Talk

Advanced search

To be irritated by a mother of two girls telling me that as a mother of two boys I'm going "to be busy".

(103 Posts)
SpiderWilliam Thu 03-Feb-11 15:44:16

Is parenting girls really such a doddle? Surely she is quite busy herself. She was a nice lady at the swings, and it was an idle comment. However, it really saddens me that so many people seem to have a downer on male children.

bubblewrapped Thu 03-Feb-11 15:45:04

I would say it is the other way round anyway! lol...

prettymuchapixiegirl Thu 03-Feb-11 15:45:48

I have 2 older girls and an 18 month old DS, and I can honestly say that yes, parenting my girls was a doddle, and parenting DS is rather challenging....

Not sure how this mother of only girls can know what boys are like to bring up though.

SoupDragon Thu 03-Feb-11 15:46:15

It was just small talk.

You are going to be busy after all. Any parent of two will.

TheSkiingGardener Thu 03-Feb-11 15:46:45

No, 'tis true. Girl babies come out of the womb and then sit down and make daisy chains and sing sweetly for the next 7 years. Boy children run out toting guns and hitting people.

Fact.

southeastastra Thu 03-Feb-11 15:46:58

maybe she's referring to the mess they make grin

SoupDragon Thu 03-Feb-11 15:46:59

Oh, and I have two boys and a girl. The boys are a piece of cake, DD is so bloody complicated (and she's only 5)

harassedinherpants Thu 03-Feb-11 15:47:00

She's in for a shock!

I have 3 dc's: ds1 21, ds2 19 and dd 4.5. My dd is much harder work than the boys. She's more demanding, and although she does play nicely alone, would much rather play with me. She always wants to be cake making, doing make up and other pinkness, when the boys were just happy with a footy in the garden.

Majority of my friends think girls are much harder too.

Oh, I do love her to bits though, even when she's a monster grin.

coldtits Thu 03-Feb-11 15:47:04

Maybe she had brothers?

the person with the hardest parenting job that I know of has 3 girls under 5. The person with the easiest has 2 boys with a 4 year gap.

ENormaSnob Thu 03-Feb-11 15:47:31

Other way around in this house.

2ds 1dd

guess it depends on the child.

TheSkiingGardener Thu 03-Feb-11 15:47:31

PS, I am female. I was a nightmare hyperactive baby and a thousand times more work than my brother.

ramonaquimby Thu 03-Feb-11 15:47:53

yes yabu

you are easily irritated?!

BuzzLightBeer Thu 03-Feb-11 15:47:54

Perhaps she meant you'll be busy, as I am with 2 children. Honestly, some people would find an argument in an empty room.

Sarsaparilllla Thu 03-Feb-11 15:48:15

Maybe she meant because you have 2 children, as she does, regardless of gender?

timetomove Thu 03-Feb-11 15:49:09

Mothers with just girls tend to get the comment that the teenage years will be difficult. it is just small talk either way.

cantspel Thu 03-Feb-11 15:49:11

I only have boys and although i dont have girls having once been one and know just what girls can be like i am very happy just to have sons

StormInaCCup Thu 03-Feb-11 15:49:14

I am pregnant with my first - a little boy. I too have noticed the downer on baby boys which makes me quite sad TBH. There seems to be far more posts on forums about people being upset if they find out they are having a boy instead of a girl - I don't really get it. Surely a baby is just a baby and your children will grow up to be individuals anyway?

thebountymuncher Thu 03-Feb-11 15:49:32

My DD was an awful lot easier to look after than DS is. But she is nearly 12 now and a bit of a PITA a lot of the time, so it all evens out! wink

amothersplaceisinthewrong Thu 03-Feb-11 15:49:45

I have one of each. DS was three times the work of DD......until they became teenagers....

mumbar Thu 03-Feb-11 15:51:06

There was a slot this morning on Daybreak about this. Consenses from all parents ringing in was boys easier than girls.

I have a DS who is easier than friends dd's.

Not sure how true it is without one of each myself to compare that have been parented the same way.

Ormirian Thu 03-Feb-11 15:51:17

<sneaks onto thread to say that yes, my boys were harder work at certain stages of their lives than my DD>

pagwatch Thu 03-Feb-11 15:51:29

She was making small talk. That's all.

I have two boys and a girl. I have heard odd sweeping statements about both. I pay no more attention than I do when I ask them how they are and they say 'fine thanks' ?

I assume general smiley chit chat not a sworn affirmation that they are free from illness or affliction.

upahill Thu 03-Feb-11 15:54:16

Seriously you are so over thinking it!

SpiderWilliam Thu 03-Feb-11 15:57:56

I will readily accept that I am both over thinking it and probably easily irritated at the moment (sleep deprivation).

Happy to see from the various replies that people have a mixture of experiences with boys and girls.

upahill Thu 03-Feb-11 16:52:06

grin spider women I know what lack of sleep does. It makes me very snappy!

However I've got 2 boys (14 and 11) and it does get a bit relentless!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now