I have no idea....could I drive to Durham?

(84 Posts)
BluddyMoFo Tue 25-Jan-11 23:24:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

seeker Tue 25-Jan-11 23:25:42

Go for it. You'll be fine. Have a bit of a practice beforehand and then of you go!

FabbyChic Tue 25-Jan-11 23:26:23

Depends on the length of the drive in a £500 car, would it go long distances? You should get RAC cover and remember you have to wear green plates to show you are a new driver.

It's going to be scary but the choice is yours.

LoisSanger Tue 25-Jan-11 23:27:32

Why would it be too far as a new driver? I would say that £500 cars (we have one) can be a little temperamental but I would hate to be car-less.

BluddyMoFo Tue 25-Jan-11 23:27:45

ilovemyhens Tue 25-Jan-11 23:27:50

Motorway lessons are very useful. I only had the one and it was invaluable.

FabbyChic Tue 25-Jan-11 23:29:19

Liverpool is five hours a way and on Motorways a £500 car may not get you that far get RAC cover just in case and find out some basic mechanical stuff about the car you will be driving.

I been driving 18 years and that drive would be a doddle for me but just after a test and no driving in the interim? Sorry that's a long haul.

Be scary too.

manicbmc Tue 25-Jan-11 23:30:08

You'll be fine Mofo! grin
Is there anyone you can share the driving with - as it's a bloody long way.
I'm only 20miles or so from Durham - I have tea and also biscuits biscuit grin

ilovemyhens Tue 25-Jan-11 23:30:15

Durham is easy to drive to - just up the M1 and then the A1 or straight up the A1. You just sit on the motorway and wait 'till you're there grin

ilovemyhens Tue 25-Jan-11 23:31:17

I live just outside of Durham grin

huddspur Tue 25-Jan-11 23:32:30

I would be more worried about whether the car can do it. Motorway driving is the easiest driving of all so you'll be fine

FabbyChic Tue 25-Jan-11 23:32:58

Its not so much the drive, but the car she drives in.

MillyR Tue 25-Jan-11 23:33:32

Brighton to Durham return for 2 adults and 2 children is about £140 with a family rail card.

MrsCuldesac Tue 25-Jan-11 23:36:48

Perhaps you could ask the family to chip in and help you hire a car (and share fuel costs) for these journeys? That way you'd get a new car, with breakdown cover, for only as long as you need it. And new cars are so much easier to drive than troublesome, eccentric older ones where you have to cope with their funny little habits. With several hundred stress-free miles under your belt, you'll maybe feel more confident about buying a car of your own. Good luck!

BluddyMoFo Tue 25-Jan-11 23:39:13

bubblewrapped Tue 25-Jan-11 23:40:12

Its not just buying a car, its insuring a car too. And fuel will cost you at least £150 for that round trip.

BluddyMoFo Tue 25-Jan-11 23:40:49

olderandwider Tue 25-Jan-11 23:44:20

How much will fuel cost?

bubblewrapped Tue 25-Jan-11 23:45:34

About £150 at least.

JaneS Tue 25-Jan-11 23:52:54

Tba, I wouldn't have been able to do that when I'd passed that recently. It took me a while to build up to long distances without getting very, very tired/stressed - so much so I knew I couldn't safely drive further. (I'm fine now - will happily do that distance and back and not think much of it). Is it possible for you to try a longer drive without jumping straight to 5 hours?

Surprised at fuel costing £150 for that journey though, but I don't know what your car is, so that may be right.

Changeisagoodthing Tue 25-Jan-11 23:58:47

Have you found out how much insurance will be on the car? More than the purchase price possibly.

bubblewrapped Tue 25-Jan-11 23:59:27

I live in London and regularly drive to Manchester which is a round trip of 500 miles, and that costs me around £120, (fuel has gone up a fair bit since I last did the trip in November too).

Add on the 40 or so miles from brighton, and the extra to Durham and I would say it would easily be £150, and I have a fairly economical car too.

As far as the actual driving goes, its almost all motorway, so as long as you are ok on a motorway and pick the quiet times (avoid M25 at rush hours), make regular stops for a break, its an easy journey as there is no stress with roundabouts, junctions, etc for the majority of the trip.

I would also strongly advise using a sat nav too, to save faffing with maps, and worrying if you miss a turn on the motorway, as the sat nav will automatically re-route you and get you back on the right journey.

RespectTheDoughnut Wed 26-Jan-11 00:01:34

I passed a week ago & this weekend did two two hour journeys on the motorway. I know that's not as far, but once you're on the motorway, you just sit there! I was surprised how stress-free it actually was. You can have breaks at services, so it should be fine.

FabbyChic Wed 26-Jan-11 00:02:58

Insurance is probably going to cost 600.00, you need RAC cover on a banger. Thats 29.00 Petrol will cost a ton at least.

BluddyMoFo Wed 26-Jan-11 00:06:28

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now