Talk

Advanced search

To get my coil removed

(59 Posts)
Gemsy83 Mon 07-Mar-11 22:28:12

My OH doesnt want anymore kids, ive had the coil for the last four years so have sorted the contraception out. I dont particularly want to fall pregnant but think he can show some responsibility for the contraception from now on (i.e put something on the end of it or have the snip). I feel its making me a lot moodier, a lot more lethargic, far less libido and given me a massive appetite for junk. AIBU or has anyone else had a similar experience?

zipzap Mon 07-Mar-11 22:29:35

Doesn't sound unreasonable.

What does he say when you say it is his turn to sort out contraception for the next 4 years?

FabbyChic Mon 07-Mar-11 22:29:50

If you feel it is no longer right for you then have it removed, whilst you are there get some free condoms. Remember though that they don't always work!

I'd never wear a coil as it just aborts any pregnancy, it doesn't stop you getting pregnant.

Prolesworth Mon 07-Mar-11 22:31:26

Message withdrawn

Eh ?

I thought it acted like a giant fishing net ?? Stopping all the swimmers

What are the side effects of a copper coil ?

Gemsy83 Mon 07-Mar-11 22:33:13

Yes its a Mirena. No it doesn't 'abort' any pregnancies- it thickens the mucous at the neck of the womb preventing sperm from entering.

Gemsy83 Mon 07-Mar-11 22:34:24

He doesnt relish the thought of a vasectomy, says its too final for him. That I can understand but it annoys me the way its always left down to me to sort and its making me loopy.

Prolesworth Mon 07-Mar-11 22:35:13

Message withdrawn

eviscerateyourmemory Mon 07-Mar-11 22:35:48

Gemsy - have you considered a copper coil? No hormonal side effects with that at least.

Eurostar Mon 07-Mar-11 22:37:39

Definitely not BU. You need time off it to see if it has been affecting your moods. I think the hormone is pretty worn out after 4 years anyway isn't it?

expatinscotland Mon 07-Mar-11 22:38:09

Why should she have something shoved up her yin yang again?

Tell him to cover his stump each and every time because you're done sorted contraception.

FunnysInTheGarden Mon 07-Mar-11 22:38:50

how about Depo? I have an injection every 3 months. No side effects and it levels out my moods. No sex drive mind you, but have told DH he has to ask for it, as I will never remember to offer........!

Gemsy83 Mon 07-Mar-11 22:39:01

Apparently it lasts for 7 years (worked in family planning) but is only licensed for 5. The copper one puts me off because of stories of making bleeding heavier.

SueWhite Mon 07-Mar-11 22:39:09

All very well but if the condom breaks and she gets pregnant she will have to have a baby or an abortion. I would never rely on condoms.

Shit, i've had mine in for 7 years. Will it not work anymore ?

expatinscotland Mon 07-Mar-11 22:40:00

'how about Depo? I have an injection every 3 months. No side effects and it levels out my moods.'

If the Mirena is not agreeing with her, it's not likely Depo will. Many people have SERIOUS side effects with it.

OTheHugeDaffodils Mon 07-Mar-11 22:40:35

TBH while I see you want your oh to take some of the contraceptive burden, it's not worth the faff and worry every month. Get a copper one. I react dreadfully to hormonal contraception so it's a godsend

expatinscotland Mon 07-Mar-11 22:40:46

you can use a morning after pill if the condom breaks or use it in combination with something like Persona to decrease your risk of pregnancy.

OTheHugeDaffodils Mon 07-Mar-11 22:43:18

Re heavier periods - I'll take slighly heavier bleeding over paranoid misery and zero libido any day. grin

SueWhite Mon 07-Mar-11 23:15:12

I have a copper one, my first period was heavier, but then it gets a lot better. They are normal now. I recommend.

Eurostar Tue 08-Mar-11 22:21:24

Why don't people use caps anymore? Always been 100% effective for me and probably protected me from any cervical nasties along the way.

parakeet Tue 08-Mar-11 22:24:56

Could anyone else who's used the copper coil comment about heavier bleeding or cramping please?

StayFrosty Tue 08-Mar-11 22:29:31

i had a cap, am on the pill now for reasons unrelated to contraception (ovulation pain). but cap has always done me rightly in long term relationships.

Unwind Tue 08-Mar-11 22:33:14

YANBU

I think the ring replaced the cap, in the same way that the mirena replaced the coil

is the cap not a bit of a passion killer, in that you have to insert it before sex, or can you just leave it in, just in case?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now