19-Mar-11 18:47:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now