Talk

Advanced search

ADHD son exclusion

(37 Posts)
tracey37 Thu 03-Feb-11 23:08:14

my son has just been diagnosed with ADHD he'll be 7 this month and has been excluded seems to see him as a 'naughty boy' and is singling him out all the time coz he wont 'follow the school rules!' has anyone else had simular problems? and any comments would be helpful thank you

mutznutz Thu 03-Feb-11 23:13:33

what was he excluded for?

beatenbyayellowteacup Thu 03-Feb-11 23:13:58

what is the treatment he will have?

Alwaysworthchecking Thu 03-Feb-11 23:15:01

Tracey37, I know of a boy in a similar situation, but not really enough about it to comment intelligently. Try posting in 'Education' or 'Special Needs' though, because there you'll find people with similar experiences and far more knowledge than me.
Hope you find some good advice!

tracey37 Thu 03-Feb-11 23:24:33

treatment has not been decided yet as it was only this morning we was told it was ADHD so been given choice of drugs or behaviour treatment he been excluded 3 times now twice 4 hitting out at other children and pe teacher when he was trying to 'frog march him by the arm 2 head teacher which my son didnt like' and once coz he wouldnt settle in class and had loads of warnings!

KangarooCaught Thu 03-Feb-11 23:29:19

Did school instigate the assessment procedure? Is there going to be a meeting with school and Ed Psych who conducted the assessment?

beatenbyayellowteacup Thu 03-Feb-11 23:29:59

Hmmm. I've seen a few kids who were wild (ie running down corridors screaming out at teachers/aggressive behaviour) but when medicated were actually brilliant. I'm not a fan of medication generally but in some cases it's just amazing what a difference you can see. Don't rule it out, but if he really doesn't like it, reconsider.

It's a good thing that he was diagnosed so early.

The other thing is, don't define him by his ADHD (not saying you do), but it's easy to see someone as their difficulty rather than that being part of him.

There may also be foods that make his behaviour worse. Not sure how to find out about this though - sorry!

huddspur Thu 03-Feb-11 23:31:46

If he's hitting other pupils then he's going to get excluded irrespective of anything

cat64 Thu 03-Feb-11 23:35:02

Message withdrawn

KangarooCaught Thu 03-Feb-11 23:36:12

Agreed, to protect the children, although might be internal rather than external exclusion. They have a duty of care to all. But what is the Ed Psych suggesting re the school & best methods of helping ds? And what level of action/support is he advising? Are they going for statementing, do you know?

beatenbyayellowteacup Thu 03-Feb-11 23:37:26

ADHD can also manifest as aggressive and disrespectful behaviour though. It does not excuse hurting others so this needs to be carefully explained, but it's not that simple.

tracey37 Thu 03-Feb-11 23:38:02

ed psych already seen him 3 months ago school did start the ball rolling but ive had to push to get results and answers ever since he was assesed today by the paediatric clinic

wasuup3000 Thu 03-Feb-11 23:41:00

Has he a TA or any in school support?

wasuup3000 Thu 03-Feb-11 23:43:14

Either way give IPSEA and ACE or SOS SEN a call and get some advice on what to next.

mutznutz Thu 03-Feb-11 23:48:25

An exclusion may not be a bad thing until his treatment can be sorted out. Obviously you know he can't go round hitting other children and teachers...and internal exclusions are fairly impossible at an Infant school (not to mention very costly)

tracey37 Thu 03-Feb-11 23:52:33

i totaling agree that my son should not hurt other children when he has hit out and we sit down and talk to him about it there is always something that triggers him off even if it is a minor thing to us it seems major to him 1 of the problems i have got at the moment is that he's been branded 'a naughty boy' by other children in the school and this upsets him even thou sometimes he does try his hardest to be good

mutznutz Thu 03-Feb-11 23:56:18

Yes that is usually a big problem isn't it? The child can get branded as naughty, and the other children learn which buttons to push...in order to wind him up and watch him go as it were.

On the plus side (and I know it doesn't seem like it now) at least the diagnosis is the first step to sorting all this out. The school will also recieve extra funding due to it..and therefore should be able to make SEN arrangements although money is so tight at the moment.

tracey37 Thu 03-Feb-11 23:56:20

we had senco coming into the school to help him with his temper issues but that has all stopped now and im not sure wot other help we can get for him?

beatenbyayellowteacup Thu 03-Feb-11 23:59:35

Sorry to be a downer but not sure that the school will receive extra funding for ADHD. If you can get him statemented then they will, but it does seem unlikely from what you've said so far.

Personally I'd look at medication.

mutznutz Fri 04-Feb-11 00:00:50

Sorry I was jumping the gun and assuming the statement would follow.

tracey37 Fri 04-Feb-11 00:03:53

no it doesnt feel like a plus side at the mo as ive got mixed feeling about the outcome of today! but the main thing now for me is to find out as much as i can so i can help my little un move forward and for me to be able to cope with his 'hypo times' rather than me getting cross with him

A1980 Fri 04-Feb-11 00:11:42

I really sympathise but imagine how you'd feel if it was your child who had been hit by a disruptive child, behavioural difficulties or not. You'd probably be furious.

ADHD or not, repeatedly hitting out at children will bet a child excluded.

I really hope he improves and gets the support and help he needs.

beatenbyayellowteacup Fri 04-Feb-11 00:12:02

I can imagine, but knowledge is power so you can at least make decisions to move forward now.

tracey37 Fri 04-Feb-11 00:27:26

yes i would be furious like any other parent would be im not sayning that coz my son has ADHD gives him an excuse for hitting out and im trying very hard to teach him that this is not good behaviour but at the same time there are some children that will seek my son out to tease him and wind him up which i have seen myself

mutznutz Fri 04-Feb-11 00:39:56

You do seem to have a very sensible attitude towards this OP...that will definitely help. Good luck and don't forget, although the school had to exclude him..they really do hate doing that at Infant level as they see it as a failing on their part (well most good schools do) so hopefully they'll be helpful now you have a diagnosis.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now