Advanced search

to have replied this, to this comment

(33 Posts)
altinkum Sat 15-Jan-11 13:27:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

charliesmommy Sat 15-Jan-11 13:28:49

for some it is free...

BluTac Sat 15-Jan-11 13:29:00

Still not ok to be abusive though, is it?

cookieraymond Sat 15-Jan-11 13:29:41

There are always exceptions, but essentially if you pay NI contributions then yes you are contributing towards the NHS and paying for healthcare.

YANBU

altinkum Sat 15-Jan-11 13:30:03

CarGirl Sat 15-Jan-11 13:30:05

charliesmommy it's only free for a small percentage of adults - those who have NEVER worked or NEVER earned above the weekly NI contribution level.

BluTac Sat 15-Jan-11 13:31:39

Ok then, YANBU, and you're right to point it out, people don't seem to connect taxes = NHS.

WorzselMummage Sat 15-Jan-11 13:32:44

My children and I have had hundreds of thousands of pounds of treatment over the last 5 years and I pay very little tax and ni as a low earner so you could say it's been free for me.

I appreciate is hugely, anyone who doesnt is an idiot twat tbh!

altinkum Sat 15-Jan-11 13:36:30

xstitch Sat 15-Jan-11 13:42:10

Does she work in the NHS? Perhaps it is a reaction to being abused at work. Not a good idea to put it on FB but when you have been assaulted/threatened for the umpteenth time there can be a strong urge to say something you will regret later. Thankfully I have been able to bite my tongue up until now. Just trying to understand.

altinkum Sat 15-Jan-11 13:43:28

realrabbit Sat 15-Jan-11 13:57:50

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

altinkum Sat 15-Jan-11 14:05:11

MainlyMaynie Sat 15-Jan-11 14:10:37

YANBU and TBH I wouldn't be comfortable having her as a nurse if she was expecting gratitude for the care being 'free'. For lots of us it would be considerably cheaper to have the insurance based systems some other countries have, but we pay NI so the country as a whole benefits from having the NHS. And paying for her training incidentally.

altinkum Sat 15-Jan-11 14:13:42

moaningminniewhingesagain Sat 15-Jan-11 14:17:02

As a nurse I would second the advice to get the comment removed, for her sake. The NMC expect students and nurses to be professional both at work and outside it, this sort of comment is inappropriate really.

It is a bit concerning that she is so cynical towards her patients already when she is just getting started confused

Of course she is entitled to grumble if people are being very rude to her, but there are are more eloquent better ways to do it I suspect.

And YANBU to add what you did.

pastadoble Sat 15-Jan-11 14:19:58

The NHS isn't funded by NI contributions, it comes out of general taxation.

altinkum Sat 15-Jan-11 14:22:47

xstitch Sat 15-Jan-11 14:28:08

There is a group in society who will never stop being abusive to NHS staff and many who will never take responsibility for their own health. It is sad that she is so cynical so early. If she is so against the work she should quit, getting chucked out would not help get her an alternative career.

edam Sat 15-Jan-11 14:33:52

My sister was beaten up by a patient week before last. She didn't post anything rude about him on Facebook, though - has more nous than that. Actually didn't insult him at all, as it happens. (Man with moderate learning disability, angry because he didn't want to be in that placement, knew that the quickest way to get out was to start chucking furniture around and then attack someone so the police would be called. He was right, too.)

librarygirl81 Sat 15-Jan-11 14:35:32

Its £7.20 now and at least one of the drugs I have doesn't even cost that. So we are paying for NHS. Plus we pay alot of taxes. No one should have to put up with abuse though.

xstitch Sat 15-Jan-11 14:42:57

What really gets me is the people who tend to get abuse because of prescription charges are those who have no control over the charges. Well no more control than the person carrying out the abuse that is.

PacificDogwood Sat 15-Jan-11 14:47:26

Most people would faint clean away if they saw what their healthcare actually costs... Always liked the idea of giving people itemised bills after they had blood tests/x-rays/A+E attendances/surgery etc etc., not for them to pay (I love that the NHS is free at the point of access), but so they'd have a faint idea of what they are paying for with their NI/taxes...

Too bad, that that would be a nightmare to set up, administer and would cost loads hmm

<<frustrated>>

MrsPennySworth Sat 15-Jan-11 14:52:07

yanbu - she really should remove the comment though considering her career choice. I'm assuming this is on fb?

I just don't get why people who do jobs like these find it acceptable to write things about the general public on their fb status updates. They could get in so much trouble it just seems so ridiculous to say those sort of things!

I have a police woman on my fb who posted some status update once about the "general public being such idiots" or some such comment. Do these people really not realise how serious something like that would be taken by their bosses if they found out??

xstitch Sat 15-Jan-11 14:54:28

I did do that once pacific. A woman said she was going to "wring my frigging little neck if I though she was going to pay £4 for her prescription" (see it was a long time ago.

Although I was shaking I was so fed up (the 3rd time I had been threatened that day) I smiled said that an alternative to paying that tax would be to ask the GP for a private prescription. Went and checked cost price of her medication the told her if she had a private prescription it would be £120 plus whatever the GP charged (if at all) for a private consultation before offering to return the prescription to the GP as not dispensed. blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now