Talk

Advanced search

to think that mothers who go out clubbing with their teenage daughters are sad bints?

(124 Posts)
GetOrfMoiLand Sat 12-Feb-11 23:22:55

I get this a lot now my daughter is in her mid teens 'oh soon you will both be out clubbing together'

I can't imagine anything worse. She can go out with her mates. I think seeing 30/40 something women dancing around with their teenager daughters looks utterly sad.

BitOfFun Sat 12-Feb-11 23:24:08

Agreed.

I prefer to have my teenage daughter watch Cash In The Attic with me.

Dansmommy Sat 12-Feb-11 23:24:54

I agree.

(I came on to say "I agree but you'll get flamed" but it turns out you're mumsnet royalty so I'll stick to my first thought! grin)

LibraPoppyGirl Sat 12-Feb-11 23:25:28

Very sad, I agree YANBU

scurryfunge Sat 12-Feb-11 23:25:44

I grew out of clubbing in 1986 -wouldn't dream of setting foot in a nightclub voluntarily.

reelingintheyears Sat 12-Feb-11 23:26:02

I agree.

sharbie Sat 12-Feb-11 23:27:03

<shudder> do people really do this ?

GetOrfMoiLand Sat 12-Feb-11 23:28:13

Oh I can't be doing with Cash in the Attic. It has to be DIY SOS or Maury grin

I just want to sit down (with music not so loud that I can't HEAR MYSELF THINK) and work my way through a cocktail menu when I go out for an evening.

Not have jugs of blue drink in Yates Wine Bar and end up dancing to something like dubstep in a sweaty club.

God I am old <angela lansbury emoticon>

EightiesChick Sat 12-Feb-11 23:28:27

I also can't imagine anything worse but I would have a sneaking admiration for the stamina of anyone who was able to do it. It has now reminded me of the bit in Miranda where she makes friends with a much younger woman who is up for clubbing all night and she says 'Three words. Home. For. Poirot'. grin

GetOrfMoiLand Sat 12-Feb-11 23:29:38

My SIL said this to me earlier (she is not my favourite person in the world admittedly).

She said she loved it when her dd had her 18th - she went out clubbing with her dd and all her mates, and didn't get in until 6am shock.

I smiled weakly and poured the tea grin

reddaisy Sat 12-Feb-11 23:29:48

Yes Sharbie. I know a few and people snigger at them, tis is cruel but they bring it on themselves. I have known a mum to snog her daughter's friends on the dancefloor. Grim.

BitOfFun Sat 12-Feb-11 23:29:58

Good line grin

GetOrfMoiLand Sat 12-Feb-11 23:30:30

Mumsnet royalty - bah

GreenEyesandHam Sat 12-Feb-11 23:31:00

I'm 36. I don't club.

I might party, but I don't club.

I was talking about this with my hubby recently, I actually think parents have a real duty to stay the feck away from establishments that may be frequented by their offspring (for a few formative years at least).

He was a bit nonplussed. But then, he didn't have completely shameful, embarrassing parents like I had

vicbar Sat 12-Feb-11 23:31:09

Havent you seen 'hotter than my daughter' ? Not only do these mums go clubbing with the DD they also try to outdo them in the pulling stakes! Its truly tragic.
So glad my mum doesnt drink or dance and would never do this to me.

Changeisagoodthing Sat 12-Feb-11 23:31:43

Yes

As are those who say that their daughter is their best friend......

No she is your daughter. You may think she is your best friend because you are deluded. She probably wouldn't say the same.

sharbie Sat 12-Feb-11 23:32:04

blimey reddaisy

Dansmommy Sat 12-Feb-11 23:32:04

It wasn't meant as an insult! grin

wheredidyoulastseeit Sat 12-Feb-11 23:32:29

My friends are all having their 50ths in clubs and theirs and ours children are all invited, it is lovely the teenagers get to mix in a safe environment and the adults get to drink and dance, whats the problem.

Would you rather your young teenage kids out by themselves drinking and vomiting in the road, because after 16 years of supervised play and afterschool activities they're probably a bit too naive to be dropped off at the local Wetherspoons and left to it.

vicbar Sat 12-Feb-11 23:34:05

OMG just remembered someonee I worked with went clubbing with her 20 yo DD pulled a young whipper snapper and borrowed the taxi money from her DD so she wouldnt have to do the walk of shame.
She came to work on Monday boasting about it, I was dry puking, she'ss older than my mum for fecks sake I dont need deatils EVER. <rocks herself to rid me head of the memories emoticon>

reelingintheyears Sat 12-Feb-11 23:34:27

'Hotter than my daughter' is awful.

I can't imagine my Ma and i going clubbing and getting pissed together.
Nor could i do it with my DD.

muggglewump Sat 12-Feb-11 23:34:38

Agree.
DD is 9, I like to think I'm quite cool, and down with the kidz and such, but clubbing?
I don't think so.

For a start, it's too loud, and I'd do Mum dancing, and I'd be bored.

DD will be spared me joining her in a few years.

She thinks I'm naf now so I dread to think what I'll be when she's a teen.

GreenEyesandHam Sat 12-Feb-11 23:34:44

Teenagers choosing to accept an invite to a 50th is fine.

Older parents inviting themselves along to teenage party nights is not

magnolia74 Sat 12-Feb-11 23:35:07

A few years ago when I was younger blushand dd1 was too, I did comment that when she got older I would take her clubbing.

She is almost 16 and tonight is at my chemical romance concert while I watch trauma unit hmm blush

BitOfFun Sat 12-Feb-11 23:35:10

I can't see myself ever dropping dd off at Wetherspoons, if I'm honest. And there is a world of difference inviting teens to a family party to a place you've hired, and jostling with the youngsters to dub beatz in town.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now